- Volume 15 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
The Influence of Personality Characteristics and Self Leadership on Job Engagement and Turnover Intention: Focusing on Mediating Effect of Psychological Ownership
성격특성과 셀프리더십이 직무열의와 이직의도에 미치는 영향: 심리적 주인의식의 매개효과를 중심으로
- Baek, Soo-Min (Dept. of Information Management, Graduate School of Venture, Hoseo University) ;
- Yang, Hae-Sool (Dept. of Information Management, Graduate School of Venture, Hoseo University)
- Received : 2017.07.31
- Accepted : 2017.09.20
- Published : 2017.09.28
This study examines the effects of personality characteristics and self-leadership on job engagement and turnover intention, focusing on the mediating role of psychological ownership in the fourth industrial revolution and convergence environment. While personality characteristics had a significant positive effect on job engagement, there was indirect effect on turnover intention through mediation of psychological ownership. Self-leadership has a direct and indirect effect on job engagement, and it has a direct positive effect on turnover intention and negatively influences through mediation of psychological ownership. And the effect of psychological ownership was confirmed increasing job engagement and reducing turnover intention. The results of this study have implications for human resource development and organizational management.
Personality Characteristics;Self Leadership;Psychological Ownership;Job Engagement;Turnover Intention
- C. Pettijohn, L. Pettijohn, and A. J. Taylor, "Salesperson perceptions of ethical behaviors: Their influence on job satisfaction and turnover intentions." Journal of Business Ethics, Vol. 78, pp. 547-557, 2007.
- J. K. Kim and Yu Fu, "The Effect of Perceptions of Organizational Politics on Turnover Intention and Organizational Citizenship Behavior in Chinese Convergency Companies." The Journal of Digital Policy & Management, Vol. 13, No. 8, pp. 177-189, 2015.
- M. Barak, E. Michal, J. A. Nissly and A. Levin, "Antecedents child welfare, social network, and other human service employees." Social Service Review, Vol. 75, No. 4, pp. 625-661, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1086/323166
- E. M. McDuff and C. W. Mueller, "The ministry as an occupational labor market." Work and Occupations, Vol. 27, pp. 89-116, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1177/0730888400027001005
- W. H. Mobley, O. H. Stanley, and A. T. Hollingsworth. "An evaluation of precursors of hospital employee turnover." Journal of Applied psychology, Vol. 63, No. 4, pp. 408-414, 1978. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.63.4.408
- H. J. Lee and G. B. Choi, "The Influence of Hotel Service Employee's Personality Trait on Job Performance: Focused on The Mediating Role of Job Resourcefulness and Employee's Service Orientation." Journal of Korean Marketing Association, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 117-140, 2008.
- E. J. Kim and T. Y. Yoo, "The effects of job-related variables and personality traits on turnover intention of service employees in the food and beverage industry." The Korean Journal of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 355-373, 2004.
- J. Y. Chang, "The Relationship between Personality Characteristics and Turnover Behavior of R&D Professionals." The Korean Journal of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 23-42, 2001.
- Y. Y. Lee, "The Effect of Self-leadership on job commitment and Job stress: Focused on Mediating effect of Work and Life balance, Doctoral degree Hoseo University, 2012.
- S. H. Choi, I. S. Jang, S. M. Park and H. Y. Lee, "Effects of Organizational Culture, Self-Leadership and Empowerment on Job Satisfaction and Turnover intention in General Hospital Nurses." Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administra tion, Vol. 20, No. 2, pp. 206-214, 2014. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.2.206
- H. Y. Cho, K. J. Kim, and K. Y. Park. "An Exploratory Analysis of Antecedents and Consequences of Psychological Ownership: Focused on Hotel Employee." Korean Journal of Hospitality & Tourism, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 75-97, 2011.
- O. P. John, L. P. Naumann and C. J. Soto, "Paradigm shift to the integrative big five trait taxonomy: History, measurement and conceptual issues." Handbook of Personality: Theory and Research, New York: Guilford Press, pp. 114-158, 2008.
- J. M. Digman, "Personality structure: Emergence of the five factor model." Annual Review of Psychology, Vol. 41, pp. 417-440, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.ps.41.020190.002221
- M. R. Barrick, M. K. Mount and T. A. Judge, "Personality and performance at the beginning of the new millenium: What do we know and where do we go next?." International Journal of Selection and Assessment, Vol. 9, pp. 9-30, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1111/1468-2389.00160
- J. Y. Son, "The Effect of Big 5 Personality Traits on the Leadership Code of Employees in Korea Corporations." Korean Journal of Business Administration, Vol. 27, No. 7, pp. 1073-1089, 2014.
- M. S. Park, "A Study on Causal Relationship among Personality Traits, Emotional Intelligence, Psychological Well-being and Job Performance." Doctoral degree, Kyng Hee University, 2011.
- C. O. Lee, "Effect of Big 5 Personality Traits of hotel culinary employees and LMX on Innocative Behavior." Doctoral degree, Dong Eui University, 2014.
- C. C. Manz, "Mastering self-leadership: Empowering yourself for personal excellence, Englewood Cliff, NJ: Prentice- Hall, 1992.
- C. C. Manz and H. P. Sims, "The New Super Leadership." San Francisco, CA: Berrett-Koehler Publishers, 2001.
