- Volume 15 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Public Service Motivation on Job Satisfaction and Perceived Job Performance: Focusing on the Mediation Effect of Person-Organization Fit
공공봉사동기가 직무만족 및 인지된 직무성과에 미치는 영향: 구성원-조직 적합성의 매개효과를 중심으로
- Lee, Kangmun (Dept. of Business Administration, Kyungnam University) ;
- Roh, Tae-Woo (Dept. of International Trade and Commerce, Soonchunhyang University)
- Received : 2017.07.31
- Accepted : 2017.09.20
- Published : 2017.09.28
The purpose of this study is to identify the direct effects of PSM on job satisfaction (JS) and perceived job performance (PJP) in public institutions and to identify indirect effects of the mediator. In particular, we define the person-organization fit (POF) used as the mediator as the fitness of the personnel system and identify the influence of POF in the relationship between PSM, JS, and PJP. The questionnaires used in this study were conducted for the members of Changwon Public Health Center and empirical analysis using structural equation modeling was conducted and the following results were obtained. First, PSM in the integrated public service organization has a positive effect on JS and PJP. Second, PSM shows that JS and PJP of organization members are improved through mediating effect of POF. It can be concluded that PSM can improve JS and PJP through institutional fit between members and organizations.
Public Service Motivation;Job Satisfaction;Perceived Job Performance;Person-Organization Fit;Integrated Public Service Organization
Supported by : 순천향대학교
- N.-B. Choi and D.-S. Jun, "Police Officer's Public Service Motivation and Job Satisfaction: Focusing on the Moderating Effect of Job Characteristics," The Korea Association for Policy Studies, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp.129-158, 2016.
- J.-W. Park and Y.-J. Cho, "The Effect of Public Service Motivation on the Attitudes and Performance of Organizational Members," Journal of Governmental Studies, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp.195-233, 2016. https://doi.org/10.19067/jgs.2016.22.2.195
- S.-M. Kim, "Does Person-Organization Fit Matter in the Public Sector? Testing the Mediating Effect of Person-Organization Fit in the Relationship between Public Service Motivation and Work Attitudes," Public Administration Review, Vol. 72, No. 6, pp.830-840, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-6210.2012.02572.x
- E. A. Locke, "The Nature and Causes of Job Satisfaction," in Handbook of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, M. D. Dunnette, Ed. Chicago: Rand McNally, pp. 1297-1343, 1976.
- P. J. Robertson and S.-Y. Tang, "Collective Action: Comparingt Organizafonal Behavior and Rational Choice Perpectves," Public Administration Review, Vol. 55, No. 1, pp.67-80, 1995. https://doi.org/10.2307/976829
- M.-H. Choi and C.-H. Jo, "Empirical Analysis on the Public Service Motivation(PSM) and Job Attitudes among Korean Public Officers: Focusing on Job Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment," The Korean Journal of Local Government Studies, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp.343-366, 2013.
- C.-K. Lee and R.-S. Kim, "Determinants of Organizational Effectiveness in Non-Profit Organizations: Differentiating Individual and Collective Factors," Korean Society and Public Administration, Vol. 49, No. 2, pp.179-203, 2011.
- S. M. Park and H. G. Rainey, "Leadership and Public Service Motivation in Us Federal Agencies," International Public Management Journal, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp.109-142, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1080/10967490801887954
- H.-Y. Shin and H.-S. Lee, "A Study on the Determinants of Organizational Performance in Public Organizations: Public Service Motivation, Job Insecurity and Job Satisfaction," Korean Journal of Public Administration, Vol. 50, No. 1, pp.1-35, 2012.
- C. A. O'Reilly, J. Chatman, and D. F. Caldwell, "People and Organizational Culture: A Profile Comparison Approach to Assessing Person-Organization Fit," Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 34, No. 3, pp.487-516, 1991. https://doi.org/10.2307/256404
- G.-J. Lee, "Public Service Motivation and Performance: Empirical Evidence in Korea," Korean Society and Public Administration, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp.81-104, 2005.
- K. Hyun-Jin and M.-C. Lee, "An Analysis on the Influencing Factors on the Will of Persistent Volunteering : From the Perspective of Psm Theory," The Korean Journal of Local Government Studies, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp.249-272, 2012.
- B. L. Rich, J. A. Lepine, and E. R. Crawford, "Job Engagement: Antecedents and Effects on Job Performance," Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 53, No. 3, pp.617-635, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMJ.2010.51468988
- J. L. Perry and A. Hondeghem, "Building Theory and Empirical Evidence About Public Service Motivation," International Public Management Journal, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp.3-12, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1080/10967490801887673
- W. Vandenabeele, "Toward a Public Administration Theory of Public Service Motivation: An Institutional Approach," Public Management Review, Vol. 9, No. 4, pp.545-556, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1080/14719030701726697
- G. A. Brewer, S. C. Selden, I. Facer, and L. Rex, "Individual Conceptions of Public Service Motivation," Public Administration Review, Vol. 60, No. 3, pp.254-264, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1111/0033-3352.00085
- J. Taylor, "Organizational Influences, Public Service Motivation and Work Outcomes: An Australian Study," International Public Management Journal, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp.67-88, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1080/10967490801887921
- J.-S. Kwon and K.-S. Choi, "A Study on the Relationships between Organizational Justice, Commitment to Organizational Change, Organizational Commitment, and Turnover Intention: An Analysis on Mergers and Acquisitions," Productivity Review, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp.145-170, 2009. https://doi.org/10.15843/kpapr.23.3.200909.145
- J. L. Perry and L. R. Wise, "The Motivational Bases of Public Service," Public Administration Review, Vol. 50, No. 3, pp.367-373, 1990. https://doi.org/10.2307/976618
- G.-J. Lee, S.-H. Cho, T.-W. Kwon, and Y.-H. Jeon, "The Determinants of the Performance in the Job Posting System: Focusing on the Perception of Government Officials," Korean Public Personnel Administration Review, Vol. 11, No. 3, pp.31-54, 2012.
