- Volume 15 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Job Stress and Job Satisfaction on Professional Self-Concept in Nurses
간호사의 직무스트레스와 직무만족이 전문직 자아개념에 미치는 영향
- Lee, Sun-young (Dept. of Nursing Kongju National University) ;
- Lee, Jeong-sook (Dept. of Nursing Sangmyung University) ;
- Kim, So-yeun (Dept. of Nursing Chungnam National University Hospital) ;
- Lee, Ji-young (Social Affairs division of Gongju City)
- Received : 2017.07.04
- Accepted : 2017.09.20
- Published : 2017.09.28
This study was to investigate the effect of job stress and job satisfaction on professional self-concept in nurses. A questionnaire was completed by 196 general hospital employed nurses from October to November 2016. The study instruments comprised professional job stress and job satisfaction, professional self-concept. The data were analyzed by descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA, Pearson's correlation coefficients, and multiple linear regression using SPSS/WIN 21.0 program. Professional self-concept was closely related to age(F=4.356, p=.014), marital status(t=4.345, p<.001), education(F=33.411, p<.001). The significant factors influencing professional self-concept were job stress(
Nurses;General hospital;Job stress;Job satisfaction;Professional self-concept
- Yo-Na Kim, "A Structural Model for Professional Self-Concept in Clinical Nurses." Ph.D. dissertation, p.1-48, Kosin University, 2012.
- S. H. Shin, H. R. Choi, S. M. Kim, "Impact on the Degree of Labor turnover of Professional Self-concept and Emotional labor : A Case of Female Children's Hospital Nurses." Journal of The Korea Contents Association, Vol. 16, No. 5, pp. 375-383, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5392.JCKA.2016.15.05.375 https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2016.16.05.375
- D. Arthur, J. Randle, "The Professional Self-concept of Nurses: A Review of the Liteature from 1992-2006." Australian Journal of Advanced Nursing, Vol. 24, No. 3, pp. 60-64, 2007.
- Y. S. Seo, C. Y. Jeong, Y. C. Kwon, "Effect of Education in Cadaver Practice on the Self-efficacy, Attitudes to death and Professional self-concept of Nursing students." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 5, pp. 317-324, 2017. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.5.317 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.5.317
- D. Arthur, "Measurement of the professional self-concept of nurses: developing a measurement instrument." Nurse Education Today, Vol. 15, pp. 328-325, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0260-6917(95)80004-2
- Kyeong-Deo Jeon, "Structural Equation Model of Clinical Nurses' Professional Self-conception, Job Embededness, Organizational Citizenship Behavior and Organizational Performance." Ph.D. dissertation, p.2-62, Samyook University, 2015.
- M. H. Sung, Y. A. Kim, M. J. Ha, "The Relationships of Professional Self-Concept, Professional Autonomy and Self-esteem to Job Satisfaction of Clinical Nurses." Journal of the Korean Academy of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol. 18, No. 4, pp. 547-555, 2011.
- S. H. Kim, N. H. Kim, "The Effects of Rehabilitation Hospital Nurses' Professional Autonomy and Self-Efficacy on Professional Self-Concept." Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 17, No. 1 pp. 165-174, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.1.165 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.1.165
- Mi-Jin Kim, "The Effects of Interpersonal Caring Dramatherapy Program on Emotional Intelligence, Job Stress, Quality of Life in Nurses." Ph.D. dissertation, p.9-20, Dankook University, 2016.
- Y. M. Cho, M. S. Choi, "Effect of Clinical Nurses's Basic Psychological Need, Self-Leadership and Job Stress on Nursing Performance." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 8, pp. 343-353, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.8.343 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.8.343
- Y. J. Oh, Y. H. Choi, "Effects of emotional labor, job stress and burnout on somatization in nurses : In convergence era." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 10, pp. 415-424, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.10.415 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.10.415
- Y. S. Kim, K. Y. Park, "Nurses' Awareness on Healthcare Accreditation, Work Overload, and Professional Self-concept and their Influencing Activities of Patient Safety Management among Nurses." Journal of Korean Data Analysis Society, Vol. 16, No. 6 pp. 3377-3392, 2014.
- H. J. Lee, Y. C. Cho, "Relationship Between Job stress and Job Satisfaction Among Nurses in General Hospitals." Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 16, No. 8 pp. 5314-5324, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.8.5314 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.8.5314
- Young-Kweon Jang, "A Study on the Job Satisfaction of Nurses at Regional Public Hospitals." Ph.D. dissertation, p.2-103, Wonkwang University, 2016.
