- Volume 15 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Need Assessment of Online Dementia Family Caregiver Education Program
치매환자 가족의 온라인 교육프로그램 요구도 조사
- Park, Myonghwa (College of Nursing, Chungnam National University) ;
- Go, Younghye (College of Nursing, Chungnam National University) ;
- Lee, Song Ja (Seoul Metropolitan Center for Dementia) ;
- Kim, Seon Hwa (Seoul Metropolitan Center for Dementia) ;
- Kim, Jinha (Seoul Metropolitan Center for Dementia) ;
- Lee, Dong Young (Seoul National University Hospital)
- 박명화 (충남대학교 간호대학) ;
- 고영혜 (충남대학교 간호대학) ;
- 이송자 (서울광역치매센터) ;
- 김선화 (서울광역치매센터) ;
- 김진하 (서울광역치매센터) ;
- 이동영 (서울대학교 병원)
- Received : 2017.07.18
- Accepted : 2017.09.20
- Published : 2017.09.28
The purpose of this study was to explore family caregiver's need for online education for dementia caregiving. Participants in this study were 220 family caregivers from district dementia centers in Seoul. Family caregiver's usability and needs of online education program were assessed using self-administered questionnaires. Descriptive statistics and t-test comparisons were conducted. About 50% of family caregivers answered they could use and have intention to use online education. The results showed that there were the highest demand for the video lectures which give information about dementia and case video about caregiving skills. There were differences in needs of online program according to the gender and age. The use of online program offers users the opportunity to participate support program at their own time and pace. In order to maximize the effects of online support programs, it is important to establish the strategies of the customized programs considering the characteristics of the caregivers.
Dementia;Family Caregivers;Internet;Education Program;Needs Assessment;Individualized
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- "World Population Ageing 2015", United Nations, http://www.un.org/en/development/desa/population/publications/pdf/ageing/WPA2015_Report.pdf, July 14, 2017.
- Martin P, Anders W, Maelenn G, Gemma C. A, Yu T. W, Matthew P, "World Alzheimer Report 2015: The Global Impact of Dementia", Alzheimer's Disease International, https://www.alz.co.uk/research/WorldAlzheimerReport2015.pdf, July 14, 2017.
- Morris J. C, Rubin E. H, Morris E. J, Mandel S. A, "Senile dementia of the Alzheimer's type : an important risk factor for serious falls", Journal of Gerontology, Vol. 42, No. 4, pp.412-417, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1093/geronj/42.4.412
- K. W. Kim, J. H. Park, M. H. Kim, M. D. Kim, B. J. Kim, S. K. Kim, J. L. Kim, S. W. Moon, J. N. Bae, J. I. Woo, S. H. Ryu, J. C. Yoon, N. J. Lee, D. Y. Lee, D. W. Lee, S. B. Lee, J. J. Lee, J. Y. Lee, C. U. Lee, S. M. Chang, J. H. Jhoo, M. J. Cho, "A nationwide survey on the prevalence of dementia and mild cognitive impairment in South Korea", Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp.281-291, 2011. https://doi.org/10.3233/JAD-2010-101221
- H. Y. Jang, M. S. Yi, "Effects of burden and family resilience on the family adaptation caregivers of elderly with dementia", Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, Vol. 25, No. 6, pp.725-735, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2013.25.6.725 https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2012.24.6.725
- Amirkhanyan A, Wolf D, "Caregiver stress and noncaregiver stress: exploring the pathways of phychiatric morbidity", The Gerontologist, Vol. 43, No. 6, pp.817-827, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/43.6.817
- Rosa E, Lussignoli F, Chiappa A, Di Cesare S, Lamanna L, Zanetti O, "Needs of caregivers of the patients with dementia", Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, Vol 51, No. 1, pp.54-58, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2009.07.008 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2009.07.008
- Burns R, Nichols L. O, Martindale A. J, Graney M. J, Lummus A. "Primary care interventions for dementia caregivers: 2-year outcomes from the REACH study", The Gerontologist, Vol. 43, No. 4, pp.547-555, 2003. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/geront/43.4.547 https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/43.4.547
- Whitebird R. R, Kreitzer M, Crain A. L, Lewis B. A, Hanson L. R, Enstad C. J, "Mindfulness-based stress reduction for family caregivers: A randomized controlled trial", The Gerontologist. Vol. 53, No. 4, pp.676-686, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/geront/gns126 https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/gns126
- Davis J. D, Tremont G, Bishop D. S, Fortinsky R. H, "A telephone delivered psychosocia intervention improves dementia caregiver adjustment following nursing home placement", International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, Vol. 26, No. 4, pp.380-387, 2011. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/gps.2537 https://doi.org/10.1002/gps.2537
- Lewis M, Hobday J, Hepburn K, "Internet-based programfor dementia caregivers", American Journal of Alzheimers Disease Other Dementias, Vol. 25, No. 8, pp.674-679, 2010. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/.10.1177/1533317510385812 https://doi.org/10.1177/1533317510385812
- Beauchamp N, Irvine A, Seeley J, Johnson B, "Worksite-based internet multimedia program for family caregivers of persons with dementia", The Gerontologist, Vol. 45, No. 6, pp.793-801, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/45.6.793
- J. J. Oh, "A comparative study on the effects of an individual intervention program and a group intervention program on the demented elderly and their families", Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp.205-215, 2008.
