- Volume 15 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
A Study on Variables influencing Adolescents' Depression: Based on Gender Comparison
청소년의 우울과 관련 변인 연구: 성별 비교를 중심으로
- Lee, Chang Seek (Dept. of Child and Adolescent Welfare, Hanseo University) ;
- Jang, Ha Young (Dept. of Lifelong Education, Hanseo University)
- Received : 2017.08.02
- Accepted : 2017.09.20
- Published : 2017.09.28
This study aimed to identify variables related to violence affecting adolescents' depression. For this study, 1011 adolescents were surveyed in D city of Korea. Major results were as follows. First, it was found out that adolescents' depression was significantly different depending on gender, academic achievement, family income level, school level. Second, depression, domestic violences, school violence victimizations and bullying behaviors were positively correlated. Third, As a hierarchical regression analysis, it was found that the explanatory power of domestic violence and school violence were significant for both male and female adolescents. And the explanatory power of domestic violence was higher than school violence. Lastly, based on these results, the ways to reduce adolescents' depression were discussed.
Depression;Domestic violence;School violence victimization;School bullying behavior;Adolescents
- M. H. Kim, "The Effects of Perceived Parental Attitude and Temperament on Depression in Adolescence", Unpublished Master's Dissertation, Hannam University, 2009.
- S. H. Kim, "The mediating Effects of Negative Cognitions on Gender Differences in Depression and Delinquency in Adolescents", Unpublished Master's Dissertation, Sookmyung Women's University, 2006.
- J. Y. Bae, "The study on Mental Health of Korean Adolescents", The Journal of Korean Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing Academic Society, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp.308-317, 2006.
- Research on Suicide Prevention for Youth, www.nypi.re.kr 2013.
- J. Ryu, & B. M. Kim, & H. S. Shin, & J. Y. Jung, & N. H. Choi, "Relationship with Stress from University Entrance Competitions, Self Esteem, Coping Strategy of High School Students in Korea", Crysisonomy, Vol. 6, No.3, pp.223-241, 2010.
- B. K. Shin, & S. J. Lee, "Relations among Adolescents' Domestic Violence, School Violence, Depression-Anxiety, and Suicide", Journal of Koreanology, Vol. , No.44, pp.281-318, 2012.
- W. R. Kim, "Mediated Effect of Career Maturity on the Relationship between Familty Relation and Adolescent's Depression", Unpublished Master's Dissertation, Gyungsang University, 2015.
- E. H. Ha, "The Mediating Effects of Negative Cognitions on Gender differences in Depression and Delinquency in Adolescenets", Unpublished Master's dissertation, Sookmyung Women's University, 2006.
- R. Michael, & K. Erick, "The Relation between dimensions of Attachment and Internalizing or Externalizing Problems during Adolescence", Journal of Genetic Psychology, 167, pp.47-63, 2006. https://doi.org/10.3200/GNTP.167.1.47-63
- J. H. Yu, & J. S. Park, & D. H. Park, & S. H. Yu, & J. H. Ha, "Validation of the Korean Childhood Trauma Questionnaire: The practical use in counselling and therapeutic intervention", The Korean Journal of Health Psychology, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp.563-578, 2009. https://doi.org/10.17315/kjhp.2009.14.3.006
- P. E. Mullen, & J. L. Martin, & J. C. Anderson, S. E. Romans, & G. P. Herbison, "The long-term impact of the physical, emotional, and sexual abuse of children: A Coomunity study", Child abuse & neglect, Vol 20, No. 1, pp.7-21, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1016/0145-2134(95)00112-3
- B. D. Sohn, "A Study on the Multi-Dimensional Variables Influencing Adolescents' Depression", Journal of Korean Council for Children & Rights, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp.481-510, 2009.
- J. Y. Kim, & K. H. Lee, "Effects of Adolescents' Abuse Experience on Suicidal Ideation: Focused on Moderated Mediation Effect of Self-esteem on Depression and Anxiety", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol. 45, No. 5, pp.752-760, 2015. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2015.45.5.752
- T. O. Afifi, & M. W. Enns, & B. J. Cox, & J. G, Asmundson-Gordon, & M. B. Stein, & J. Sareen, "Population Attributable Fractions of Psychiatric Disorders and Suicide Ideation and Attempts Associated with Adverse Childhood Experiences", American Journal of Public Health, Vol. 98, No. 5, pp.946-952, 2008. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2007.120253
- J. R. Baek, & I. J. Jung, "A Meta-Analysis on the Effects of Witness to Spousal Violence and Child Abuse on Depression in childhood and Adolescence", Social Science Research Review, Vol. 29, No. 1, pp.121-142, 2013.
- H. W. Park, "A Participatory Research on the Program Development of Reducing Aggressive Behavior of Children Exposed to Family Violence", Journal of the Korean Society of Child Welfare, Vol. , No. 17, pp.101-130, 2004.
