- Volume 15 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Analysis of China's trade dependency on the countries participating in the Belt and Road initiative
일대일로 참여국가에 대한 중국의 무역 의존성 분석과 시사점
- Song, Min-Geun (Graduate School of Logistics, Incheon National University)
- 송민근 (인천대학교 동북아물류대학원)
- Received : 2017.07.31
- Accepted : 2017.09.20
- Published : 2017.09.28
The purpose of this study is to identify the characteristics of China's trade relationships with and dependency on the countries participating in the Belt and Road initiative and to present some implications. This study collected annual total imports, exports, and GDP data from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) on 198 countries and the National Bureau of Statistics of China (NBS) on 221 countries from 1995 to 2015. China's imports and exports have expanded considerably from the mid-1990s to the present, and China's dependence on imports and exports with the US and Japan has declined, while its dependence on the Middle East, South Africa, South America, and Southeast Asia has increased. China has a very high level of dependence on imports from and exports to the countries participating in the Belt and Road initiative, and as the Belt and Road project progresses, the mutual trade dependency between China and the other participating countries is expected to strengthen and expand.
Trade dependency;China;Asia;One Belt One Road;The Belt and Road;AIIB
- Korea international trade association, "China's trade structure and implications (2000-2015)", p. 5, 2016.
- Korea trade investment promotion agency, "China's imports and exports, Korea's imports and exports to China and its implications," p. 6, 2015.
- S. K. Kwon, " Legal Issues and Policy Implications of Electronic Commerce Chapters of the Korea.China FTA", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 10, pp. 9-17, 2015.
- Y. S. Choo, "The Prospect of the China's 'One Belt, One Road' Strategy in Southeast Asia", Journal of International Relations, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 169-190, 2015. https://doi.org/10.15235/jir.2015.12.18.2.169
- L. Bonatti, A. Fracasso, "Regime switches in the Sino-American co-dependency: Growth and structural change in China", Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Vol. 25, pp. 1-32, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.strueco.2013.01.004
- S. I. Choi and J. H. Cho, "An Analysis on Taiwanese Trade after ECFA", Journal of Ocean Development, Vol. 25, pp. 111-129, 2016.
- S. O. Han, "An Analysis on the Realities and Features in North Korea's Degree of Dependence upon Chinese Trade since the 1990s: In Connection with the Implication and Problem Awaiting Solution to Establish a Korean Peninsula Economic Community", The Journal of Peace Studies, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 111-141, 2015.
- Y. Y. Kim, "Expanding economic influence of China, North Korea and South Korea's Challenges", Journal of Policy Sciences, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 24-55, 2010.
- H. B. Lee and D. Y. Oh, "Changes in the Industrial Linkage and Trade Dependency between Korea, China and Japan", The Journal of Korean Association of Modern Japanology, Vol. 40, pp. 463-476, 2014.
- C. P. Bown and R. McCUlloch, "U.S.-Japan and U.S.-China trade conflict: Export growth, reciprocity, and the international trading system", Journal of Asian Economics, Vol. 20, pp. 669-687, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asieco.2009.09.009
- T. W. Chung, "A Study on Trade Structure Analysis between Korea and GCC(Gulf Cooperation Council) Countries", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 11, pp. 135-142, 2016.
- X. Jin, D. D. Li, S. Y. Wu, "How will China shape the world economy?", China Economic Review, Vol. 40, pp. 272-280, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chieco.2016.07.006
- W. J. Kim, "The Impact of China on Indonesian Economy", The Journal of Northeast Asian Economics Studies, Vol. 26, No. 3, pp. 1-36, 2014.
- S. Peyrouse, "Discussing China: Sinophilia and sinophobia in Central Asia", Journal of Eurasian Studies, Vol. 7, pp. 14-23, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.euras.2015.10.003
- J. Y. Shin, "The arrival of the new normal era in China and its economic strategic change against Central Asia", The Review of Eurasian Studies, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 15-32, 2016. https://doi.org/10.31203/aepa.2016.13.4.002
- I. H. Song and G. Y. Lee(2012), "A Study of Chinese Peaceful Rise and East Asian Regional Cooperation", International Commerce and Information Review, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 75-96, 2012.
- B. Vahalik, "Regional Bilateral Trade Analysis of the European Union, China and ASEAN", Procedia Economics and Finance, Vol. 12, pp. 709-717, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/S2212-5671(14)00397-9
- S. Mcdonald, S. Robinson, K. Therfelder, "Asian Growth and Trade Poles: India, China, and East and Southeast Asia", World Development, Vol. 36, No. 2, pp. 210-234, 2007.
- Vianna, "The impact of exports to China on Latin American growth", Journal of Asian Economics, Vol. 47, pp. 58-66, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.asieco.2016.10.002
- "Trade of Goods, Values of Exports/imports, FOB", International Monetary Fund, www.imf.org, July 1. 2017.
- "11-6. Value of Imports and Exports by Country of Origin/Destination", National Bureau of the People's Republic of China, www.stats.gov.cn, July 1, 2017.