- Volume 15 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
The Moderating Effects of Birth Rate Policies between Korean Women's Values of Children and Their Intentions for Subsequent Childbirth
기혼여성의 자녀가치관과 추가출산의향 간의 관계에서 출산장려정책의 조절효과 분석
- Lee, Wan (Department of Public Administration, Gachon University) ;
- Chae, Jae-Eun (Department of Public Administration, Gachon University)
- Received : 2017.07.31
- Accepted : 2017.09.20
- Published : 2017.09.28
This study aims to analyze whether both childcare subsidy and childcare leave policies have moderating effects on the relationship between Korean women's value of children and their intentions for subsequent childbirth. The data are used from the 2015 National Survey on Fertility and Family Health and Welfare. Both hierarchical multiple regression analysis and moderated regression analysis are used for statistical analysis. The findings from the study are as follow. First, the ideal number of children, instrumental values, and emotional values have positive effects on the intentions for subsequent childbirth after controlling for background variables(level of education, income, age, and number of children). Second, childcare leave policy has no significant effect on the intentions for subsequent childbirth while childcare subsidy policy has the negative effect. Third, only childcare subsidy policy has moderating effects on the relationship between instrumental, emotional values, and the intentions for subsequent childbirth. These results suggest that policies enhancing the value of children should be implemented in addition to traditional birth rate policies. Furthermore, new birth rate polices are needed for those married women who have a high possibility of subsequent childbirth.
Intention for subsequent childbirth;Value of children;Birth rate policies;Childcare subsidy;Childcare leave;Moderating effect
- National Assembly Budget Office, "Low Birth Rate Measures 1", p.92, 2016.
- OECD, "Fertility Rates (indicator). doi: 10.1787/8272fb01-en", August 7, 2017.
- Lutz, W., Skirbekk, V. & Testa, M. R. "The Low Fertility Trap Hypothesis: Forces that may Lead to Further Postponement and Fewer Births in Europe", Vienna Yearbook of Population Research, Vol. 4, pp.167-192, 2006.
- J. S. Kim, "Parity Specific Approach to the Plan of Having an Additional Child", Korea Journal of Population Studies, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp.97-116. 2007.
- S. S. Lee, H. J. Cho, "Study on Relationship between Change in Life Course and Fertility Behavior", Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, p.107, 2010.
- S. H. Chung, "A Study of the Effectiveness of Policies in Response to Low Fertility", Korea Journal of Population Studies, Vol. 35, No. 1, pp.31-52, 2012.
- H. K. Kim, S. W. Lim, R. R. Lee, S. H. Park, D. S. Go, H. N. Na, K. S. Lee, H. S. Rhee. "The Survey Research on Pregnant Woman's Recognition about GO-UN-MAM CARD of Childbirth Promotion Policy", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp.241-250, 2012.
- Y. O. Han, "A Study of the Impact of the Rearing Support Policies on the Willingness of Childbirth." Ph. D. dissertation, Kyungwon University, 2012.
- H. J. Ju, K. H. Kwak, J. Y. Jo, "Effects of Social Economic Factors and Policy-Based Factors on Childbirth Intentions", Korean Public Management Review, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp.211-228, 2010. https://doi.org/10.24210/kapm.2010.24.4.009
- I. O. Kim, H. J. Wang, G. C. Jung, S. Y. Choi, "The Effect of Policy on Childbirth Encouragement and Working Time on Secondary Childbirth Intention of Married Women", Korea Journal of Population Studies, Vol. 34, No. 3, pp.139-155, 2011.
- S. H. Lee, C. H. Lee, S. C. Hong, "Impact Evaluation of Korea's Pro-natal Policies", Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, p.166, 2016.
- KDI, "Maternity Leave/Support Program for Childcare Leave". Korea Development Institute, p. 58, 2009.
- McDonald, P. "Gender Equity, Social Institutions and the Future of Fertility", Journal of Population Research Studies, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp.1-15, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03029445
- Van de Kaa, D. J. "The Idea of a Second Demographic Transition in Industrialized Countries" Paper Presented at the Sixth Welfare Policy Seminar of the National Institute of Population and Social Security, pp.1-33, Tokyo, Japan, 29 January, 2002.
- Blau, D. M., Robins, P. K. "Fertility, Employment, and Child-care Costs", Demography, Vol. 25, No. 2, pp.287-299, 1989.
- Fishbein, M., Ajzen, I. "Belief, Attitude, Intention and Behavior: an Introduction to Theory and Research." Reading MA : Addison-Wesely, 1975
- Neyer, G., Vignoli, D., Lappegard, T. "Gender, Economic Conditions and Fertility. Does Context Matter for Fertility Intentions". In Population Association of America Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, March, 2011.
- K. S. Chang, "Family, Life, Political Economy", Changbi Publishers, p.15, 2009.
- K. S. Eun, "Age at Marriage, Marriage Cohort and First Birth Interval", The Korean Sociological Association, Vol. 35, No. 6, pp.105-139, 2001.
- D. S. Kim, "Provide a Second Child Family with the Benefits of Multiple-Child Family Including Special Housing Provision Program", http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2017/06/21/2017062100362.html, July 10, 2017.
- Becker, G. S. "An Economic Analysis of Fertility", Demographic and Economic Change in Developed Countries, A Conference of the Universities-National Bureau Committee for Economic Research, Columbia University Press, pp.209-240, 1960.
- S. H. Kim, "The Effect of Female Worker's Working Conditions on Fertility", Social Welfare Policy, Vol. 36, No. 2, pp.113-137, 2009. https://doi.org/10.15855/swp.2009.36.2.113
- E. J. Kim, S. L. Lee, W. J. Lee, H. N, Kim, "Study on the Fertility and Childcare Behavior by Income Group and Policy Directions", Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, p.145, 2011.