- B. M. Bang, S. Y. Lee, J. O. Cheong, "Empirical study on the turn-over intention of university hospital nurses." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 205-213. 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.2.205 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.2.205
- L. Hong, E. Alison, K. While, B. Louise, "Job satisfaction among nurses: a literature review." International Journal of Nursing Studies, Vol. 42, pp. 211-227, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2004.09.003
- M. A. Shields, M. Ward, "Improving nurse retention in the National Health Service in England: the impact of job satisfaction on intentions to quit." Journal of Health Economics, Vol. 20, No. 5, pp. 677-701, 2001. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6296(01)00092-3 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6296(01)00092-3
- Ju-Hong Min, "The impact of municipal hospital nurses′self-esteem on professional self-concept and job satisfaction." Unpublished maser's thesis, p.4-20, Catholic University, 2015.
- E. J. Park, J. Y. Han, N. Y. Jo, "Effects of professional self-concept, self efficacy on the job satisfaction in general hospital nurses." Journal of the Korean data & information science society, Vol. 27, No. 1, pp. 191-201, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2016.27.1.191 https://doi.org/10.7465/jkdi.2016.27.1.191
- E. Y. Yeom, "The Influence of Interpersonal Problems, Emotional Labor on Professional Self-Concept among Clinical Nurses." Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 18, No. 6, pp. 356-365, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.6.356 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.6.356
- J. O. Ko, E. Ko, "Influence of Job Stress and Professional Self-concept on Job Satisfaction among Nurses in Rehabilitation Units." Korean Journal Rehabilitation Nursing, Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 81-89, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2014.81 https://doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2014.81
- M. R. Jung, "Influence of Vitality on Effects of Self-leadership, Professional Self-concept, Clinical Competence and Burnout among Clinical Nurses." Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, Vol. 16, No. 12, pp. 559-573, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.22251/jlcci.2016.16.12.559 https://doi.org/10.22251/jlcci.2016.16.12.559
- M. J. Kim, M. O. Gu, "An Analytic study of work stress among clinical nurses." Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 28-37, 1984.
- J. S. Kang, J. Y. Lim, "Effects of Clinical Nurses' Resilience on Job Stress and Burnout." Journal of The Korea Contents Association, Vol. 15, No. 11, pp. 263-273, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5392.JCKA.2015.15.11.263
- D. B. Slavitt, P. L. Stamps, E. B. Piedmont, A. M. Haase, "Nurses' satisfaction with their work situation." Nursing Research, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 114-120, 1978.
- S. I. Im, E. A. Cho, "Relationship between Emotional Labor, Job Stress and Eating Attitudes among Clinical Nurses." Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 15, No. 7 pp. 4318-4328, 2014. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762.KAIS.2014.15.5.4318 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.7.4318
- K. L. Choi, S. E. Heo, D. H. Moon, "Convergence Study on the Influence of Job Stress of Shift Work Nurses on Nursing Performance." Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7. No. 4, pp. 107-121, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.4.107 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.4.107
- H. J. Kim, S. J. Park, "Effects of Work Intensity and Physical Discomfort on Job Satisfaction in Clinical Nurses." Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 22, No. 4, pp. 362-372, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.4.362 https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2016.22.4.362
- W. K. Kim, K. H. Chung, "The Relationship between Professional Self-Concept, Organizational Commitment and Job Satisfaction in Clinical Nurses." Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 287-296, 2008.
- J. H. Yang, "The Relations of Stress, Job Satisfaction, Organizational Commitment and Turnover Intention in Medical Technicians." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 7, pp. 133-241. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.7.233
- J. W. Oh, J. S. Han, Y. S. M, "Study on the Awareness, Satisfaction and Job Stress of Nurses using EMR System." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol 10, No. 8, pp. 257-264, 2012.
- H. J. Lim, M. H. Gang, K. O. Oh, "Nursing Activity, Job Stress, and Job Satisfaction of Nurses in Community Mental Health Facilities." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol 11, No. 12, pp. 507-513, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.12.507 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.12.507
- E. Y. Yeom, H. O. Jeon, "Relations of Burnout, Interpersonal Relations, Professional Self-concept and Depression in Clinical Nurses." Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 14, No. 6, pp. 2869-2879, 2013. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762.KAIS.2013.14.6.2869 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2013.14.6.2869
- S. J. Kim, M. S. Choi, K. W. Sung, "Variables Affecting Competency of Nurses in Nursing Homes." Journal of Korean Gerontol Nursing, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 29-39, 2010.
- S. Yang, S. J. Yu, "Professional Self-concept of Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioners in Hospitals and Public Health Centers." Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp. 351-362, 2001.