- Volume 55 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Spontaneous Ignition Characteristics and Fire Risk of Commercial Wood Pellets
산업용 우드펠릿의 자연발화 특성과 화재위험성에 관한 연구
- Received : 2017.06.11
- Accepted : 2017.07.14
- Published : 2017.10.01
Using wood pellets, which are used as fuel for thermal power generation plants, as test specimens, the minimum spontaneous ignition temperatures according to the size of the container for the test specimens were measured, and by applying the Frank-Kamenetskii theories on thermal energy to these temperatures, the danger factor of the materials were calculated by deriving the apparent activation energies. The results confirmed that the ignition threshold temperature decreased as the size of the container increased and that the spontaneous ignition energy was 37.83 kcal/mol. The results also confirmed that the larger the container for the test specimens was the time to arrive at the spontaneous ignition time and maximum temperature also increased.
Wood pellet;Minimum spontaneous ignition temperatures;Apparent activation energy
- Choi, J. W., Mok, Y. S. and Ha, D. M., "A Study on the Spontaneous Ignition of Hydroxy Propyl Methyl Cellulose," Fire Science and Engineering, 15(4), 34-40(2001).
- Hadong Fire Station, "H Thermal Power Plant Wood Pellet Transfer Facility Fire Site Survey," (2015).
- Yoon, S. W., Kang, H. D. and Kang, K. Y., "Bio Industry and Environment," Moonumsa Publisher, 292-300(2010).
- Mok, Y. S. and Choi, J. W., "A Study on Auto Ignition of Granulated Activated Carbon with Change of Ambient Temperature," J. Korean Society of Safety, 7(4), 45-53(1992).
- Kim, S. R., Mok, Y. S. and Choi, J. W., "A Study on Spontaneous Ignition Estimation of Granulated Activated Carbon," Korean Chem. Eng. Res., 31(5), 538-546(1993).
- Lee, S. H., "Fire Science," Donghwagisul Publisher, 101-105 (2012).
- Beamish, B. B., Lau, A. G., Moodie, A. L. and Vallance, T. A., "Assessing the Self-heating Behaviour of Callide Coal Using A 2-metre Column," J. of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 15, 385-390(2002). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0950-4230(02)00020-7
- Krause, U. and Schmidt, M., "The Influence of Initi- al Conditions on the Propagation of Smouldering Fir- es in Dust Accumulations," J. of Loss Preventi on in the Process Industries, 14, 527-532(2001). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0950-4230(01)00039-0
- Thomas, P. H., "Self-heating and Thermal Ignition - A Guide to its Theory and Application," America Society for Testing and Materials, 56-82(1972).
- Choi, J. W., Mok, Y. S., Ok, G. and Sagong, S. H., "A Study on the Spontaneous Ignition of Painting Waste," J. Korean Society of Safety, 14(2), 90-96(1999).
- Choi, J. J., "Hazard Estimate of Flour Evaluat- ed From its Characteristics of Heat Decompos- ition and Spontaneous Ignition," Graduate School, Chungnam National University, 1-5 (2010).
- Kitagawa, T., "Chemical Safety Engineering," A Daily News Paper(1971).
- Frank-Kamenetskii, D. A., "Diffusion and Heat Transfer in Chemical Kinetises," 2nd ed., Trans by Apleton, Pleum Press, 5-36(1969).
- Kim, Y. R. and Lee, S. R., "Test Report for Wood Pellet," KOTITI Testing & Research Institute(2016).
- Korea Forest Research Institute, "Standards and Quality Standards of Wood Products," (2015).
- Lim, W. S., "A Study on the Explosion Characteristics of Hydroxy Propyl Methyl Cellulose Dust," Graduate School, Pukyong National University, 26-31(2005).
Supported by : 부경대학교