- Y. J. Shin, T. Y. Sung, E. Y. Choi, "The Burden of Childcare and Education Expenses Affecting Childbirth." Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, p.215, 2008.
- E. H. Joung, Y. S. Choi, "The Factors Asso -ciated with the Birth Plan for Second Child and Second Birth for Married Women in Korea", Health and Social Welfare Review, Vol. 33, No. 1, pp.5-34, 2013.
- J. G. Ha. "Economic Analysis of Low Fertility in Korea", Korean Journal of Political Economy, Vol. 39, pp.137-173, 2012.
- Becker, G.S., H.G. Lewis. "On the Interaction between the Quantity and Quality of Children", Journal of Political Economy, Vol. 81, No. 2, pp.279-288, 1973. https://doi.org/10.1086/260166
- C. H. Park, "The Effects of Childcare Support, Value of Children and Psychological Well-Being on Second Childbirth Plans for Employed Mothers with An Infant of 10 Months or Younger", Korean Journal of Human Ecology, Vol. 21, No. 1, pp.95-111, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2012.21.1.95
- S. S. Lee, H. J. Cho, H. S, Yoon, "Family Change and Its Impact on Marriage and Fertility", Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, 2015.
- H. S. Jeon. "The Effects of Familism and Sense of Intimacy to Older Parents on Filial Respons -ibility of Korean Women", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 5, pp.501-506, 2016.
- S. G. Lee, "Factors Affecting Baby Boomer's Life Satisfaction: Focusing on Gender Difference", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 10, pp.73-86, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2014.12.10.73
- M. J. Seo, "The Effects of Parents' Psychosocial Characteristics on Follow-up Planned Childbirth: Focused on Family with Children", Korean Journal of Childcare and Education Policy, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp.127-148, 2011.
- J. W. Lee, K. E. Kim, W. S. Lim, "Family and Child Factors Affecting the Second Childbirth Plan in One Child Family: Focus on the Family Environments and Children's Daily Habits" Korean Journal of Child Care and Education Policy, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp.1-22, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40723-014-0004-5
- Duvander, A. Lappegard, T., Andersson, G. "Family Policy and Fertility: Fathers' and Mothers' Use of Parental Leave and Continued Childbearing in Norway and Sweden", Journal of European Social Policy, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp.45-57, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1177/0958928709352541
- J. W. Lee, "A Pathway Analysis on Determination of Intention of Second Childbirth in Working Women with a Child: Focused on Value Factors", Korea Journal of Welfare, Vol. 40, No. 1, pp.323-351, 2009.
- M. J. Ma, "An Exploratory Study on the Intention and the Avoidance of Second Childbirth of Working Couples", Korean Journal of Parent Education, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp.75-116, 2008.
- Arnold, F., Bulatao, R.A., Buripakdi, C., Chung, B. J., Fawcett, J. T., Iritanni, T., Lee, S. J., & Wu, T. S. "Value of Children : A Cross-National Study", Honolulu: East-West Center, Vol. 1, p.222-p.2, 1975.
- G. H. Lee, "Factor Affecting the Additional Maternity Intent of Married Woman According to the Number of Childbirths", M.A. dissertation, The University of Seoul, p.126, 2017.
- S. S. Lee, J. S. Park, S. Y. Lee, H. J. Choi, M. Y. Young, "The 2015 National Survey on Fertility and Family Health and Welfare", Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs, 2015.
- M. S. Kim, "Fertility Intention by Childcare Leave System of Working Couple", M.A. dissertation, Chung-Ang University, 2015.
- Lappegard, T. "Family Policies and Fertility in Norway." European Journal of Population, Vol. 26, pp.99-116, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10680-009-9190-1
- Y. J. Song, "An Analysis of Married Women's Fertility Plans in Korea", The Korean Journal of Community Living Science, Vol. 25, No. 3, 2014.
- Y. H. Ju, E. S. Jung, M. S. Shim, "The Relationship of College Students' Value on Marriage, Children and Sexual Attitude", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp.267-278, 2013.
- M. S. Jang, H. S. Yang. "Study on the Influence of Childbirth Promotion Policy Due to Postpartum Care and Maternity Leave to Economical Activities in the Era of Convergence", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 10, pp.245-254, 2015.
- M. O. Lee, S. J. Myung, "A Study on the Effectiveness of the Childbirth Promotion Policy: A Case of Uiryeong-Gun, Gyeongsang nam-do", Korean Journal of Local Government & Administration Studies, Vol. 29, No. 1, pp.331-350, 2015. https://doi.org/10.18398/kjlgas.2015.29.1.331
- Y. K. Ryu, "A Comparative Study on Effect of Welfare States' Childcare Support Systems on Total Fertility Rates", Korean Social Security Studies, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp.233-261, 2005.
- A. N. Kim, Y. S. Kwon, "Effect of Employed Mother's Work-Mother Role Conflict on Parenting Stress: Mediation Effect of Parental Satisfaction", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 12, No. 10, pp.375-384, 2014.
- MCST, "Report on Survey of Koreans' Consciousness and Value in 2016", Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism, p.330-p.21, 2016.
- M. K. Moon, B. T. Kim, H. Y. Kim, "A Study on the Utilization of Childcare Leave of Public Servants in Local Governments", Korean Women's Development Institute, p.112, 2015 .
- J. S. Hong. "Maternal Age and Infant Mortality in Korea", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 9, pp.379-387, 2016.