- Volume 17 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Two Vector Based Direct Power Control of AC/DC Grid Connected Converters Using a Constant Switching Frequency
- Mehdi, Adel (Faculty of Technology Sciences, University Of Mentouri Brothers-Constantine) ;
- Reama, Abdellatif (Department of System Engineering, ESIEE Paris) ;
- Benalla, Hocine (Faculty of Technology Sciences, University Of Mentouri Brothers-Constantine)
- Received : 2016.06.29
- Accepted : 2017.05.23
- Published : 2017.09.20
In this paper, an improved Direct Power Control (DPC) algorithm is presented for grid connected three phase PWM rectifiers. The new DPC approach is based on two main tasks. First the optimization of the look-up table, which is well-known in conventional DPC, is outlined for selecting the optimum converter output voltage vectors. Secondly a very simple and effective method is used to directly calculate their duty cycles from the power errors. Therefore, the measured active and reactive powers are made to track their references using hysteresis controllers. Then two vectors are selected and applied during one control cycle to minimize both the active and reactive power ripples. The main advantages of this method are that there is no need of linear current controllers, coordinates transformations or modulators. In addition, the control strategy is able to operate at constant switching frequencies to ease the design of the power converter and the AC harmonic filter. The control exhibits a good steady state performance and improves the dynamic response without any overshoot in the line current. Theoretical principles of the proposed method are discussed. Both simulation and experimental results are presented to verify the performance and effectiveness of this control scheme.
Direct Power Control (DPC);Grid connected converters;Hysteresis controller;Three phase AC/DC rectifiers
- C. Schauder and H. Mehta, "Vector analysis and control of advanced static VAR compensators," IEE Proceedings C (Generation, Transmission and Distribution), Vol. 140, No. 4, pp. 299-306, Jul. 1993. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-c.1993.0044
- M. P. Kazmierkowski and L. Malesani, "Current control techniques for three phase voltage-source PWM converters: a survey," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 45, No. 5, pp. 691-703, Oct. 1998.
- I. Takahashi and T. Noguchi, "A new quick-response and high-efficiency control strategy of an induction motor," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. IA-22, No. 5, pp. 820-827, Sep. 1986. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.1986.4504799
- T. Noguchi, H. Tomiki, S. Kondo, and I. Takahashi, "Direct power control of PWM converter without power-source voltage sensors," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 34, No. 3, pp. 473-479, May/Jun. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.673716
- M. Malinowski, M. P. Kazmierkowski, S. Hansen, F. Blaabjerg, and G. D. Marques, "Virtual-flux-based direct power control of three-phase PWM rectifiers," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 37, No. 4, pp. 1019-1027, Jul./Aug. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.936392
- M. Malinowski, M. Jasinski, and M. P. Kazmierkowski, "Simple direct power control of three-phase PWM rectifier using space-vector modulation (DPC-SVM)," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 51, No. 2, pp. 447-454, Apr. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2004.825278
- H. M. Kojabadi, B. Yu, I. A. Gadoura, L. Chang, and M. Ghribi, "A novel DSP based current-controlled PWM strategy for single phase grid connected inverters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 985-993, Jul. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2006.876851
- S. A. Larrinaga, M. A. R. Vidal, E. Oyarbide, and J. R. T. Apraiz, "Predictive control strategy for DC/AC converters based on direct power control," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 54, No. 3, pp. 1261-1271, Jun. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.893162
- Z. Wang and L. Chang, "A DC voltage monitoring and control method for three-phase grid-connected wind turbine inverters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 1118-1125, May 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.921174
- A. H. Bhat and P. Agarwal, "Three-phase, power quality improvement ac/dc converters," Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 78, No. 2, pp. 276-289, Feb. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2007.02.002
- P. Cortes, J. Rodriguez, D. E. Quevedo, and C. Silva, "Predictive current control strategy with imposed load current spectrum," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 612-618, Mar. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2007.915605
- P. Antoniewicz and M. P. Kazmierkowski, "Virtual-fluxbased predictive direct power control of AC/DC converters with online inductance estimation," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 55, No. 12, pp. 4381-4390, Dec. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2008.2007519