- J. D. Houghton and C. P. Neck, "The revised self-leadership quetionnaire: testing a hierarchical factor structure for self-leadership." Journal of Managerial Psychology, Vol. 17, pp. 672-691, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1108/02683940210450484
- J. L. Pierce, A. Rubenfeld, and S. Morgan, "Employee ownership: A conceptual model of process and effects." Academy of Management Review, Vol. 16, pp. 121-144, 1991. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMR.1991.4279000
- J. B. Avey, B. Avollio, C. Crossley and F. Luthans, "Psychological Ownership: Theore tical Extensions, Measurement, and Rela tion to Work Outcomes." Journal of Organi zational Behavior, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 173-191, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.583
- A. B. Bakker, W. B. Schaufeli, M. P. Leiter, and T. W. TAaris, "Work engagement: An emerging concept in occupational health psychology." Work & Stress, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 187-200, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1080/02678370802393649
- W. H. Molbey, "Employee Turnover: Cause, Consequences, and Control." MA: Addision-Wesley, 1982.
- J .H. Han, H. S. Yang, "Structural Relationships between the Variables of Person-Environment Fit, Positive Psychological Capital and Innovative Work Behavior." The Journal of Digital Policy & Management, Vol. 14, No. 10, pp. 225-240, 2016.
- M. E. Brown, "Identifications and some Conditions of Organizational Involvement." Administrative Science Quarterly, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp.346-355, 1969. https://doi.org/10.2307/2391129
- J. D. Seo, "The Effect of SME Entrepreneurs' Personality Traits and Self-leadership on Social Capital Mediated by Social Support", Doctoral degree, Soongsil University, 2016.
- J. J. Kim, "A Study on the Relationships between Personality Characteristics and Self-Leadership, Doctoral degree, University of Ulsan, 2011.
- Y. C. Kim, "A Study on the Antecedents and Consequences of Psychological Ownership Perceived by the Employee of Tourism Industries." Doctoral degree, Daegu University, 2009.
- G. W. Allport, "Patten and Growth in Personality." NY: Holt, Rinehart and Winston, 1961.
- E. M. Rogers, "Diffusion of Innovations." New York: Free Press, 1983.
- H. K. Yu, M. Y. Kim, and H. K. Chung, "Employees' Big 5 Personality, Perceived Organizational Support, and Customer Performance in Food Service Corporations." Korean Journal of Hospitality & Tourism, Vol. 16, No. 5, pp. 201-219, 2007.
- I. S. Lee, "An Analysis of Big 5 Personality Model and Business Ethics as Factors for Organizational Effectiveness." Korean management review, Vol. 32, No. 6, pp. 1593-1621, 2003.
- G. W. Allport and H. S. Odbert, "Trait-names: A psycho-lexical study." Psychological Monographs, Vol. 47, No. 1, pp. 171-220, 1936.
- R. B. Cattell, "The description of personality: Principles and finding sin afact or analysis." American Journal of Psychology, Vol. 58, pp. 69-90, 1945. https://doi.org/10.2307/1417576
- L. R. Goldberg, "Language and individual differences: The Big-five factor structure." Journal of Personality and Social Psych ology, Vol. 59, No. 6, pp. 1216-1299, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.116
- P. T. Costa and R. R. McCrae. "The NEO personality inventory manual", Odessa, FL: Psychological Assessment Resources, 1992.
- J. E. Kim and M. O. Kim, "A Study on the Influence of Office Professionals' Psychological Ownership on Job Engagement-Job Consciousness as a Parameter-." Jounral of Secretarial Studies, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 185-208, 2016.
- M. S. Heo and M. J. Cheon, "An Empirial Study on the Relationship between Psychological Ownership and BPI Learning Activity: Factors Influencing Psychological Ownership and Moderating Effect of Job Engagement." Korean Journal of Business Administration, Vol. 29, No. 4, pp. 619-649, 2016. https://doi.org/10.18032/kaaba.2016.29.4.619
- J. H. Yang, "The Relations of Stress, Job Satisfaction, Organizational Commitment and Turnover Intention in Medical Technicians." The Journal of Digital Policy & Management, Vol. 14, No. 7, pp. 233-241, 2016.
- D. H. Han, B. J. Chun, "The multi-level analysis of the impact on work engagement and job turnover due to colleagues and superiors deviant behavior in the workplace." Korean Academic Society Of Business Administration, pp. 1226-1259, 2015.
- H. S. Lee, and J . H. Lim, "SPSS 16.0 manual." Paju, Bobmunsa, 2009.
- J. F. Hair, W. C. Black, B. J. Babin, and R. E. Anderson, "Multivariate data analysis (7th Edition)." Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall, 2009.
- J. H. Kim, S. H. Hong, and B. D. Choo, "Applications of Structural Equation Modeling in Management Studies: A Critical Review." Korean Management Review, Vol. 36, No. 4, pp. 897-923, 2007.
- B. M. Byrne, "Structural equation modeling with AMOS: Basic concepts, applications, and programming (2nd edition)", New York: Routledge Taylor & Francis Group, 2010.
- S. Y. Kim, S. S. Kim, "The effect of new employee's self-leadership on turnover intention", Korean Academic Society Of Business Administration, 2014.08, p. 3241, 2014.