- Volume 15 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
A Convergence Work Experience of Nursing Students under Preceptorship
간호대학생의 프리셉터십 융복합 실습 경험
- Nam, Mun-Hee (Dept. of Nursing, Daedong University) ;
- Kim, Hae-Ok (Dept. of Nursing, Kyungnam University)
- Received : 2017.07.13
- Accepted : 2017.09.20
- Published : 2017.09.28
This study is to understand the work experiences of nursing students under preceptorship in 3+1 year program, and suggests effective practice to prevent stopping nursing profession. Four focus group interviews were made with 23 nursing students in 3+1 year program. Data were analyzed through the grounded theory of Corbin and Strauss' (2008). Through comparative analysis, central phenomenon of was 'looking for lighthouse'. The causal condition was 'opportunity to learning practice'. Contextual conditions were 'mood of being a true nurse', 'getting vivid information about clinical field', and 'lack of students perception about preceptorship'. Intervention conditions were 'work environment', 'proactive learning' and 'attachment to the hospital'. Action/interaction strategies were 'adjustment to diverse demands of patients and guardians', 'feeling as if it were one's own affair', and 'looking as much as knowing'. Consequence were 'pride' and 'itinerary of learning as a new graduate nurse'. This study is meaningful because it gives useful basis to nursing students in the process of 'looking for lighthouse'.
Nursing students;Grounded theory;Qualitative research;Preceptorship;Convergence
- U. Karabacak, S. Serbest, Z. K. Onurk, F. E. Alsan, N. Olgun, "Relationship between student nurses' self-efficacy and psychomotor skills competence." International Journal of Nursing Practice, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 124-130, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijn.12051
- F. J. Grenier, M. E. Dewis, "The baccalaureate degree as entry to practice: A Canadian model of educational collaboration toward the goal." Journal of Nursing Education, Vol. 34, No. 2, pp. 87-88, 1995.
- J. A. Halstead, J. W. Rains, D. L. Boland, F. E. May, "Reconceptualizing baccalaureate nursing education: Outcomes and competencies for practice in the 21st century." Journal of Nursing Education, Vol. 35, No. 9, pp. 413-416, 1996.
- Y. Y. Hwang, "A study on clinical practice experience of nursing students in the elderly unit." Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp. 73-85, 2005.
- T. Levett-Jones, J. Lathlean, "Belongingness: A prerequisite for nursing students' clinical learning." Nurse Education in Practice, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 103-111, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nepr.2007.04.003
- T. A. Hartigan, S. L. Cobbett, M. A. Amirault, M. E. Muise, "Nursing graduates' perception of their under-graduate clinical placement." International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 1-12, 2007.
- Nursing Education Certification Criteria. Home page, Seoul: Korean Accreditation Board of Nursing Education, 2014, DOI:http://kabon.or.kr,May 15. 2017.
- H. K. Hur, S. S. Choi, Y. H. Ahn, Y. M. Lim., Y. H. Shin, S. M. Park, et al, "Content analysis of the experience of preceptors in clinical education for senior student nurses." Journal of Korean Academy Nursing, Vol. 34, No. 5, pp. 859-869, 2004. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2004.34.5.859
- M. K. Jeon, J. W. Oh, "Relationship between rudeness, burnout, major satisfaction and self-efficacy which nursing students experience during clinical practice." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 339-346, 2017. DOI:https://org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.1.339 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.1.339
- M. H Cho, I. Kwon, "A study on the clinical practice experience on nursing activities of nursing students." Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 143-154, 2007.
- Hospital Nurse Staffing Status Survery, Business Report. Home page, Seoul: Hospital Nurse Association, February 7, 2017. DOI:http://www.khna.or.kr
- S. Faron, D. Poeltler, "Growing our own: Inspiring growth and increasing retention through mentoring." Nursing for Women's Health, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 139-143, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-486X.2007.00142.x
- M. Goodwin-Esola, M. Deely, N. Powell, "Progress meetings: Facilitating role transition of the new graduate." The Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, Vol. 40, No. 9, pp. 411-415, 2009. https://doi.org/10.3928/00220124-20090824-04
- S. J. Hong, E. H. Kim, "Effects of preceptorship on nursing students' clinical competency, stress of clinical practice, and practice satisfaction in clinical practice." Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 15, No. 10, pp. 6204-6214, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.10.6204
- K. S. Bang, S. M. Chae, J. Y. Yu, M. K. Song, J. H. Lee, "Comparison of professional self-concept, clinical nursing competence, and practicum satisfaction between nursing students with and without pediatric nursing clinical preceptorship." Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 19, No. 3, pp. 396-404, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.3.396
- M. T. Hickey, "Baccalaureate nursing graduates' perceptions of their clinical instructional experiences and preparation for practice." Journal of Professional Nursing, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 35-41, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.profnurs.2009.03.001
- N. H. Kim, Y. S. Kwon, M. A. Kim, B. S. Lee, "Case study of the 1:1 preceptorship in education for senior student nurses." Journal of Keimyung Nursing Science, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 117-125, 2009.