- M. Monfared, H. Rastegar, and H. M. Kojabadi, "High performance direct instantaneous power control of PWM rectifiers," Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 51, No. 5, pp. 947-954, May 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2009.11.034
- A. Bouafia, J.-P. Gaubert, and F. Krim, "Design and implementation of predictive current control of three-phase PWM rectifier using space-vector modulation (SVM)," Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 51, No. 12, pp. 2473-2481, Dec. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2010.05.010
- S.-J. Jeong and S.-H. Song, "Improvement of predictive current control performance using online parameter estimation in phase controlled rectifier," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 22, No. 5, pp. 1820-1825, Sep. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2007.904235
- A. Bouafia, F. Krim, and J.-P. Gaubert, "Design and implementation of high performance direct power control of three-phase PWM rectifier, via fuzzy and PI controller for output voltage regulation," Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 50, No. 1, pp. 6-13, Jan. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2008.09.011
- D. Zhi, L. Xu, and B. W. Williams, "Improved direct power control of grid connected DC/AC converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 24, No. 5, pp. 1280-1292, May 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2012497
- M. Monfared and H. Rastegar, "Design and experimental verification of a dead beat power control strategy for low cost three phase PWM converters," International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, Vol. 42, No. 1, pp. 418-425, Nov. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2012.04.044
- G. Brando, A. Dannier, A. Del Pizzo, L. P. Di Noia, and I. Spina, "Quick and high performance direct power control for multilevel voltage source rectifiers," Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 121, pp. 152-169, Apr. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2014.12.008
- R. Datta and V. T. Ranganathan, "Direct power control of grid-connected wound rotor induction machine without rotor position sensors," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 16, No. 3, pp. 390-399, May. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/63.923772
- D. Zhi and L. Xu, "Direct power control of DFIG with constant switching frequency and improved transient performance," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 22, No. 1, pp. 110-118, Mar. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2006.889549
- G. Abad, M. A. Rodríguez, and J. Poza, "Predictive direct power control of the doubly fed induction machine with reduced power ripple at low constant switching frequency," in IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics (ISIE), pp. 1119-1124, Jun. 2007.
- Y. Zhang, J. Hu, and J. Zhu, "Three-vectors-based predictive direct power control of the doubly fed induction generator for wind energy applications," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 29, No. 7, pp. 3485-3500, Jul. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2282405
- A. Chaoui, F. Krim, J.-P. Gaubert, and L. Rambault, "DPC controlled three phase active filter for power quality improvement," International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, Vol. 30, No. 8, pp. 476-485, Oct. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2008.04.009
- A. Chaoui, J.-P. Gaubert, and F. Krim, "Power quality improvement using DPC controlled three-phase shunt active filter," Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 80, No. 6, pp. 657-666, Jun. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2009.10.020
- A. Djerioui, K. Aliouane, and F. Bouchafaa, "Sliding mode direct power control strategy of a power quality based on a sliding mode observer," International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, Vol. 56, pp. 325-331, Mar. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2013.10.032
- P. Cortes, J. Rodriguez, P. Antoniewicz, and M. Kazmierkowski, "Direct power control of an AFE using predictive control," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 23, No. 5, pp. 2516-2523, Sep. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.2002065
- N. Mesbahi, A. Ouari, D. O. Abdeslam, T. Djamah, and A. Omeiri, "Direct power control of shunt active filter using high selectivity filter (HSF) under distorted or unbalanced conditions," Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 108, pp. 113-123, Mar. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2013.11.006
- A. Bouafia, J.-P. Gaubert, and F. Krim, "Analysis and design of new switching table for direct power control of three-phase PWM rectifier," in 13th International Conference on Power Electronics and Motion Control, (EPE-PEMC), pp. 703-709, Sep. 2008.
- Y. Zhang and J. Zhu, "Direct torque control of permanent magnet synchronous motor with reduced torque ripple and commutation frequency," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., Vol. 26, No. 1, pp. 235-248, Jan. 2011.