- Volume 45 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
An Empirical Study on Top Management's Leadership in Construction Quality Management Activities and Construction Quality Management Performance
최고경영자의 리더십이 건설품질경영활동과 건설품질경영성과에 관한 실증연구
- Cho, Jin-Ho (Yeungnam University Institute of Social Science)
- 조진호 (영남대학교 사회과학연구소)
- Received : 2017.05.22
- Accepted : 2017.07.31
- Published : 2017.09.30
Purpose:?The purpose of this study is to analyze the causal relationship between top management 's leadership and construction quality management activities that affect construction management performance based on construction quality management. Methods:?As its method, the causal relationship between the leadership of top management and the key management factors of construction quality management activities affecting management performance is analyzed by using the structural equation model. The construction companies used in the analysis sample conducted surveys on companies that are conducting ISO, KOSHA, OHSAS, DQC, and so on. Results:?It was revealed that top management's leadership has a great influence on management performance and all management factors of construction quality management activities. However, safety management does not affect the management performance of construction quality management activities. And top management's leadership on management performance are explained by the mediating effect of cost, time, quality and communication among management factors of construction quality management activities. Conclusion:?In the previous study, the quality management activities and the ISO - based integrated total quality management system (TQM) applied in the manufacturing or service industries were presented as empirical results. However, this study presents the results of different studies by presenting empirical study results by selecting time, cost, quality, safety and communication as key management factors of quality management activities of construction companies through reviewing and analyzing previous studies in construction field.
- Al-Sabek, Firas Mohamad. 2015."Critical factors affecting the implementation of total quality management in the construction industry in UAE." W.A of Science, Engineering and Technology, International Journal of Social, Behavioral, Educational, Economic, Business and Industrial Engineering 9(5):1509-13.
- Al-Sinan, Mazen A. 2004. TQM and the Construction Industry: Saudi Arabia: A Case Study.
- An, Min-Jae, Kim, Eui-Sik, and Yang, Keek-Young. 2008."A Study on the Effect of TQM on the Business Performance(Safety) of Constructor."J of the Korea Institute of Building Construction 8(2):89-97. https://doi.org/10.5345/JKIC.2008.8.2.089
- Atkinson, Roger. 1999."Project management: Cost, time and quality, two best guesses and a phenomenon, its time to accept other success criteria." International Journal of Project Management 17(6):337-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0263-7863(98)00069-6
- Baek, Seung-Ryong, and Kim Han-Soo. 2011."Key Characteristics of CEOs in Major Construction Firms: Based on Three Case Studies."J OF THE ARCHITECTURAL INSTITUTE OF KOREA Structure&Construction 27(1):223-230.
- Bottani, Eleonora, Luigi Monica, and Giuseppe Vignali. 2009."Safety management systems: Performance differences between adopters and non-adopters." Safety Science 47(2):155-62. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ssci.2008.05.001
- Dubey, Rameshwar, Angappa Gunasekaran, and Sadia Samar Ali. 2015."Exploring the relationship between leadership, operational practices, institutional pressures and environmental performance: A framework for green supply chain." International Journal of Production Economics 160:120-32. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpe.2014.10.001
- Fiedler, F.E. 1964."A contingency model of leadership effectiveness."Advance in experimental social psychology 1:149-190.
- Fornell, Claes, and David F. Larcker. 1981."Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error." Journal of Marketing Research:39-50.
- Gang, Ji-Sun, and Kim, Han-Soo. 2010."Evaluation of Project Manager's Leadership in Construction Projects."Construction Engineering and Management 11(1):151-159.
- Haenlein, Michael, and Andreas M. Kaplan. 2004."A beginner's guide to partial least squares analysis." Understanding Statistics 3(4):283-97. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15328031us0304_4
- Hair Jr, Joseph F., G. Tomas M. Hult, Christian Ringle, and Marko Sarstedt. 2016. A primer on partial least squares structural equation modeling (PLS-SEM)Sage Publications.
- Hambrick, D.C., & Mason, P.A. 1984."Upper echelons: The organization as a reflection of its top managers."Academy of management review 9(2):193-206. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1984.4277628
- Ioncica, Maria, Iolanda Magdalena Negoita, Eva-Cristina Petrescu, and Diana Ioncica. 2009."Using the european model of total quality management to assess the performance of organizations. case study on educational services."Amfiteatru Economic 11 (26):402-11.
- Jang, Hyung-geol, and Kim, Kwang-Soo. 2007."A Study on the Success Factors of Six Sigma Management to Improve Customer Satisfaction and Quality Level."Korean Management Consulting Review 7(3):185-204.
- Jha, KN, and KC Iyer. 2007."Commitment, coordination, competence and the iron triangle."International Journal of Project Management 25(5):527-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijproman.2006.11.009
- Kaynak, Hale. 2003."The relationship between total quality management practices and their effects on firm performance."Journal of Operations Management 21(4):405-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0272-6963(03)00004-4
- Kim, Hyuk, Song, Gwang-Suk, and Yoo, Han-Joo. 2014."A Study on the Performance of ISO 9001 Certification in the Small and Medium sized Specialty Construction Industry."JKMES 19(3):147-65.
- Kim, Ja-yeon, and Kang, In-won. 2015."Construction Company TQM Impact on the Activities Performance." Korea Safety Management & Science 17(3):319-30. https://doi.org/10.12812/ksms.2015.17.3.319
- Kim, Tae Sung. 2005."A Study of Domestic Construction Quality Management Factor Analysis: using Covariance Structure Model."Journal of Korea Safety Management & Science 7(3):29-36.