- G. S. Oh, M. K. Lee, "An internship experience to convergence program for under-graduated nursing students." Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 173-185, 2015. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.173 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.173
- S. Y. Kang, "The social adjustment process of nursing students in the clinical practice." Journal of Korean Association for Qualitative Research, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 9-19, 2016.
- D. N. Oh, Y. R. Um, C. M. Kim, S. Ju, J. H. Choi, M. S. Park, "The coping experience of nursing students in clinical practice: Trying to be a meaningful presence." Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 22, No. 4, pp. 430-440, 2016. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.4.430 https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2016.22.4.430
- D. L. Morgan, "Focus Groups as Qualitative Research(2nd ed). Thousand Oaks. CA: Sage Publications", 1996.
- J. Corbin, A. Strauss, "Basics of Qualitative Research(3rd Ed). Los Angeles, CA: Sage", 2008.
- E. G. Guba, Y. S. Lincoln, "Naturalistic Inquiry. California: Sage Publications", 1985.
- J. Y. Kim, I. S. Kim, "Experience of preceptorship for newly employed nurses." Journal of Korean Clinical Nursing Research, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 75-88, 2005.
- M. R. Han, H. G. Kim, "Mediating effect of comm unication competence on the relationship between emotional intelligence and self-esteem among nursing students." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 263-272, 2017. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.2.263 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.2.263
- C. H. Lee, D. O. Kim, "The effect of the preceptor ship on nursing performance and job satisfaction of the preceptor." Journal of Korean Academic Society of Nursing Education, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 345-358, 2000.
- T. J. Fenwick, "Expanding conceptions of experiential learning : A review of the five contemporary perspectives on cognition." Adult Education Quarterly, Vol. 50, No. 4, pp. 243-272, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1177/07417130022087035
- J. Shamain, R. Inhaber, "The concept and practice of preceptorship in contemporary nursing: A review of pertinent literature." International Journal of Nursing Student, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 79-88, 1985. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7489(85)90018-5
- L. Ferguson, "Preceptor's need for faculty support." Journal of Nursing Staff Development, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp. 73-80, 1996.
- I. Y. Cho, "The relationship of self-directedness clinical practice experiences and clinical practice satisfaction." Journal of the Korean Academic-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 15, No. 6, pp. 3535-3547, 2014.
- J. H. Kim, K. J. Kwon, S. H. Lee, "Factors influencing problem solving abilities of nursing students." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 295-307, 2017. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.4.295 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.4.295
- E. H. Park, H. R. Park, H. A. Kim, "Approaches to convergence curriculum for healthcare affiliated students with clinical competence assessment program." Journal of Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 77-86, 2015. DOI:http://doi.org/10.152070/JKCS.2015.6.3.79
- H. W. Kwak, J. E. Lee, "Relation of interpersonal relationship, clinical stress and satisfaction of clinical practice in nursing students." Journal of the Korean Academic-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 147-155, 2016. DOI:http://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.2.147 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.2.147
- E. H. Park, H. S. Kim, J. O. Kim, "The effect of convergence action learning techniques in simulation class." Journal of Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp. 241-248, 2015. DOI:http://doi.org/10.152070/JKCS.2015.6.5.241
- S. B. Kwon, Y. H. Yom, E. K. Kwon, Y. Y. Lee, "The empowerment experience of hospital nurses using focus groups." Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 445-454, 2007.
- S. Y. Kim, J. K. Kim, K. O. Park, "The role experience of preceptor nurses in hospitals." Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 33-45, 2012. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2012.18.1.33
- H. Y. Song S. H. Shin, "The effects of emotional intelligence on the career decision-making self-efficacy and career decision levels of the nursing students." Journal of the Korean Academic-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 17, No. 9, pp. 628-640, 2016. DOI:http://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.9.628 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.9.628
- K. Y. Rhee, Y. R. Tak, "A Phenomenological convergence study on the empathic activity xperience of the Compassion ward nurses." Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 8, No. 7, pp. 47-62, 2017. DOI:http://doi.org/10.152070/JKCS.2017.8.7.47
- M. S. Lee, M. O. Gu, "Level of physical activity and influencing factors of the first and second year nursing students." Journal of the Korean Academic-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 18, No. 6, pp. 53-67, 2017. DOI:http://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.6.53 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.6.53
- B. M. Bang, S. Y. Lee, J. W. Cheong, "Empirical study on the turn-over intention of university hospital nurses." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 205-213, 2015. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.2.205 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.2.205