- Volume 55 Issue 5
Severe dust explosions occurred frequently in food processing industries and explosion damage increase by flame propagation in pipes or plants. However there are few fire explosion data available due to various powder characteristics. We investigated the characteristics of ignition and explosion on sugar, cornstarch and flour dust with high frequency accidents and high social demand. The measurements showed the median diameter of 27.56, 14.76,
Dust explosion;Sugar;Constarch;Flour;Flame propagation time
- Zhi, Y., Nima, K., Faisal, K., Paul, A., "Dust Explosions: A Threat to the Process Industries," Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 98, 57-71(2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psep.2015.06.008
- Theimer, O. F., "Cause and Prevention of Dust Explosions in Grain Elevators and Flour milling," Powder Technology, 8(3-4), 137-147(1973). https://doi.org/10.1016/0032-5910(73)80076-2
- CSB, "Combustible Dust Hazard Study," U.S. Chemical Safety Board, Washington D.C., (2006).
- Giby Joseph, CSB Hazard Investigation Team, "Combustible dusts: A Serious Industrial Hazard," Journal of Hazardous Materials, 142(3), 589-591(2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2006.06.127
- Angela, S. B., "Dust Explosion Incidents and Regulations in the United States," J. Loss Prev. in the Process Ind., 20(4-6), 523-529(2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jlp.2007.03.012
- Paul, B., "Insights into Process Safety Incidents from an Analysis of CSB Investigations," J. Loss Prev. in the Process Ind., 43, 537-548(2016). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jlp.2016.07.002
- Database for Major Industrial Accidents, Korea Occupational Safety and Health Agency (1988-2016).
- Alvaro, R., Javier, G.-T. and Pedro, J. A., "Determination of Parameters used to prevent Ignition of Stored Materials and to protect against Explosions in Food Industries," Journal of Hazardous Materials, 168(1), 115-120(2009). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2009.02.013
- Proust, C. and Veyssiere, B., "Fundamental Properties of Flames Propagating in Starch Dust-Air Mixtures," Combust Sci Technol., 62(4-6), 149-172(1988). https://doi.org/10.1080/00102208808924007
- Proust, C., "A Few Fundamental Aspects about Ignition and Flame Propagation in Dust Clouds," J. Loss Prev. in the Process Ind., 19(2-3), 104-120(2006). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jlp.2005.06.035
- Mazurkiewicz, J., Jarosinski, J. and Wolanski, P., "Investigations of Burning Properties of Cornstarch Dust-air Flame," Arch. Combust., 13(3-4), 189-201(1993).
- Encinar, J. M., Beltran, F. J., Gonzalez, J. F. and Moreno, M. J., "Pyrolysis of Maize, Sunflower, Grape and Tobacco Residues," J. Chem. Technol. Biotechnol, 70(4), 400-410(1997). https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4660(199712)70:4<400::AID-JCTB797>3.0.CO;2-6
- Wang, S., Pu, Y., Jia, F., Gutkowski, A. and Jarosinski, J., "An Experimental Study on Flame Propagation in Cornstarch Dust Clouds," Combustion Science and Technology, 178(10-11), 1957-1975(2006). https://doi.org/10.1080/00102200600790979
- ASTM E537-07, Standard Test Method for the Thermal Stability of Chemicals by Differential Scanning Calorimeter, The American Society for Testing and Materials(2007).
- ASTM E1226, Standard Test Method for Pressure and Rate of Pressure Rise for Combustible Dusts, The American Society for Testing and Materials(1988).
- Han, O. S. and Lee, K. W., "Explosion Characteristics and Flame Velocity of Suspended Plastic Powders," Korean Chem. Eng. Res., 54(3), 367-373(2016). https://doi.org/10.9713/kcer.2016.54.3.367
- Alvaro, R., Javier, G.-T., Alberto, T., "Experimental Determination of Self-heating and Self-ignition risks associated with the Dusts of Agricultural Materials commonly Stored in Silos," Journal of Hazardous Materials, 175(1-3), 920-927(2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2009.10.096
- Zhang, Q. and Zhang, B., "Effect of Ignition Delay on Explosion Parameters of Corn dust/air in Confined Chamber," J. Loss Prev. in the Process Ind., 33, 23-28(2015). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jlp.2014.11.009
- Bartknecht, W., "Dust explosions : Course, Prevention, Protection," Springer-Verlag, 56-80(1989).
- Jiri, S., Ales, B., Ales, B., Petr, L., Miroslav, M. and Martin, P., "The Influence of Air Flow on Maximum Explosion Characteristics of Dust-Air Mixtures," J. Loss Prev. in the Process Ind., 26, 209-214(2013). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jlp.2012.11.002
- Eckhoff, R. K., "Dust Explosions in the Process Industries-3rd ed.," Gulf professional publishing, 340-341(2003).
Proust, Ch., Accorsi, A. and Dupont, L., "Measuring the Violence of Dust Explosions with the 20 L Sphere and with the Standard ISO
$1m^3$Vessel Systematic Comparison and Analysis of the Discrepancies," J. Loss Prev. in the Process Ind., 20, 599-606(2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jlp.2007.04.032
- Fumagalli, A., Derudi, M., Rota, R. and Copelli, S., "Estimation of the Deflagration Index KSt for Dust Explosions," J. Loss Prev. in the Process Ind., 44, 311-322(2016). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jlp.2016.09.011