- Lambe, C. Jay, Robert E. Spekman, and Shelby D. Hunt. 2002."Alliance competence, resources, and alliance success: Conceptualization, measurement, and initial test."JAMS 30(2):141-58. https://doi.org/10.1177/03079459994399
- Lee, Dong-Hoon, Kim, Sun-Hyung, Kwi, Ki-Duk, Kim, Man-Ki, and Kim, Sun-Seok. 2011."The Management Evaluation Key Performance Indicators of Korean Construction Firms."Journal of the Korea Institute of Building Construction 11(1):35-44. https://doi.org/10.5345/JKIC.2011.02.1.035
- Lee, Jong-Kyu, and Lee, Hong-Bae. 2012."The Effect of the NPD Capability and the Strategic Position on the QM Implementation, Quality and Finance Performance."KIEA 25(3):2213-40.
- Leong, T. K., N. Zakuan, M. Z. Mat Saman, M. S. Ariff, and C. S. Tan. 2014."Using project performance to measure effectiveness of quality management system maintenance and practices in construction industry."The scientific world journal.
- Maher Altayeb, Mustafa, and Mahmoud Bashir Alhasanat. 2014."Implementing total quality management(TQM) in the palestinian construction industry."International J of Quality & Reliability Manag 31(8):878-87. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJQRM-05-2013-0085
- Mohr, Jakki J., Robert J. Fisher, and John R. Nevin. 1996."Collaborative communication in interfirm relationships: Moderating effects of integration and control."The Journal of Marketing:103-15.
- Mohr, Jakki J., and Ravipreet S. Sohi. 1996."Communication flows in distribution channels: Impact on assessments of communication quality and satisfaction." Journal of Retailing 71(4):393-415. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-4359(95)90020-9
- Mohr, Jakki, and Robert Spekman. 1994."Characteristics of partnership success: Partnership attributes, communication behavior, and conflict resolution techniques."Strategic Management J 15(2):135-52. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250150205
- Nho, Bu-Ho. 2011."CEO Leadership and Management of Excellent Companies: Examples of Hanmi Global." Sogang Journal of Business 22(2):1-37.
- Park, Moon-Seo, Kim, Nam-Ho, Lee, Hyun-Soo, Ahn, Chang-Bum, and Lee, Kyu-sung. 2009."Construction Project Performance Management Using BSC and Data Warehouse."Korean Institute Of Construction Engineering and Management 10(2):14-25.
- Pheng Low, Sui, and Hennie Faizathy Omar. 1997."The effective maintenance of quality management systems in the construction industry."International Journal of Quality & Reliability Manag 14(8):768-90. https://doi.org/10.1108/02656719710181303
- Pheng, L.S. and Teo, J.A. 2004."Implementing total quality management in construction firms."Journal of Management in Engineering 20(1):8-15. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0742-597X(2004)20:1(8)
- Prajogo, Daniel I, and Amrik S. Sohal. 2006."The relationship between organization strategy, total quality management (TQM), and organization performance the mediating role of TQM."European - Journal of Operational Research 168(1):35-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2004.03.033
- Rungtusanatham, Manus, Cipriano Forza, Roberto Filippini, and John C. Anderson. 1998."A replication study of a theory of quality management underlying the deming management method: Insights from an italian context."Journal of Operations Management 17(1):77-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0272-6963(98)00032-1
- Samson, Danny, and Mile Terziovski. 1999."The relationship between total quality management practices and operational performance."Journal of Operations Management 17(4):393-409. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0272-6963(98)00046-1
- Sang-Hoon Han, Kyu-Suk Chung, and Seung-pyo Hong. 2014. "Effect of Quality Management on the Performance: Focusing Manufacturing Companies Awarding Korean National Quality Awards."J Korean Soc Qual Manag 42(4):729-46. https://doi.org/10.7469/JKSQM.2014.42.4.729
- Saraph, Jayant V., P. George Benson, and Roger G. Schroeder. 1989."An instrument for measuring the critical factors of quality management."Decision Sciences 20(4):810-29. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1540-5915.1989.tb01421.x
- Shin, Wan-Seon, 2010."A New Leadership Paradigm for Future CEOs."JKSCE 58(3):62-64.
- Sila, Ismail, and Maling Ebrahimpour. 2005."Critical linkages among TQM factors and business results." International Journal of Operations & Production Management 25(11):1123-55. https://doi.org/10.1108/01443570510626925
- Thai Hoang, Dinh, Barbara Igel, and Tritos Laosirihongthong. 2006."The impact of total quality management on innovation: Findings from a developing country."International Journal of Quality & Reliability Management 23(9):1092-117. https://doi.org/10.1108/02656710610704230
- Yenurkar, Akshay M., and MW Wankhade. 2015."Assessment of factors affecting quality management in construction industry."IJRESTs 1(8):320-28
- Yu, Il-Han, Kim, Kyung-Rai, Jung, Young-soo, and Chin, Sang-Yoon. 2006."Analysis of Qualitied Characteristics of the Performance Indicators for Construction Companies."Journal of construction engineering and project management 7(4):154-63.
- Zhao, X., Lynch, J. G., and Chen, Q. 2010."Reconsidering Baron and Kenny: Myths and truths about mediation analysis."Journal of consumer research 37(2):197-206. https://doi.org/10.1086/651257
- Zu, Xingxing, Lawrence D. Fredendall, and Thomas J. Douglas. 2008."The evolving theory of quality management: The role of six sigma."Journal of Operations Management 26(5):630-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2008.02.001
- Youn, Inn Han, and Chang, Young Chul. 2015."Examining the Effects of Project Manager's Authentic Leadership on Field Staffs' Organizational Citizenship Behavior and Employee Engagement: Based on the Mediating Effects of Field Staffs' Perceived Organizational Support."JHRMR 22(2):65-86.