- Volume 15 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
The Experience of Life Reconstruction in Hemodialysis Patients with Chronic Renal Failure
만성신부전 혈액투석 환자의 삶의 재구성 경험에 관한 현상학적 연구
- Kim, Yun-Jeong (Dept. of Office, The Society of Digital Policy & Management) ;
- Kwon, Su-hye (College of Nursing, Kosin University)
- Received : 2017.07.22
- Accepted : 2017.09.20
- Published : 2017.09.28
This study was a qualitative study using Colaizzi's phenomenological study method to understand the experience of reconstructing life through hemodialysis in chronic renal failure patients and to clarify the meaning of their vivid experience. The participants were eight chronic renal failure patients receiving hemodialysis. Data were collected through individual in - depth interviews with participants. The five categories that were found in the study were 'The beginning of unexpected difficulties', 'Burden of survival brought on by hemodialysis', 'The driving force of recovery', 'Choices and concentration of today in order', ' Every day life which must be woven sincerely'. The results of this study will help clinicians better understand the physical and mental suffering experienced by patients with chronic renal failure receiving hemodialysis and how they are constantly trying to adapt to a changed lifestyle. Also it might provide basic data for the development of efficient nursing intervention for the health management of hemodialysis patients.
End-stage Renal Disease;Hemodialysis;Life Reorganizing Experiences;Phenomenology;Qualitative research
- E. Braunwald, A. Fauci, D. Kasper, S. Hauser & D. Longo, "Harrison's principles of internal medicine. New York: McGraw-Hill", pp.1598-1599, 2006.
- Korean Society of Nephrology. Current renal replacement therapy in Korea: Insan memorial dialysis registry Seoul: Korean Society of Nephrology Home page, http://www.ksn.or.kr/journal/2016/index.html, April 1, 2017.
- H. S. Jang, C. S. Lee, & Y. H. Yang, "Influence of Uncertainty and Uncertainty Appraisal on Self-management in Hemodialysis Patients. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing.", Vol. 45, No. 2, pp. 271-279, 2015. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2015.45.2.271
- Bayhakki & Hatthakit U. , "Lived experiences of patients on hemodialysis: a meta-synthesis. Nephrology Nursing Journal", Vol. 39, No. 4, pp. 295-304, 2012.
- Kaba E., Bellou P., Iordanou P., Andrea S., Kyritsi E., & Gerogianni G., "Problems experienced by haemodialysis patients in Greece. British Journal of Nursing", Vol. 16, No. 14, pp. 868-872, 2007. https://doi.org/10.12968/bjon.2007.16.14.24325
- J. E. Cha, "Relationships between compliance and health-related quality of life in patients with hemodialysis. Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society", Vol. 16, No. 10, pp. 6495-6503, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.10.6495
- A. L. Kim, "Stress, State Anxiety, Family Support, Patient Provider Relationship and Sleep Disturbance of Hemodialysis Patient. Journal of the Korean Data Analysis Society" Vol. 16, No. 4(B), pp. 2161-2175, 2014.
- J. J. Jeon, Y. M. Jung, Y. M. Cho, J. S. Kim, Y. H. Back, J. H. Kim & J. H. Park, "A Study on Self-Esteem, Health Promoting Behavior and the Quality of Life of the patients undergoing Hemodialysis. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing", Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 134-146, 2000.
- P. L. Kimmel, "Quality of Life in Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease: Focus on End-stage Renal Disease Treated with Hemodialysis. Seminars in Nephrology", Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 68-79, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.semnephrol.2005.06.015
- H. W. Kim, "Fatigue and Fatigue-regulation Behavior in Hemodialysis Patients. The Journal of digital policy & management", Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 5-12. 2012.
- E. S. Cho, "Effect of self awareness of halitosis on the quality of life related to oral health in patients with chronic renal failure. The Journal of digital policy & management", Vol. 11, No. 12, pp. 607-614, 2013.
