- Volume 13 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Assessment of post-earthquake serviceability for steel arch bridges with seismic dampers considering mainshock-aftershock sequences
- Li, Ran (School of Civil Engineering, Southeast University (Meijo University)) ;
- Ge, Hanbin (Department of Civil Engineering, Meijo University) ;
- Maruyama, Rikuya (Department of Civil Engineering, Meijo University)
- Received : 2016.04.04
- Accepted : 2017.08.03
- Published : 2017.08.25
This paper focuses on the post-earthquake serviceability of steel arch bridges installed with three types of seismic dampers suffered mainshock-aftershock sequences. Two post-earthquake serviceability verification methods for the steel arch bridges are compared. The energy-absorbing properties of three types of seismic dampers, including the buckling restrained brace, the shear panel damper and the shape memory alloy damper, are investigated under major earthquakes. Repeated earthquakes are applied to the steel arch bridges to examine the influence of the aftershocks to the structures with and without dampers. The relative displacement is proposed for the horizontal transverse components in such complicated structures. Results indicate that the strain-based verification method is more conservative than the displacement-base verification method in evaluating the post-earthquake serviceability of structures and the seismic performance of the retrofitted structure is significantly improved.
post-earthquake serviceability;seismic damper;steel arch bridge;displacement-based verification method;strain-based verification method;seismic performance
- Chen, X., Ge, H.B. and Usami, T. (2011), "Seismic demand of buckling-restrained braces installed in steel arch bridges under repeated earthquakes", J. Earthq. Tsunami, 5(2), 119-150. https://doi.org/10.1142/S1793431111000942
- Chen, Z.Y., Ge, H.B. and Usami, T. (2008), "Analysis and design of steel bridge structures with energy absorption members", Int. J. Adv. Steel Constr., 4(3), 173-183.
- Chen, Z.Y., Ge, H.B., Kasai, A. and Usami, T. (2007), "Simplified seismic design approach for steel portal frame piers with hysteretic dampers", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 36(4), 541-562. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.643
- Chou, C.C., Chen Y.C., Pham, D.H. and Truong, V.M. (2014), "Steel braced frames with dual-core SCBs and sandwiched BRBs: Mechanics, modeling and seismic demands", Eng. Struct., 72, 26-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2014.04.022
- Ge, H.B., Chen, X. and Matsui, N. (2011), "Seismic demand on shear panel dampers installed in steel-framed bridge pier structures", J. Earthq. Eng., 15(3), 339-361. https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2010.491892
- Ge, H.B., Kaneko, K. and Usami, T. (2010), "A study on cyclic behavior and hysteretic model of high-performance stiffened shear panel dampers", J. Struct. Eng., JSCE, 56A, 522-532. (in Japanese)
- Honjo, K., Yokoyama, K. Maehara, N., Tasaki, K. and Kawakami, M. (2009), "Seismic retrofitting study of a steel upper-deck type arch bridge", J. Struct. Eng., JSCE, 55A, 515-524. (in Japanese)
- JRA (1996), Specification for highway bridges, Part V: Seismic design, Japan Road Association, Tokyo, Japan. (in Japanese)
- JRA (2002), Specification for highway bridges, Part V: Seismic design, Japan Road Association, Tokyo, Japan. (in Japanese)
- JRA (2012), Specification for highway bridges, Part V: Seismic design, Japan Road Association, Tokyo, Japan. (in Japanese)
- JSCE (2008), Standard specifications for steel and composite structures, Seismic design, Japan Society of Civil Engineers, Tokyo, Japan. (in Japanese)
- Kaiser, A., Holden, C., Beavan, J., Beetham, D., Benites, R., Celentano, A., Collett, D., Cousins, J., Cubrinovski, M., Dellow, G., Denys, P., Fielding, E., Fry, B., Gerstenberger, M., Langridge, R., Massey, C., Motagh, M., Pondard, N., McVerry, G., Ristau, J., Stirling, M., Thomas, J., Uma, S.R. and Zhao, J. (2012), "The Mw 6.2 Christchurch earthquake of February 2011: preliminary report", NZ. J. Geol. Geophys., 55(1), 67-90. https://doi.org/10.1080/00288306.2011.641182
- Kelly, J.M., Skinner, R.I. and Heine, A.J. (1972), "Mechanisms of energy absorption in special devices for use in earthquake resistant structures", Bull. NZ. Nat'l Soc. Earthq. Eng., 5(3), 63-88.
