- Volume 32 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Numerical Study on Temperature Prediction Bias using FDS in Simulated Thermal Environments of Fire
모사된 화재의 열적환경에서 FDS를 이용한 온도 예측오차에 관한 수치해석 연구
- Received : 2017.01.05
- Accepted : 2017.04.05
- Published : 2017.04.30
A numerical study was conducted to identify the predictive performance for the bare-bead thermocouple (TC) using FDS (Fire Dynamics Simulator) in simulated thermal environments of fire. A relative prediction bias of TC temperature calculated from reverse-radiation correction by FDS was evaluated with the comparison of previous experimental data. As a result, it was identified that the TC temperatures predicted by FDS were lower than the temperatures measured by bare-bead TC for the ranges of heat flux and gas temperature considered. The relative prediction bias of TC temperature by FDS was gradually increased with the increase in radiative heat flux and also significantly increased with the decrease in the gas temperature. Quantitatively, at the gas temperature of
temperature;bare-bead thermocouple;radiation correction;fire modeling;FDS(Fire Dynamics Simulator)
- NRC and EPRI, "Verification and Validation of Selected Fire Models for Nuclear Power Plant Applications", NUREG-1824 and EPRI 1011999, Finial Report, 2007.
- K. McGrattan, S. Hostikka, R. McDermott, J. Floyd, C. Weinschenk and K. Overholt, "Fire Dynamic Simulator Technical Reference Guide, Volume 3: Validation", NIST SP 1018-3, Sixth Edition, NIST, Gaithersburg, MD, 2015.
- E. M. Moffatt, "Methods of Minimizing Errors in the Measurement of High Temperatures in Gas", Instruments, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 122-132, 1949.
- M. V. Heitor and A. L. N. Moreira, "Thermocouples and Sample Probes for Combustion Studies", Progress in Energy and Combustion Science, Vol. 19, pp. 259-278, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1016/0360-1285(93)90017-9
- H. -S. Han, H. -S. Yun, C. -H. Hwang and S. -C. Kim, "An Experimental Study on Temperature Measurement Bias using Thermocouple in Simulated Thermal Environments of Fire", Journal of the Korean Society of Safety, submitted, 2016.
- M. Luo, "Effects of Radiation on Temperature Measurement in a Fire Environment", Journal of Fire Science, Vol. 15, pp. 443-461, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1177/073490419701500602
- L. G. Blevins and W. M. Pitts, "Modeling of bare and aspirated thermocouples in compartment fires", Fire Safety Journal, Vol. 33, pp. 239-259, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0379-7112(99)00034-X
- W. M. Pitts, E. Braun, R. D. Peacock, H. E. Mitler, E. L. Johnsson, P. A. Reneke and L. G. Blevins, "Temperature Uncertainties for Bare-Bead and Aspirated Thermocouple Measurements in Fire Environments", Thermal Measurements: The Foundation of Fire Standards, ASTM STP 1427, 2002.
- S. C. Kim and A. Hamins, "On the Temperature Measurement Bias and Time Response of an Aspirated Thermocouple in Fire Environment", Journal of Fire Science, Vol. 26, pp. 509-529, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1177/0734904108093516
- W. C. Strahle and M. Muthukrishnan, "Thermocouple Time Constant Measurement by Cross Power Spectra", AIAA Journal, Vol. 14, No. 11, pp. 1642-1644, 1976. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.7268
- S. Brohez, C. Delvosalle and G. Marlair, "A Two-Thermocouples Probe for Radiation Corrections of Measured Temperature in Compartment Fires", Fire Safety Journal, Vol. 39, pp. 399-411, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.firesaf.2004.03.002
- K. McGrattan, S. Hostikka, R. McDermott, J. Floyd, C. Weinschenk and K. Overholt, "Fire Dynamic Simulator; User's Guide", NIST SP 1019, Sixth Edition, NIST, Gaithersburg, MD, 2015.
- S. Welsh and P. Rubini, "Three-dimensional Simulation of a Fire-Resistance Furnace", In Fire Safety Science - Proceedings of the Fifth International Symposium. International Association for Fire Safety Science, pp. 1009-1020, 1997.
- G. E. Glawe, F. S. Simmons and T. M. Stickney, "Radiation and Recovery Correction and Time Constant of Several Chomel-Alumel Thermocouple Probe in High Temperature", High Velocity Gas Streams, NACA TN3766, 1953.
- H. -S. Yun, S. -Y. Mun and C. -H. Hwang, "An Experimental Study on the Applicability of Plate Thermometer in Steady and Unsteady-State Fire Conditions", Journal of Korean Institute of Fire Science and Engineering, Vol. 29, No. 5, pp. 34-41, 2015.
- K. McGrattan, S. Hostikka, R. McDermott, J. Floyd, C. Weinschenk and K. Overholt, "Fire Dynamic Simulator, Technical Reference Guide, Volume 1: Mathematical Model", NIST SP 1018-1, NIST, Gaithersburg, MD, 2015.
- Wm. F. Roeser, A. I. Dahl and G. J. Gowens, "Standard Tables for Chromel-Alumel Thermocouples", Research Paper RP767, Part of Journal of Research of the National Bureau of Standards, Vol. 14, pp. 239-246, 1935. https://doi.org/10.6028/jres.014.009
Supported by : 국민안전처