- Volume 15 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Foot-Reflexology Massage on Sleep, Depression, & Constipation in Community-Dwelling Elders
발-반사 마사지가 지역사회 재가노인의 수면, 우울 및 변비에 미치는 효과
- Kim, Myongsook (Nursing department of Howon University) ;
- Gang, Moonhee (College of Nursing, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2017.06.22
- Accepted : 2017.09.20
- Published : 2017.09.28
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to examine the effect of the foot-reflexology massage on sleep, depression and constipation in community-dwelling elders. Methods: A nonequivalent control group pretest-posttest design was conducted. Participants were 46 old adults, aged >65 years who were recruited from two senior welfare centers in D metropolitan city (experimental group=24, control group=22). The intervention was conducted in 10 sessions over 2 weeks, taking 20 min per session. Collected data were analyzed using descriptive statistics,
- Statistics Korea. 2016 statistics on the aged [Internet]. Daejeon: Statistics Korea; 2015 Sep 24 [updated 2015 Sep 24; cited 2015 Sep 25]. Availablefrom:http://kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/kor_nw/2/6/5/index.board?bmode=read&aSeq=356426&pageNo=&rowNum=10&amSeq=&sTarget=&sTxt.
- K-N, Kim, Y-J, Jee. "Predictors of health-related quality of life in Korean elderly:based on the 2013 Korea national health and nutrition examination survey", Asia-Pacific Journal of Multimedia Services Convergent with Art, Humanities, and Sociology, Vol.5, No.3, pp. 197-205, June (2015). http://dx.doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2015.06.22. https://doi.org/10.14257/AJMAHS.2015.06.22
- J-T. Lim, M-K. Oh, H-K. Kim, J-H. Lee, B-S. Lee, S-Y. Park, "The relationship between the sleep duration and Health-Related Quality of Life(HRQL) in Korea-Using data from the Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2012", Korean Journal of Family Practice, Vol. 5, No.3, pp.283-290, 2015.
- A. Wald, C. Scarpignato, MA. Kamm, S. Mueller-Lissner, I. Helfrich, C. Schuijt, J. Bubeck, C. Limoni, O. Petrini, "The burden of constipation on quality of life: results of a multinational survey", Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics, Vol.26, No.2, pp.227-236, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2036.2007.03376.x
- S. Moon, "Gender differences in the impact of socioeconomic, health-related, and health behavioral factors on the health-related quality of life of the Korean elderly", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 6, pp.259-271, 2017.
- S. A. Yang, "A study on the relationship among physical function, quality of sleep and quality of life for the elderly in a community", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No.5, pp. 335-345, 2013. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.11.335
- J. R. Cooke, S. Ancoli-Israel, "Normal and abnormal sleep in the elderly", Handb Clinical Neurology, Vol.98, pp.653-665, 2011. doi: 10.1016/B978-0-444-52006-7.00041-1. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-444-52006-7.00041-1
- S. H. Feinsilver, "Sleep in the elderly: what is normal", Clinics in Geriatric Medicine, Vol. 19, No.1, pp. 177-88, 2003. doi.org/10.1016/s0749-0690(02)00064-2. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0749-0690(02)00064-2
- K. C. Lim, S. H. Kim, "Prevalence and correlates of depression in older Koreans: comparison of young-old and old-old", Journal of Korean Academy Psychiatry Mental Health Nursing, Vol. 21, No.1, pp.1-10, 2012. https://doi.org/10.12934/jkpmhn.2012.21.1.1
- K. H. Kwon, S. R. Suh, B. D. Suh, "Sleep patterns and factors influencing sleep in institutionalized elders and elders living at home", Journal of Korean Gerontology Nursing, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp.131-141, 2010.
- Chang KJ, Son SJ, Lee Y, Back JH, Lee KS, Lee SJ, et al, "Perceived sleep quality is associated with depression in a Korean elderly population". Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics. Vol.59, No.2, pp.468-473, 2014. doi.org/10.1016/j.arch\-ger.2014.04.007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2014.04.007
- M. Luppa, C. Sikorski, T. Luck, S. Weyerer, A. Villringer, H-H. Koenig, S. G. Riedel-Heller, "Epidemiology of depression in old age: results of the Leipzig longitudinal study of the aged (leila 75+)". Journal of Epidemiology Community Health, Vol.65, pp.A127-A127, 2011. doi:10.1136/ jech.2011.142976 e.14. https://doi.org/10.1136/jech.2011.142976e.14
- K-N. Lee, K-W, Sung, "The factors affecting the constipation of the elderly at nursing homes", Journal of Korean Academy of Community Health Nursing, Vol. 19, No. 4. pp. 575-586, 2008.