- S. Y. Kim., J. W. Kim., S. K. Son., S. Y. Min., "The effectiveness of the group education program among the family caregivers of the demented elderly", Journal of Welfare for the Aged Institute, Vol. 36, No. 1, pp.7-34, 2007.
- S. H. Cheon, S. O. Chang, G. S. Kong, M. R. Song, "Development and evaluation of community-based respite program for family caregivers of elders with dementia", Journal of Korean Academy Fundamental Nursing, Vol. 18, No. 3, pp.337-347, 2011.
- Coon D. W, Thompson L, Steffen A, Sorocco K, Thompson D, "Anger and depression management: psychoeducational skill training interventions for women caregivers of are relative with dementia", The Gerontologist, Vol. 43, No. 5, pp.678-689, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/43.5.678
- Dressen Kinney C. K, Support group, nursing interventions : treatments for nursing diagnosis, Philadelphia. W. B. Saunders Co, 1980.
- E. Y. Kim., J. O. Kwon., "Effects of a telephone-based support group program for family caregivers providing long-term care for elders", Journal of Korean Gerontology Nursing, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp.38-48, 2014. https://doi.org/10.17079/jkgn.2014.16.1.38
- Lorig K. R, Ritter P. L, Laurent D. D, Plant K, "Internet-based chronic disease self-management: a randomized trial", Medical care, Vol. 44, No. 11, pp.964-971, 2006. DOI: http://dx.oi.org/10.1097/01.mlr.0000233678.80203.c1 https://doi.org/10.1097/01.mlr.0000233678.80203.c1
- H. S. Kim., "Effects of web-based diabetic education in obese diabetic patients", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 35, No. 5, pp.924-930, 2005. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2005.35.5.924
- Mee-Kyung Lee, Hyung-Suk Kim, Hee-Sun Lee, Song-Ja Lee, Jin-Ha Kim, Hye-Ja Lee, Bo-Young Kim, "2014 Seoul Metropolitan Government Dementia Center Business Report", pp.1-259, Seoul Metropolitan Government Dementia Center, 2015.
- Cohen J. Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences(2nd ed.), Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates. 1988.
- S. A. Lee, H. S. Kim, "Effects of a dementia family education program for dementia recognition, burden, and depression in caregivers of elders with dementia", Vol. 26, No. 1, pp.14-23, 2017. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2017.26.1.14
- Alzheimer's Association, http://www.alz.org.ca.re/, Aug 13, 2017.
- The cartoonistgroup, http://www.cartoonistgroup.com/subject/The-Dmentia-Comics-and-Cartoons.php, Aug 13, 2017.
- The Korean Association for Dementia, http://www.silberweb.or.kr/, Aug 13, 2017.
- H. K. Nam-Gung, I. H. Kim, H. R. Chun, "Study on the correlates of digital disparity among older Seoul residents", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp.73-81, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.4.73
- Yong-Wan Ju, Seung-Wan Chai, Hyang-Eun Baek, Hyun-Jun. Kim, "Internet users survey 2016", pp.1-854, Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning, 2016.
- Hepburn K, Lewis M, Tornatore J, Sherman C., Bremer K., "The Savvy caregiver program: the demonstrated effectiveness of a transportable dementia caregiver psychoeducation program", Journal of Gerontological Nursing, Vol. 33, No. 3, pp.30-36, 2007.
- S. L. Dupuis, T. Epp, B. Smale, "Caregivers of persons with dementia: roles, experiences, supports and coping", pp.1-122, University of Waterloo, 2004.
- Daniel W. H, Timothy C. Y, Alma A, Florence K. H, "Development of a web-based training program for dementia caregivers in Hong Kong", Clinical Gerontologist, Vol. 38, No. 3, pp.211-223, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1080/07317115.2015.1008115