- Kim, H.Y. and Atsumasa, O. (2005), "Surface deformations associated with the October 2004 Mid-Niigata earthquake: Description and discussion", Earth Planets Space, 57(11), 1093-1102. https://doi.org/10.1186/BF03351888
- Koike, Y., Yanaka, T., Usami, T., Ge, H.B., Oshita, S., Sagou, D. and Uno, Y. (2008), "An experimental on developing study on developing high-performance stiffened shear panel dampers", J. Struct. Eng., JSCE, 54A, 372-381. (in Japanese)
- Lew, M., Naeim, F., Huang, S.C., Lam, H.K. and Carpenter, L.D. (2000), "Geotechnical and geological effects of the 21 September 1999 Chi-Chi earthquake, Taiwan", Struct. Des. Tall Build., 9(2), 89-106. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1794(200005)9:2<89::AID-TAL146>3.0.CO;2-7
- Li, R., Ge, H.B., Usami, T. and Shu, G.P. (2016), "A strain-based post-earthquake serviceability verification method for steel frame-typed bridge piers installed with seismic dampers", J. Earthq. Eng., 21(4), 635-651.
- Li, Y., Song, R. and van de Lindt, J. (2014), "Collapse fragility of steel structures subjected to earthquake mainshock-aftershock sequences", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 140(12), 04014095-1-10. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)ST.1943-541X.0001019
- Lu, Z.H., Ge. H.B. and Usami, T. (2004), "Applicability of pushover analysis-based seismic performance evaluation procedure for steel arch bridge", Eng. Struct., 26(13), 1957-1977. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2004.07.013
- Luo, X.Q., Ge, H.B. and Usami, T. (2009), "Parametric study on damage control design of SMA dampers in frame-typed steel piers", Front. Archit. Civ. Eng., 3(4), 384-394. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11709-009-0065-7
- Morishita, K., Usami, T., Banno, T. and Takahashi, M. (2002), "Applicability on dynamic verification method for seismic design of steel structures", J. Struct. Eng., JSCE, 48A, 779-788.
- National Research Institute for Earth Science and Disaster Prevention (NIED) (2004), 2004 Mid Niigata Earthquake, http://www.hinet.bosai.go.jp/topics/niigata041023/?LANG=en&m=summary
- Pan, K.Y., Wu, A.C., Tsai, K.Y., Li, C.H., Lin P.C., Wang, K.J. and Yang, C.S. (2016), "Seismic performance of reinforced concrete frames strengthened with buckling-restrained bracing steel frames", Prog. Steel Build. Struct., 18(1), 29-36.
- Parker, M. and Steenkamp, D. (2012), "The economic impact of the Canterbury earthquakes", Reserve Bank NZ. Bull., 75(3), 13-25.
- Potter, S.H., Becker, J.S., Johnston, D.M. and Possiter, K.P. (2015), "An overview of the impacts of the 2010-2011 Canterbury earthquakes", Int. J. Disaster Risk Reduction, 14, 6-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijdrr.2015.01.014
- Skinner, R.I., Kelly, J.M. and Heine, A.J. (1975), "Hysteresis damper for earthquake-resistant structures", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 3(3), 287-296.
- Song, R., Li, Y. and van de Lindt, J. (2013), "Consideration of mainshock-aftershock sequences into performance-based seismic engineering", Structures Congress 2013, 2161-2167.
- Tsai, K.C., Wu A.C., Wei, C.Y., Lin, P.C., Chuang, M.C. and Yu Y.J. (2014), "Welded end-slot connection and debonding layers for buckling-restrained braces", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 43(12), 1785-1807. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.2423
- U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) (2011), Magnitude 9.0-near the east coast of Honshu, Japan, http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqinthenews/2011/usc0001xgp/#summary.
- Usami, T. (2002), "Fundamentals and applications for seismic design of steel bridges", (Subcommittee for Seismic Design of Steel Bridges, Task Committee of Performance-Based Seismic Design Methods for Steel Bridges, Japan Society of Steel Construction (JSSC)). (in Japanese)
- Usami, T. (2002), "Seismic performance evaluation procedures and upgrading measures for steel bridges", (Subcommittee for Seismic Design of Steel Bridges, Task Committee of Performance-Based Seismic Design Methods for Steel Bridges, Japan Society of Steel Construction (JSSC)). (in Japanese)
- Usami, T. (2006), "Seismic design guidelines for steel bridge", Japan Society of Steel Construction (JSSC).
- Usami, T. and Ge, H.B. (2009), "A performance-based seismic design methodology for bridge systems" J. Earthq. Tsunami, 3(3), 175-193. https://doi.org/10.1142/S179343110900055X
- Usami, T. and Sato, T. (2010), "Low-cycle fatigue tests and verification method for a steel buckling-restrained brace", J. Struct. Eng., JSCE, 56A, 486-498. (in Japanese)
- Usami, T., Lu, Z.H., Ge, H.B. and Kono, T. (2004), "Seismic performance evaluation of steel arch bridge against major earthquakes. Part I: Dynamic analysis approach", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 33(14), 1337-1354. https://doi.org/10.1002/eqe.407
- Usami, T., Sato, T. and Kasai, A. (2009), "Developing high-performance buckling-restrained braces", J. Struct. Eng., JSCE, 55A, 719-729. (in Japanese)
- Zheng, Y., Usami, T. and Ge, H.B. (2000), "Ductility of thin-walled steel box stub-columns", J. Struct. Eng., ASCE, 126(11), 1304-1311. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2000)126:11(1304)