- Volume 15 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
The Relationship among Loneliness, Stress, and Smartphone Addiction of Adolescents in the Era of Digitalization
디지털 시대 청소년의 외로움, 스트레스, 스마트폰 중독의 영향관계
- Kim, Ji-Youngng (Dept. of Nursing, Changwon Moonsung University)
- 김지영 (창원문성대학교 간호과)
- Received : 2017.07.25
- Accepted : 2017.09.20
- Published : 2017.09.28
Several studies have suggested that lonely adolescents showed higher increases in stress and they easily addicted smartphone utilization for comforting loneliness and stress. Studies, moreover, have claimed that smartphone addiction has negative effects on mental health of adolescents. To contribute to knowledge on these topics, this study is to investigate to the relationship among adolescents' loneliness, stress, and smartphone addiction. To identify test subjects, the study conducted a survey that collected data from Korean adolescents, and the survey of this study was completed between April 1, 2017 and April 15, 2017. A total of 356 adolescents completed the survey, and the final data of empirical test of the study was 327. The empirical results demonstrate that the relationship between loneliness and stress of adolescents is mediated by four sub-factors of smartphone addiction such as difficulty of daily life, directivity of virtual life, withdrawal symptom, and tolerance. The results indicated that a smartphone addiction risk of adolescents was negatively related to their mental health, especially loneliness and stress.
Loneliness;Stress;Smartphone Addition;Mediation Effect;Mental Health
- Korea Information Society Development Institute, "Index of ICT development and trend." Vol.16-02, pp.1-10, 2016.
- Bloter, "Smartphone penetration of Korea ranked the first for a second successive year." http://www.bloter.net/archives/270073, 2017.
- J. Jeong, "One in seven Korean adolescent addicted smartphone and Internet." The Hankook, 2017.
- B. N. Kim, "Effect of Smartphone addiction on Youth's sociality development." The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol.17, No.4, pp.208-217, 2013.
- S. C. Shin & S. K. Baek, "The influence of adolescents smartphone addiction on aggression." Crisis and Emergency Management, Vol.9, No.11, pp.345-362, 2013.
- H. T. Ha & H. G. Baek, "A study on relationship between youth smartphone addiction and mind health, and parameter effect of school life adaption." Journal of the Korean Association of Computer Education, Vol.17, No.6, pp.147-159, 2014.
- H-G. Baek & J-W. Yun, "A study on the relation between adolescent's smartphone addiction and psychological mindness." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.12, No.7, pp.389-400, 2014.
- K-A. Jung & B-W. Kim, "The difference of the ego-resilience and disagreement in parents' rearing attitude according to the levels of the smartphone addiction of adolescents." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol.13, No.2, pp.299-308, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.2.299
- L. Pavia, P. Cavani, M. Di Blasi, & C. Giordano, "Smartphone Addiction Inventory (SPAI): Psychometric properties and confirmatory factor analysis." Computers in Human Behavior, Vol.63, pp.170-178, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2016.05.039
- J. I. Yuh, "The relationship between loneliness and smartphone addiction symptoms among middle school students: Testing the mediating role of self-esteem." Journal of Adolescent Studies, Vol.23, No.1, pp.129-152, 2016.
- K. H. Kim & G. H. Lee, "A study on the influence of smartphone addiction and life stress on suicidal impulse for Youth: With an emphasis on the moderation effect of social support." Survey Research, Vol.17, No.4, pp.35-45, 2016. https://doi.org/10.20997/SR.17.4.2
- H. S, Ahn, The effects of personal, environmental, smartphone characteristics factors on the smartphone addiction degrees and daily life of university students, Journal of Digital convergence, Vol.15, No.6, pp.39-50, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.3.39
- H. K. Jeong, "The influences of loneliness, anger and suicidal perception on juvenile delinquency." Journal of Korea Society of Wellness, Vol.11, No.4, pp.89-99, 2016.
- A. M. Cavanaugh & C. Buehler, "Adolescent loneliness and social anxiety: The role of multiple sources of support." Journal of Social and Personal Relationships, Vol.33, No,2, pp.149-170, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1177/0265407514567837
- S. J. Lee. C. Lee, & C. Lee, "Smartphone addiction and application usage in Korean adolescents: Effects of mediation strategies." Social Behavior and Personality: An International Journal, Vol.44, No.9, pp.1525-1534, 2016. https://doi.org/10.2224/sbp.2016.44.9.1525
- Y. J. Jeon, "A study on stress, coping strategies and psychological outcomes of dual-career wives." Family and Environment Research, Vol.35, No.1, pp.339-355, 1997.
- C. Y. S. Lee & S. E. Goldstein, "Loneliness, stress, and social support in young adulthood: Does the source of support matter?" Journal of youth and adolescence, Vol.45, No.3, pp.568-580, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10964-015-0395-9
- A. G. Jorgenson, R. C. Hsiao, & C. F. Yen, "Internet addiction and other behavioral addictions." Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics of North America, Vol.25, No.3, pp.509-520, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chc.2016.03.004
- C. B. Cho, "The effect of peer relationship of adolescents and smartphone addiction: Focused on the mediating effect of depression." Korean Journal of Social Welfare Research, Vol.52, pp.5-34, 2017. https://doi.org/10.17997/SWRY.52.1.1
- J. H. Shin & M. K. Jang, "Effect of Group sandplay theraphy to be addicted youth's addiction." Journal of Symbols and Sandplay Theraphy, Vol.7, No.1, pp.31-45, 2016.
- J. H. Park & H. H. Park, "The effects of children's loneliness and stress-coping behaviors on Internet game addiction: A focus on gender differences." Korean Journal of Play Therapy, Vol.17, No.2, pp.179-192, 2014.
- J. H. Ko & K. R. Yoon, "The relationship between daily life stress and suicidal ideation of adolescents: The role of ego-resiliency as a buffer." Study on Korean Youth, Vol.18, No.1, pp.185-212, 2007.
- J. C. Woodward & B. D. Frank, Rural adolescent loneliness and coping strategies, Adolescence, Vol.23, No.91, p.559, 1988.
- A. J. Whitehouse, K. Durkin, E. Jaquet, & K. Ziatas, "Friendship, loneliness and depression in adolescents with Asperger's Syndrome." Journal of Adolescence, Vol.32, No.2, pp.309-322, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adolescence.2008.03.004
- M. Kwon, D. Kim, H. Cho, & S. Yang, "The smartphone addiction scale: development and validation of a short version for adolescents." PloS, Vol.8, No.12, e83558, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0083558
- N. S. Hawi & M. Samaha, "To excel or not to excel: Strong evidence on the adverse effect of smartphone addiction on academic performance." Computers & Education, Vol.98, pp.81-89, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compedu.2016.03.007
- Y. A. Kim, "The relationship of stress levels, social support, and health behaviors in the adolescent population." Child Health Research, Vol.7, No.2, pp.203-212, 2001.
- H. B. Kim, "Research trend in smartphone addiction." Korean Association of Addiction Crime Review, Vol.3, No.1, pp.74-89, 2013.
- Y. H. Lin, P. H. Lin, C. L. Chiang, Y. H. Lee, C. C. Yang, T. B. Kuo, & S. Liln, "Incorporation of mobile application measures into the diagnosis of smartphone Addiction." The Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, In press, 2017.
- R. C. King & S. Dong, "The impact of smartphone on young adults." The Business & Management Review, Vol.8, No.4, p.342, 2017.