- L. W. Zhen, G. K. Ann, H. K. Yu, " Functional bowel disorders in rotating shift nurses may be related to sleep disturbances", European Journal of Gastroenterology & Hepatology, Vol.18, pp.623-627, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1097/00042737-200606000-00008
- De Giorgio et al. "Chronic constipation in the elderly: a primer for the gastroenterologist", BMC Gastroenterology, Vol. 15, pp.130e, 2015. doi 10.1186/s12876-015-0366-3 https://doi.org/10.1186/s12876-015-0366-3
- B. L. Werth, K. A. Williams, L. G. Pont, "A longitudinal study of constipation and laxative use in a community-dwelling elderly population", Archives of Gerontoloy & Geriatrics, Vol. 60, No.3, pp..418-24, 2015. doi: 10.1016/j.archger.2015.02.004. Epub 2015 Feb 16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2015.02.004
- V. R. Maria, P. B. Ernest, "Epidemiology and management of chronic constipation in elderly patients", Clinical Interventions in Aging, Vol.10, pp.919-930,2015.
- K. S. Park, "Constipation in the elderly", Korean J of Medicine, Vol. 78, No. 3, pp. 309-313, 2010.
- M. J. Wang, J. A. Kim, J. E. Lee, A. H. Lee, C. H. Lee, N. H. Cha, "Foot reflexology for health promotion", Seoul: Hyunmoon, 2002.
- G. Kim, S. Suh, "The analysis of research about foot reflexology in nursing", Journal of Korean Biological Nursing Society, Vol.10, No.1, pp.33-40, 2008.
- S-H. Lee, "The effect on the depression and activation internal organs of foot reflexology massage in the elderly", Korean Journal of Clinical Social Work, Vol.5, No.3, pp. 67-83, 2008.
- C. S. Kim, S. H. Hong, S. R. Kim, Y. J. Kim, "The effects of foot reflexology on sleep, depression and skin temperature of the female elderly at home", Journal of Korean academy community health nursing, Vol. 22, No.4, pp.409-419, 2011. https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2011.22.4.409
- S. J. Jin, Y. K. Kim,"The effects of foot reflexology massage on sleep and fatigue of elderly women", Korean Academy of Fundamental Nursing, Vol. 7, No.2, pp.192-207, 2005.
- Y. H. Song, D. H. Kim, "The effects of foot reflextion massage on sleep disturbance, depression disorder, and the physiological index of the elderly", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol.36, No.1, pp.15-24, 2006. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.1.15
- F. Faul, E. Erdfelder, A. Buchner, Lang, A.-G, "Statistical power analyses using G*Power 3.1: tests for correlation and regression analyses" Behavior research methods, Vol. 41, pp.1149-1160, 2009. https://doi.org/10.3758/BRM.41.4.1149
- J. J. Oh, M. S. Song, S. M. Kim, "Development and validation of Korean sleep scale A", Journal of Korean academy of nursing, Vol. 28, No.3, pp. 563-572, 1998. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.19188.8.131.523
- J. A. Yesavage, T. L. Brink, T. L. Rose, O. Lum, V. Huang, M. Adey, V. O. Leirer, "Development and validationof a geriatric depression screening scale: A preliminary report", Journal of Psychiatry Research Vol. 17, No.1, pp. 37-49. 1983.
- B. S. Kee, "A preliminary study for the standardization of geriatric depression scale short form-Korea version", Journal of Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, Vol.35, No.2, pp.298-307, 1996.
- S. C. McMillan, F. A. Williams, "Validity and reliability of the constipation assessment scale", Cancer Nursing, Vol. 12. No. 3, pp. 183-188, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002820-198906000-00012
- S. Yang, S. J. Yu, "Effect of dietary fiber supplement on antidepressant induced constipation in depressed inpatients", Journal of Korean Academy of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 13-26, 1996.
- M. R. Eom, E. K. Kim, H-Y. Oh, H-S. Kim, "The effects of self foot reflexology on depression, sleep and low back pain in community dwelling elderly women", The Korean Journal of Fundamentals of Nursing, Vol. 15, No.4, pp. 504-512, 2008.
- S. O. Ro, J. O. Lee, K. S. Yang, "Effect of foot reflexomassage on constipation-affected college women", Korean journal of women health nursing, Vol.13, No.3, pp.184-191, 2007.
- P. Tovey, "A single-blind trial of reflexology for irritable bowel syndrome. British Journal of General Practice, Vol. 52, No. 474, pp. 19-23, 2002.
- J. E. Maglione, S. Ancoli-Israel, K. W. Peters, M. L. Paudel, K. Yaffe, K. E. Ensrud, K. L. Stone, "Depressive symptoms and subjective and objective sleep in community-dwelling older women", Journal of American Geriatric Society, Vol.60, No. 40, pp. 635-643, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2012.03908.x