- Volume 15 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Relationship of Sleep Duration to Periodontal disease in Youth
청소년 수면시간과 치주질환의 관련성
- Lee, Sun-Hee (Dept. of Dental Hygiene, Kyungdong University)
- 이선희 (경동대학교 치위생학과)
- Received : 2017.07.21
- Accepted : 2017.09.20
- Published : 2017.09.28
The purpose of this study was to examine the relationship between hours of sleep and periodontal diseases among adolescents based on the raw materials of the 5th third-year(2012) national health and nutrition examination survey. The subjects in this study were 593 selected teens who were at the western ages of 12 to 18. SPSS 18.0 for Windows was used to analyze general characteristics, health behavior, oral health care, mental health, and relationship of sleep duration to periodontal disease. As a result, the groups of adolescents who were older and whose household income was larger slept for less hours, and higher toothbrushing frequencies led to more hours of sleep. There were 2.28-fold more periodontal diseases in the group that got five or less hours of sleep than in the group that got eight or more hours of sleep. The above-mentioned findings of the study illustrated that insufficient sleep is linked to periodontal health in adolescence.
Sleep duration;Periodontal disease;Stress;Oral health;Youth
- Han K, Park YM, Park JB, "Evaluation of an association between long sleep duration and periodontal disease among men and women using nationally representative data", Gaceta sanitaria, GACETA-1432, pp.1-8, 2017.
- Patel SR, Malhotra A, Gottlieb DJ, White DP, Hu FB, "Correlates of long sleep duration", Sleep, Vol. 29, No. 7, pp. 881-889, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1093/sleep/29.7.881
- Ji-Young Jo, Ji-Hye Jeong, So-Young Lee, Hyeon-Sook Kwun, Kyeong-Lok Park, Sang-Hwa Urm, Byeng-Chul Yu, "Influences of stress and fatigue on periodontal health indicators in patients with periodontal disease", Journal of Korean Society of Dental Hygiene, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp.225-231, 2016.
- Su-Jeong Lee, Jong-Hwa Jang, "The relationship between knowledge, attitude of periodontal diseases and dental health behavior in adolescents", Journal of korean society of dental hygiene, Vol. 12, No. 4, 2012.
- Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service, "Gingivitis and periodontal disease tendency", http://www.hira.or.kr, April 27, 2017.
- Van Duke TE, Dave S, "Risk factors for periodontitis", Journal of the International Academy of Periodontology, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp.3-7, 2005.
- Sheiham A, Nicolau B, "Evaluation of social and psychological factors in periodontal disease", Journal of periodontology 2000, Vol. 39, No. 1, pp.118-131, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0757.2005.00115.x
- Wan-Jung Kim, Suk-Chul Shin, Seong-Keun Wang, "The Effects of Sleep Deprivation on the Sleep Structure and Feeling of Fatigue in Healthy Adult", Chungnam medical journal, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp.237-251, 1993.
- Nakada T, Kato T, Numabe T, "Effects of fatigue from sleep deprivation on experimental periodontitis in rats", Journal of periodontal research, Vol. 50, No. 1, pp.131-137, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1111/jre.12189
- In-Ja Kim, "A Study on Women's Sleep Disorder and Depression", Master dissertation, pp.7-14, Ewha Womans University, 2000.
- Ye-June Park, "Correlation between stress and periodontal disease" Master dissertation, p.8, Chonnam National University, 2014.
- Ardila CM, Guzman IC, "Association of Porphyromonas gingivalis with high levels of stress-induced hormone cortisol in chronic periodontitis patients.", Journal of investigative and clinical dentistry, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp.361-367, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1111/jicd.12175
- Akhter R, Hannan M, Okhubo R, Morita M, "Relationship between stress factor and periodontal disease in a rural area population in Japan.", European journal of medical research, Vol. 10, No. 8, pp.352-357, 2005.
