- Volume 15 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
How Does Media Reports Affect Consumers' Attitude toward the Telecommunication Expense?
언론보도에 따른 소비자의 이동통신비 인식에 대한 연구
- Park, Yong Wan (Barun ICT Research Center, Yonsei University) ;
- Son, Soomin (Barun ICT Research Center, Yonsei University)
- Received : 2017.05.24
- Accepted : 2017.09.20
- Published : 2017.09.28
This paper examined how consumers' attitude toward the telecommunication expense was affected by news reports through the experiment. Participants were randomly assigned to one of four group (control group, high-expense-claimed-media group, low-expense-claimed-media group, and both-exposed-media group), and asked to indicate credibility & neutrality toward media report, similarity between media report, and their own thought, their attitude toward the telecommunication expense. The result of ANOVA showed that the high-expense-claimed-media was perceived more credible and neutral than the low-expense-claimed-media. ANCOVA was conducted to eliminate the impact of similarity between media report and their own thought on the evaluation of credibility & neutrality toward media report, and the result showed that there was no difference. Also, participants evaluated the telecommunication service so expensive, regardless of what kind of media reports they were exposed. We found that consumers' prior belief, which telecommunication service was expensive, might interrupt consumers' learning process for new information from media. To resolve the social pressure about mobile service rate-cutting, it is necessary to investigate how to dampen consumers' stereotype about the telecommunication expense. The future research using the framing effect could be considerable.
- J. W. Byun, "Re-Thinking the Issue of Smartphone Users' Spending on Mobile Telephony Services." Korean Telecommunications Policy Review, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 111-133, 2016.
- H. M. Lee, J. W. Park, & D. S. Han, "A Bipolarization of Public Opinions : An Empirical Analysis on Discourse Competition of PR Communication and Biased News Reporting on Nuclear Issues." Korea Advertising Society, Vol. 26, No. 6, pp. 223-261, 2015.
- H. M. Lee, "How Organization-Public Issues are Perceived, Discussed, and Diffused An Experimental Analysis on the Effects of Exposure to Sided Media Coverage and Small-Group Conversations." Korean Journal of Advertising, Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 219-250, 2014.
- S. S. Jo, & Y. W. Kim, "The Explorative Study of TV Debate Programs from the Perspective of Rhetorical Public Relations." Journal of Public Relations, Vol.. 13, No. 1, pp. 62-96, 2009. https://doi.org/10.15814/jpr.2009.13.1.62
- J. W. Park, H. M. Lee, & D. S. Han, "A Comparative Analysis of News Frames across Different Media Outlets : News Coverage of the Blackout Accident at the Nuclear Power Plant in Gori." Journal of Communication Science, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 31-74, 2014.
- S. Choi, "The Nuclear Related Organization Workers' Perceptions about Nuclear Power Plant News in Korea." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 7, pp. 85-93, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.7.85
- H. M. Cho, "Study of Trend of Reporting on GMO as a Convergence Technology: Focused on analyzing Articles in Major Domestic Daily Newspapers from 1994 to 2015." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 12, pp. 267-281, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.12.267
- H. J. Kang, "A Study on the influence of journalist's Role-Cognition and Role-Orientation Upon Real Reportage attitude-Focus in editors of National Newspaper." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 9, pp. 101-109, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.9.101
- Y. W. Kim, "Public Relations as Discourse Struggles : A New Paradigm and Setting the Direction of Theory Development." Communication Theories, Vol. 8, No. 1, pp. 352-386, 2012.
- S. K. Ham, & Y. W. Kim, "Public Relations as Discourse Struggles An Analysis on the Construction Conflict of Power Transmission Facilities in Milyang-city." Journal of Public Relations Research, Vol. 18, No. 1, pp. 276-319, 2014. https://doi.org/10.15814/jpr.2014.18.1.276
- R. Heath, "Organizations and Public Policy Challenges." Strategic Issues Management, Sages, 1997.
- Y. W. Ha, H. K. Ahn, Y. W. Park, & K. M. Kim, "The Impact of Negative Publicity on Consumer's Attitude toward the Firm." Korean Management Review, Vol. 33, No. 1, pp. 241-272, 2004.
- J. C. Park, W. J. An, & H. J. Lee, "The Effects of Corporate Corresponding Time on the Negativity Publicity." Asia Marketing Journal, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 113-136, 2011.
- N. C. Lee, "Korea Mobile Telecommunications Index: Methodology of International Comparison of Mobile Pricing." International Telecommunications Policy Review, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 65-92, 2012.
- Korea Information & Communication Industry Institute, "Communication Service Cost and Benefit Analysis" 2015.
- S. J. Hoch, & J. Deighton, "Managing What Consumers Learn from Experience." Journal of Marketing, Vol. 53, pp. 1-20, 1989.
- S. J. Hoch, & Y. W. Ha, "Consumer Learning: Advertising and the Ambiguity of Product Experience." Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 13, pp. 221-233, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1086/209062
- J. R. Bettman, "An Information Processing Theory of Consumer Choice." MA: Addision-Wesley Publishing Company, 1979.
- F. R. Kardes, M. L. Cronley, J. J. Kellaris, & S. S. Posavac, "The Role of Selective Information Processing in Price-Quality Inference." Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 31, pp. 368-374, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1086/422115
- R. K. Bothwell, & J. C. Brigham, "Selective evaluation and recall during the 1980 Reagan-Carter debate." Journal of Applied Social Psychology, Vol. 13, No. 5, pp. 427-442, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.1983.tb01750.x
- P. H. Ditto, & D. F. Lopez, "Motivated skepticism: Use of differential decision cirtieria for preferred and nonpreferred conclusion." Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 63, pp. 568-584, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35220.127.116.118
- R. S. Wyer, & D. Frey, "The effects of feedback about self and others on the recall and judgments of feedback-relevant information." Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, Vol. 19, pp. 540-559, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1031(83)90015-X
- D. A. Houston, & R. H. Fazio, "Biased processing as a function of attitude accessibility: Making objective judgments subjectively." Social Cognition, Vol. 7, pp. 51-66, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1521/soco.1918.104.22.168
- C. G. Lord, R. Lee, & M. R. Lepper, "Biased assimilation and attitude polarization: The effects of prior theories on subsequently considered evidence." Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 37, pp. 2098-2109, 1979. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1248
- C. S. Ahn, "Ordinary Press Consumers' Predisposed Attitude's and Fairness Judgment." Journal of Communication & Information, Vol. 46, pp. 323-353, 2009.
- J. L. Hilton, & W. V. Hippel, "Stereotypes." Annual Review of Psychology, Vol. 47, 1996.
- H. K. Ahn, & Y. W. Ha, "Corporate Brand as a Stereotype : Effects of Stereotype - Incongruent Information on Stereotype Change." Korea Marketing Review, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 109-134, 2001.
- L. G. Margues, & D. M. Mackie, "The Impact of Stereotype-Incongruent Information on Perceived Group Variability and Stereotype Change." Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 77, pp. 979-900, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.1999
- S. K. Chung, "A Study on the Effects of Handset Bundling on Competition and Consumer Welfare." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 7, pp. 11-20, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.7.11
- S. D. Yoo & J. I. Kim, "Research on Consumer Protection of Carrier Billing Services." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 1-10, 2015. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.3.1
- J. H. Yoon, Y. S. Jung, & G. G. Kim, "The influence of VAT framing on the attitude toward price frame : Focused on the moderating effect of thinking style." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 12, pp. 181-188, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.12.181
- S. Y. Lee & H. M. Kim, "The Effect of Bundle Framing on Purchase Intention." Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 12, pp. 233-241, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.12.233