- K. C. Naff and J. Crum, "Working for America: Does Public Service Motivation Make a Difference?," Review of Public Personnel Administration, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp.5-16, 1999.
- A. L. Kristof, "Person-Organization Fit: An Integrative Review of Its Conceptualizations, Measurement, and Implications," Personnel Psychology, Vol. 49, No. 1, pp.1-49, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1744-6570.1996.tb01790.x
- R. D. Caplan, "Person-Environment Fit Theory and Organizations: Commensurate Dimensions, Time Perspectives, and Mechanisms," Journal of Vocational Behavior, Vol. 31, No. 3, pp.248-267, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1016/0001-8791(87)90042-X
- J. Taylor, "Public Service Motivation, Relational Job Design, and Job Satisfaction in Local Government," Public Administration, Vol. 92, No. 4, pp.902-918, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-9299.2012.02108.x
- M.-J. Lee, K.-H. Lee, and B.-S. Cho, "The Effects Consistency of Hr Practices on Organizational Performance: Moderating Role of Trust," Journal of Human Resource Management Research, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp.135-155, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14396/jhrmr.2017.24.1.135
- J.-J. Kim and S.-J. Limb, "Roles of Employees' Perceived Fairness & Cultural Attractiveness on Post-Merger Integration," Journal of Strategic Management, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp.75-97, 2010. https://doi.org/10.17786/jsm.2010.13.2.004
- J. R. Hackman and G. R. Oldham, "Development of the Job Diagnostic Survey," Journal of Applied Psychology, Vol. 60, No. 2, pp.159-170, 1975. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0076546
- G. A. Brewer and S. C. Selden, "Why Elephants Gallop: Assessing and Predicting Organizational Performance in Federal Agencies," Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp.685-712, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.jpart.a024287
- J. L. Perry, "Measuring Public Service Motivation: An Assessment of Construct Reliability and Validity," Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp.5-22, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.jpart.a024303
- D.-S. Kim, "Acceptance and Resistance of Organizational Members in Institutionalization Process", Ph.D. Dissertation, Korea University, 2003.
- J. A. Chatman, "Improving Interactional Organizational Research: A Model of Person-Organization Fit," Academy of Management Review, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp.333-349, 1989. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1989.4279063
- C. Fornell and F. L. Bookstein, "Two Structural Equation Models: Lisrel and Pls Applied to Consumer Exit-Voice Theory," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 19, No. 4, pp.440-452, 1982. https://doi.org/10.2307/3151718
- L. t. Hu and P. M. Bentler, "Cutoff Criteria for Fit Indexes in Covariance Structure Analysis: Conventional Criteria Versus New Alternatives," Structural Equation Modeling: A Multidisciplinary Journal, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp.1-55, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1080/10705519909540118
- A. C. Davison and D. V. Hinkley, "Bootstrap Methods and Their Application". MA: Cambridge University Press, 1997.
- V. Kinjerski and B. J. Skrypnek, "Creating Organizational Conditions That Foster Employee Spirit at Work," Leadership & Organization Development Journal, Vol. 27, No. 4, pp.280-295, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1108/01437730610666037
- K.-I. Choi and S.-S. Cho, "Effect of Self-Esteem on Multicultural Acceptability That Mediated by Job Satisfaction and Adjustment to Military Life for Republic of Korea Army Officials," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp.375-383, 2017.
- J.-H. Ha and J.-M. Lee, "The Mediating Effects of Self-Esteem on the Relationship between Economic Level and Teaching Efficacy : Focused on Early Childhood Preservice Teacher," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp.393-403, 2017.
- J.-R. Han and J.-M. Kim, "The Mediating Effects of Self-Efficacy between Metacognition and Learning Flow in College Students in Healthcare Field," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 6, pp.273-282, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.2.273
- Y.-G. Jeon, "The Mediating Effect of Job Satisfaction between Organizational Members' Turnover Intention and the Leadership Type of Middle Managers in Agricultural Cooperatives," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp.85-93, 2015.
- Y.-M. Jung, "The Effect of the Concentration of Hotel Employees on Job Performance Mediating Effect of Self-Efficacy," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp.147-155, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.3.147
- H.-H. Wang and J.-K. Kimg, "A Study on the Influence of Paternalistic Leadership on Organizational Commitment - the Mediating Effect of Organizational Identification," Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp.145-154, 2017. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2017.15.2.145