- E. H. Choi, "Symptoms, Mood and Sleep Disturbance in Hemodialysis. Korean Academic Society of Rehabilitation Nursing Research", Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 105-113, 2010.
- N. S. Seo, S. J. Kang, J. H. Kim & S. J. Kim, "Relationships between Fatigue, Sleep Disturbance, Stress, Self-efficacy and Depression in Hemodialysis Patients. Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research", Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 285-297, 2013.
- H. B. Kim, "A Grounded Theory Approach = Adjustment Process of Hemodialysis Patients, Korean Academic Society of Rehabilitation Nursing Research", Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 217-225, 2002.
- H. B. Kim, "A Study on Caring Experience from their Spouses Perceived by Hemodialysis Patients : A Grounded Theory. Korean Academic Society of Rehabilitation Nursing Research", Vol. 8, No. 2, pp. 157-164, 2005.
- M. S. Park & M. Y. Kim, "Work Experience of Patients Undergoing Hemodialysis. The Korean journal of fundamentals of nursing", Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 149-158, 2010.
- N. I. Lee, " Phenomenology and qualitative research. Paju: Hangilsa Corporation", pp. 1-415, 2014.
- S. N. Cho, H. J. Lee, Y. J. Joo & N. Y. Kim, "Qualitative research design& practice. Seoul: Greenpress", pp. 1-313, 2011.
- Colaizzi F. E., "Psychological research as the phenomenologist view it. In Valle R. S., King M.(eds.) Existential phenomenological alternatives for psychology. New York: Oxford University Press", p. 6, 1978.
- Lincoln Y. S., & Guba E. G " Naturalistic inquiry. Beverly Hills : CA : Sage.", pp.1-416, 1985.
- Y. J. Kim & H. J. Choi, " The Influence of Uncertainty and Social Support on General Well-being among Hemodialysis Patients. Korean Academic Society of Rehabilitation Nursing Research", Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 20-29, 2012. https://doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2012.20
- E. J. Park, Y. H. Kim & H. M. Son, "Adaptation Experience among Hemodialysis of Women with End-Stage Renal Disease. The Journal of Korean Academic Society of Adult Nursing", Vol. 27, No. 5, pp. 493-504, 2015. https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2015.27.5.493
- Paulo, R. S., Santos, P. R. Capote, J. R. Cavalcanti, J. U. Vieira, C. B. Rocha, A. R. Apolonio, N. A. & de Oliveira E. B., " Quality of life among women with sexual dysfunction undergoing hemodialysis: across sectional observational study. Health Quality of Life Outcomes, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp. 1477-7525, 2012.
- J. S. Kim & Y. S. Kim, "Factors Influencing on Quality of Life in Patients with Liver Cirrhosis: Convergence on the Theory of Unpleasant Symptoms. The Journal of digital policy & management", Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 271-281, 2015.
- H. W. Kim, "Dependence of Elderly Peritoneal Dialysis Patients and Burden on Family Caregivers. The Journal of digital policy & management", Vol. 10, No. 9, pp. 429-434, 2012.
- Y. S. Kim & M. Y. Kim, "The Experience of Fluid Management in Hemodialysis Patients. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing", Vol. 56, No. 5, pp.773-782, 2015
- Y. S. Choi, "Comparison in nursing needs of heart disease patients depending on whether or not readmitted. The Journal of digital policy & management", Vol. 12, No. 6, pp. 519-526, 2014.
- M. Y. Kim, E. A. Park & E. J. Kim, "Convergence for adherence: Subjectivity of immunosuppressive medication adherence after kidney transplantation patient. The Journal of digital policy & management", Vol. 13, No. 6, pp. 235-246, 2015.
- S. H. Bae & M. Y. Kim, "Self-care adherence in kidney transplant recipients: Convergence factors and elapsed time analysis. The Journal of digital policy & management", Vol. 15, No. 3, pp.259-266, 2017.
- J. H. Kim, I. S. Yu & M. H . Kim, " Kidney donors' experience. The Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing". Vol. 25, No. 2, pp. 222-243, 1995.