- Volume 32 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
원자력발전소 케이블 난연성능 검증 방법론 개선을 위한 연구
A Study on Validation Methodology of Fire Retardant Performance for Cables in Nuclear Power Plants
- Lee, Sang Kyu (Department of Reactor System, Korea Institute of Nuclear Safety) ;
- Moon, Young Seob (Department of Reactor System, Korea Institute of Nuclear Safety) ;
- Yoo, Seong Yeon (School of Mechanical Engineering, Chungnam National University)
- 투고 : 2017.01.04
- 심사 : 2017.01.19
- 발행 : 2017.02.28
Fire protection for nuclear power plants should be designed according to the concept of "Defense in Depth" to achieve the reactor safety shutdown. This concept focuses on fire prevention, fire suppression and safe shutdown. Fire prevention is the first line of "Defense in Depth" and the licensee should establish administrative measures to minimize the potential for fire to occur. Administrative measures should include procedures to control handling and use of combustibles. Electrical cables is the major contributor of fire loads in nuclear power plants, therefore electrical cables should be fire retardant. Electrical cables installed in nuclear power plants should pass the flame test in IEEE-383 standard in accordance with NUREG-0800, "Standard Review Plan for the Review of Safety Analysis Reports for Nuclear Power Plants". To assure the fire retardant of electrical cables during design life, both aged and unaged cable specimens should be tested in accordance with IEEE-383. It can be generally thought that the flammability of electrical cables has been increased by wearing as time passed, however the results from fire retardant tests performed in U.S.A and Korea indicate the inconsistent tendency of aging and consequential decrease in flammability. In this study, it is expected that the effective methodology for validation of fire retardant performance would be identified through the review of the results from fire retardant tests.
fire protection;Defense in Depth;electrical cables;fire retardant performance;IEEE-383
연구 과제 주관 기관 : 한국연구재단
- NUREG-0800, "Standard Review Plan for the Review of Safety Analysis Reports for Nuclear Power Plants", 2009.
- IEEE-383, "IEEE Standard for Type Test of Class 1E Electric Cables, Field Splices, and Connections for Nuclear Power Generating Stations", 1974.
- IEEE-383, "IEEE Standard for Qualifying Class 1E Electric Cables and Field Splices for Nuclear Power Generating Stations", 2003.
- IEEE-383, "IEEE Standard for Qualifying Electric Cables and Splices for Nuclear Facilities", 2015.
- IEEE-1202, "IEEE Standard for Flame Testing of Cables for Use in Cable Tray in Industrial and Commercial Occupancies", 1991.
- NUREG/CR-2868, "Aging Effects on Fire-Retardant Additives in Organic Materials for Nuclear Plant Applications", 1982.
- NUREG/CR-5619, "The Impact of Thermal Aging on the Flammability of Electric Cables", 1991.
- CSA C22.2, "Test Methods for Electrical Wires and Cables", 2005.
- NFPA 262, "Standard Method of Test for Flame Travel and Smoke of Wires and Cables for Use in Air-Handling Spaces", 2002.
- KS C IEC 60332-3-24, "Test for Vertical Flame Spread of Vertically-mounted Bunched Wires or Cables - Category C", 2013.