- K. Kracke, "Children's Exposure to Violence: The Safe Start Initiative", Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention, 2001.
- S. M. Bae, "The mediating effects of depressive mood and aggression in relationships between school violence victimization and delinquency", Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 24, No. 3, pp.251-268, 2017. https://doi.org/10.21509/KJYS.2017.01.24.2.251
- E. H. Lee, & J. M. Son, "A Study on the Influential Factors on the Mental Health of the Junior Highschool Student who Experience School Violence: Application of the Resiliency Model", Korean Journal of Youth Welfare, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp.149-172, 2011.
- E. Y. Kim, "An Investigation of Factors Influencing on Adolescents' Bullying Behaviors-An Examination of the Impact of Bullying Victimization and Exposure to Inter-Parental Violence-", Journal of Korean Public Police and Security Studies, Vol. 11, No. 1, pp.1-22, 2014.
- D. Olweus, "Bullying at School: What We Know and What We can do", MA: Blackwell Publishing, 1993.
- J. R. Kim, & H. S. Kim, "The Influence of Family Violence and School Violence on Suicidal Impulses in Adolescents", Health and Social Welfare Review, Vol. 34, No. 2, pp.310-333, 2014. https://doi.org/10.15709/hswr.2014.34.2.310
- H. J. Lee, & S. Y. Hwang, "Mediating Effect of School Victimization Experience on Adolescents' ADHD Tendency and School Bullying Behavior", Journal of the Korean Scociety of Child Welfare, Vol. , No. 42, pp.83-108, 2013.
- H. S. Wei & M. Jonson-Reid, "Friends Can Hurt You: Examining the Coexistence of Friendship and Bullying among Early Adolescents", School Psychology International, Vol. 32, No.3, pp.244-262, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1177/0143034311402310
- A. R. Lee, & Y. J. Lee, & H. I. Yang, "The effects of Cyber Bullying and Bullied Experience on Upper Elementary Students' Aggression and Verbal Aggression", The Korea Journal of Counseling, Vol. 15, No. 6, pp.2437-2450, 2014. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.15.6.201412.2437
- K. E. Go, & S. R. Lee, "The Characteristics of Violence Middle-School Students with Victims and Offenders Experience and the Effect Variables on their School Life Adjustment: Based on the Comparison between School Violence Students' Types", The Korea Journal of Counseling, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp.1-28, 2015.
- M. H. Bae, "A Study of Predictive Model about Offender, Victim, and Bystander on Adolescents School Violence", Unpublished Doctoral Dissertation, Kyungki University, 2013.
- J. Y. Cho, & I. S. Oh, "The relationship between type of school violence experience, changes in experience, and emotional factors", Studies on Korean Youth, Vol. 25, No. 4, pp.301-323, 2014. https://doi.org/10.14816/sky.2014.25.4.301
- H. K. Choi, "The process of caregiving stress among Korean caregivers for elderly", Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Conel University. 1992.
- J. Y. Park, "The mediational effects of resiliency on school violence causing adolescent depression and suicide: Focusing on gender differences", Korean Journal of Social Welfare Studies, Vol. 41, No.1 pp.345-375, 2010.
- U. K. No, & S. H. Hong, "Identifying latent classes in early adolescents' emotional depression changes and testing relationship as determinants of the classes", The Korean Journal of Educational Methodology Studies, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp.91-110, 2010. https://doi.org/10.3946/kjme.2010.22.2.91
- C. R. Gang, & Y. T. Jo, "The Effect of Socical Discrimination on Suicide Ideation", Korea Journal of Population Studies, Vol. 35, No. 3, pp.1-27, 2012.
- A. Small, & T. Gessner, & T. Ferguson, "Sex Role and Dysphoric Mood", Sex Roles, Vol. 11, No. 7, pp.627-638, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00288116
- J. Y. Kim, "Study of factors affecting juvenile's mental health: Comparing middle, high, university students", DONGAINMUNHAK, Vol. , No. 31, pp.493-533, 2015.
- C. S. Lee, & J. Y. Park, & H. Y. Jang "The Mediating Effect of Self-esteem between School Violence Victimization and Happiness of Adolescents", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No.1, pp.35-43, 2017.
- Y. C. Jung, "Relationship between Home Environment and Adolescents' Depression Tendency", Unpublished Master's Dissertation, Gangreung University, 2001.
- L. Alpern, & K. Lynos-Ruth, "Preschool Children at Social Risk: Chronically and Timing of Maternal Depressive Symptoms and Child Behavior Problems at School and at Home", Development and Psychopathology, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp.371-387, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0954579400004478
- E. Rhee, & M. J. Park, "The Development of An Arts Therapy Program for the Improvement of Self-Efficacy of Adolescents with School Adjustment Problems", Journal of Music Education Science, Vol. 14, No. , pp.245-262, 2012.