- Ng SK, Keung Leung W, "A community study on the relationship between stress, coping, affective dispositions and periodontal attachment loss", Community dentistry and oral epidemiology, Vol. 34, No. 4, pp.252-266, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2006.00282.x
- Da-Hyun Lee, Young-Moon Lee, "Association between Sleep Duration, Dental Caries, and Periodontitis in Korean Adults: The Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2013-2014", Journal of Dental Hygiene Science, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp.38-45, 2017. https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2017.17.1.38
- Wiener RC, "Relationship of Routine Inadequate Sleep Duration and Periodontitis in a Nationally Representative Sample", Sleep Disorders, Vol. 2016, No. 9158195, pp.1-6, 2016.
- National Sleep Foundation, https://sleepfoundation.org, April 27, 2017.
- Sang-Kook Kim, Seong-Keun Wang, " The Effects of Partial Sleep Deprivation on the Daytime Sleepiness, Fatigue and Reaction Time", Chungnam medical journal, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp.137-153, 1998.
- Ministry of Health & Welfare, Korea Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, "2014 National Health Statistics I", p.102, Ministry of Health & Welfare, 2015.
- Hye-Eun Seo, "Sleep Architecture Analysis in Korean Children and Adolescents with Sleep Disorders" Ph. D. dissertation, p.1, Kyungpook National University, 2010.
- Young-Ju Lee, "The effect of sleeping time and sleeping time satisfaction on depression in youth", Master dissertation, p.2, Baekseok University, 2011.
- L. ALDabal, A. S. BaHammam, "Metabolic, endocrine, and immune consequences of sleep deprivation", Open Respiratory Medicine Journal, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp.31-43, 2011. https://doi.org/10.2174/1874306401105010031
- Carra MC, Schmitt A, Thomas F, Danchin N, Pannier B, Bouchard P, "Sleep disorders and oral health: a cross-sectional study", Clin oral Investingations, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp.975-983, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00784-016-1851-y
- Lange T, Dimitrov S, Fehm HL, Westermann J, Born J, "Shift of monocyte function toward cellular immunity during sleep.", Archives of internal Medicine, Vol. 166, No. 16, pp.1695-1700, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.166.16.1695
- Hae-Gyum Ryu, "A Study on the Effects of the Economic Stress and State-Trait Anxiety on the Periodontal Disease", Journal of dental hygiene science, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp.583-590, 2012.
- Ye-June Park, "Correlation between stress and periodontal disease", Master dissertation, p.14, Chonnam National University, 2014.
- Min-Hee Hong, "Risk Factors for the Prevalence of Periodontal Diseases among Adult Workers", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 15, No. 6, pp.3706-3713, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.6.3706
- Tsuchiya M, Aida J, Hagiwara Y, Sugawara Y, Tomata Y, Sato M, Watanabe T, Tomita H, Nemoto E, Watanabe M, Osaka K, Tsuji I, "Periodontal Disease Is Associated with Insomnia among Victims of the Great East Japan Earthquake: A Panel Study Initiated Three Months after the Disaster", The Tohoku journal of experimental medicine, Vol. 237, No. 2, pp.83-90, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1620/tjem.237.83
- Grover V, Malhotra R, Kaur H, "Exploring association between sleep deprivation and chronic periodontitis: A pilot study", Journal of Indian Society of Periodontology, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp.304-307, 2015. https://doi.org/10.4103/0972-124X.154173
- Kibayashi M, Tanaka M, Nishida N, Kuboniwa M, Kataoka K, Nagata H, Nakayama K, Morimoto K, Shizukuishi S, "Longitudinal study of the association between smoking as a periodontitis risk and salivary biomarkers related to periodontitis", Journal of periodontology, Vol. 78, No. 5, pp.859-867, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2007.060292
- Hae-Gyum Ryu, "A Study of the Effects of the Economic Stress and State-Trait Anxiety on the Periodontal Disease", Journal of Dental Hygiene Science, Vol. 12, No. 6, pp.583-590, 2012.