- Volume 32 Issue 1
The aim of this study is to develop construction safety and health management cost prediction model using support vector machine (SVM). To this end, theoretical concept of SVM is investigated to formulate the cost prediction model. Input and output variables have been selected by analyzing the balancing accounts for the completed construction project. In order to train and validate the proposed prediction model, 150 data sets have been gathered from field. Effects of SVM parameters on prediction accuracy are analyzed and from which the optimal parameter values have been determined. The prediction performance tests are conducted to confirm the applicability of the proposed model. Based on the results, it is concluded that the proposed SVM model can effectively be used to predict the construction safety and health management cost.
construction safety and health management;safety management cost estimation;support vector machine
- S. W. Oh, Y. S. Kim, S. H. Choi and J. W. Choi, "A Study on the Estimation of Occupational Safety and Health Expense Rate by Safety Environment Change in Construction Industry", Journal of Korea Institute of Construction Engineering and Management, Vol.14, Issue 4, pp. 97-107, 2013.
- K. T. Jung, "Developing Criteria for Standard Safety Management Cost", Korea Industrial Safety Corporation, pp. 51, 1997.
- K.S. Son, W.M. Gal and H.S. Yang, "A Study on the Estimating Rate of Safety Management Cost in Building Work", Journal of Korean Society of Safety, Vol.22, Issue 5, pp. 33-40, 2007.
- M. G. Lee, "The Ways to Enhance the Efficiency of the Occupational Safety and Health Expenses Operation System", Research Report, KOSHA, 2009.
- K. S. Son, "Establishing Appropriate Rate for Standard Safety and Health Management Cost", Research Report, KOSHA, 2005.
- A. Ashworth, "Cost Studies of Buildings - 3rd Edition", Harlow Longman, USA, 1999.
- G. H. Kim, S.Y. Kim and K. I. Kang, "Comparing Accuracy of Prediction Cost Estimation using Case-Based Reasoning and Neural Networks", Journal of Architectural Institute of Korea-Structure, Vol.20, Issue 5, pp.93-103, 2004.
- G. H. Kim, S. H. An and H. K. Cho, "Comparison of the Accuracy between Cost Prediction Models based on Neural Network and Genetic Algorithm", Journal of Architectural Institute of Korea-Structure, Vol.22, Issue 3, pp.111-118, 2006.
- S. H. An, U.Y. Park, K.I. Kang, M.Y. Cho and H.H. Cho, "Application of Support Vector Machines in Assessing Conceptual Cost Estimates", ASCE Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, Vol.21, Issue 4, pp.259-264, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0887-3801(2007)21:4(259)
- A. O. Elfaki, S. Alatawi and E. Abushandi, "Using Intelligent Techniques in Construction Project Cost Estimation: 10-Year Survey", Advanced in Civil Engineering, Vol.2014, Article ID 107926, 2014.
- M. Mohri, A. Rostamizade and A. Talwalkar, "Foundations of Machine Learning", MIT Press, USA, 2012.
- V. N. Vapnik, "The Nature of Statistical Learning Theory", Springer-Verlag, Germany, 1995.
- A. Smola and B. Scholkopf, "A Tutorial on Support Vector Regression", Technical Report, Royal Holloway College, UK, 1998.
- S. G. Noh, "Construction Cost Pricing", Korea Corporation Management Research Institute, 2013.
- J. S. Park, "Comparison on Support Vector Regression and Artificial Neural Network Techniques in Data Mining", Doctoral Dissertation, Dongguk University, 2006.