- Volume 15 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
SMEs' External Technological Information Network Diversity and Sales Growth : The Mediating Impact of the Productivity Improvement and the Moderating Effect of the Technology Development Driven by CEO
중소기업의 외부 기술 정보 네트워크의 다양성과 매출 성장 : 생산성 향상의 매개 효과와 최고경영자가 주도하는 기술 개발의 조절 효과
- Hau, Yong Sauk (School of Business, Yeungnam University)
- 허용석 (영남대학교 경영대학)
- Received : 2017.07.25
- Accepted : 2017.09.20
- Published : 2017.09.28
This research empirically analyzes not only the direct impact of the external technological information network diversity of small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) on the sales growth from their technology development but also the mediating impact of their productivity improvement and the moderating effect of the technology development driven by CEO on this direct impact in order to deepen the research stream on SMEs' external technological information network. Based on the ordinary least squares regression by using 2,200 data of South Korean SMEs, this study reveals the three findings. First, SMEs' external technological information network diversity positively influences their sales growth from technology development. Second, SMEs' productivity improvement partially mediates this positive influence of the external technological information network diversity. Third, SMEs' technology development driven by CEO moderates the positive influence.
SMEs;External Technological Information Network;Productivity Improvement;Sales Growth;Technology Convergence;Technology Development Driven by CEO
- H. W. Chesbrough, "The era of open innovation", MIT Sloan Management Review, Vol. 44, No. 3, pp. 35-41, 2003.
- H. W. Chesbrough "Open Innovation - The New Imperative for Creating and Profiting from Technology", Harvard Business School Press, 2006.
- Y. S. Hau, "An empirical analysis of the influence of external knowledge network on SMEs' new technology development and technology commercialization capabilities in the perspective of open innovation", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp. 149-156, 2016.
- Y. S. Hau, "External information network diversity and production management capability in IT SMEs in the age of digital convergence: The mediating effect of manufacturing capability", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 9, pp. 99-104, 2015.
- Y. S. Hau, "IT SMEs' external information network diversity and product quality improvement in the era of technology convergence : The mediating role of the production process improvement", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 199-204, 2017.
- P. Trott "Innovation Management and New Product Development", Prentice Hall, 2012.
- M. A. Schilling "Strategic Management of Technological Innovation", McGraw-Hill, 2013.
- V. K. Jolly "Commercializing New Technologies", Harvard Business School Press, 1997.
- Y. S. Hau, "IT SME ventures' external information network diversity and productivity improvement : The mediating role of the production period reduction", Journal of Society of Korea Industrial and Systems Engineering Vol. 40, No. 1, pp. 144-149, 2017. https://doi.org/10.11627/jkise.2017.40.1.144
- T. J. Coelli, D. S. Prasada Rao, C. J. O'Donnell, and G. E. Battese, "An Introduction to Efficiency and Productivity Analysis", Springer, 2005.
- F. Betz "Managing Technological Innovation : Competitive Advantage from Change", Wiley, 2011.
- A. Afuah "Innovation Management", Oxford University Press, 2003.
- M. E. Porter "Competitive Strategy : Techniques for Analyzing Industries and Competitors", Free Press, 1980.
- K. B. Akhilesh, " R & D Management", Free Press, 2014.
- Y. S. Hau, "The impact of SMEs' strategic use of the external information network for technology development on their cost reduction: The moderating effect of CEO-driven technology development", Journal of Product Research, Vol. 34, No. 4, pp. 55-60, 2016.
- J. Watson, "Modeling the relationship between networking and firm performance." Journal of Business Venturing, Vol. 22, No. 6, pp. 852-874, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusvent.2006.08.001
- M. E. Sobel, "Asymptotic confidence intervals for indirect effects in structural equation models." Sociological Methodology, Vol. 13, pp. 290-312, 1982. https://doi.org/10.2307/270723
- R. M. Baron, and D. A. Kenny, "The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research : Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations." Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 51, No. 6, pp. 1173-1182, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1683
- C. C. Clogg, E. Petkova, and A. Haritou, "Statistical methods for comparing regression coefficients between models." American Journal of Sociology, Vol. 100, No. 5, pp. 1261-1293, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1086/230638
- R. Paternoster, R. Brame, P. Mazerolle, and A. Piquero, "Using the correct statistical test for the equality of regression coefficients." Criminology, Vol. 36, No. 4, pp. 859-866, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-9125.1998.tb01268.x
- J. K. Kim and K. T. Hwang, "A study on the factors affecting technological innovation of innovative IT SMEs ", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 11, pp. 201-224, 2016.
- D. Sohn, J. Lee, and Y. Kim, "The effects of government support and regulation on SMEs technology innovation", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 4, pp. 117-125, 2017.
- D. Y. Lee, and S. G. Kim, "Determinants of technology transfer for convergence management strategy of small and medium enterprises", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 83-94, 2016.
- Y. S. Hau, "IT SMEs' product planning capability and manufacturing capability in the context of digital convergence: The mediating impacts of the product exterior and interior design capabilities", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 12, pp. 55-62, 2015.