- Volume 19 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Relationship between brittleness index of hard rocks and TBM penetration rates
경암의 취성도와 TBM 순굴진율간의 관계
- Lee, Gi-Jun (Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST)) ;
- Kwon, Tae-Hyuk (Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (KAIST)) ;
- Kim, Kyoung-Yul (Korea Electric Power Research Institute (KEPRI)) ;
- Song, Ki-Il (Dept. of Civil Engineering, Inha University)
- Received : 2017.06.30
- Accepted : 2017.07.28
- Published : 2017.07.31
In rapid urbanization, demand for utility tunnel increases more, and tunnel boring machine (TBM) has been used widely. Prediction of TBM penetration rate is important for proper estimation of construction period and cost. Although there are several methods, such as NTNU model and CSM model that require many input parameters, fundamental understanding on correlations between rock properties and TBM penetration rate is critical. In this study, we explored the brittleness indices of hard rocks according to various definitions, and the correlations between the brittleness indices and the TBM penentration rates.
Grant : 도심지 소단면(Φ 3.5 m급) 터널식 공동구 설계 및 시공 핵심기술 개발
Supported by : 국토교통과학기술진흥원
- Acaroglu, O., Ozdemir, L., Asbury, B. (2008), "A fuzzy logic model to predict specific energy requirement for TBM performance prediction", Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, Vol. 23, No. 5, pp. 600-608. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2007.11.003
- Altindag, R. (2002), "The evaluation of rock brittleness concept on rotary blast hold drills", Journal of the Southern African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, Vol. 102, No. 1, pp. 61-66.
- Alvarez Grima, M., Bruines, P.A., Verhoef, P.N.W. (2000), "Modeling tunnel boring machine performance by neuro-fuzzy methods", Tunnelling and underground space technology, Vol. 15, No. 3, pp. 259-269. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0886-7798(00)00055-9
- Bae, G.J., Chang, S.H., Choi, S.W., Kang, T.H., Kwon, J.Y., Shin, M.S. (2015), "Refurbishment of a 3.6 m earth-pressure balanced shield TBM with a domestic cutterhead and its field verification", Journal of Korean Tunneling and Underground Space Association, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 457-471. https://doi.org/10.9711/KTAJ.2015.17.4.457
- Barla, G., Pelizza, S. (2000), "TBM tunnelling in difficult ground conditions", In ISRM International Symposium. International Society for Rock Mechanics.
- Barton, N., Lien, R., Lunde, J. (1974), "Engineering classification of rock masses for the design of tunnel support", Rock mechanics, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 189-236. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01239496
- Barton, N.R. (2000), "TBM tunnelling in jointed and faulted rock", CRC Press.
- Blindheim, O.T., Bruland, A. (1998), "Boreability testing. Norwegian TBM tunnelling 30 years of Experience with TBMs in Norwegian Tunnelling", Norwegian Soil and Rock Engineering Association, Publication 11, pp. 29-34.
- Boniface, A. (2000), "Tunnel boring machine performance in basalts of the Lesotho formation", Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 49-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0886-7798(00)00028-6
- Cano-Hurtado, J.J., Canto-Perello, J. (1999), "Sustainable development of urban underground space for utilities", Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 335-340. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0886-7798(99)00048-6
- Cho, J.W., Jeon, S., Yu, S.H., Chang, S.H. (2010), "Optimum spacing of TBM disc cutters: A numerical simulation using the three-dimensional dynamic fracturing method", Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, Vol. 25, No. 3, pp. 230-244. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2009.11.007
- Cho, S.H., Ogata, Y., Kaneko, K. (2003), "Strain-rate dependency of the dynamic tensile strength of rock", International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, Vol. 40, No. 5, pp. 763-777. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1365-1609(03)00072-8
- Clark, G.B. (1979), "Principles of rock drilling", Colorado School of Mines, Colorado, p. 91.
- Dolcini, G., Fuoco, S., Ribacchi, R. (1996), "Performance of TBMs in complex rock masses", North American Tunnelling'96, Balkema, Rotterdam, pp. 145-154.
- Dollinger, G.L., Handewith, J.H., Breeds, C.D., (1998), "Use of punch tests for estimating TBM performance", Tunneling and Underground Space Technologgy, Vol. 13, No. 14, pp. 403-408. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0886-7798(98)00083-2
- Gong, Q.M., Zhao, J. (2007), "Influence of rock brittleness on TBM penetration rate in Singapore granite", Tunnelling and underground space technology, Vol. 22, No. 3, pp. 317-324. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2006.07.004
- Hoek, E. (1988), "The Hoek-Brown failure criterion-a 1988 update", In Proc. 15th Canadian Rock Mech. Symp (pp. 31-38). Toronto, Dept. Civil Engineering, University of Toronto.
- Hoek, E., Carranza-Torres, C., Corkum, B. (2002), "Hoek-Brown failure criterion-2002 edition", Proceedings of NARMS-Tac, Vol. 1, pp. 267-273.
- Honda, H., Sanada, Y. (1956), "Hardness of coal", Fuel, Vol. 35, No. 4, pp. 451-461.
- Howarth, D.F. (1987), "The effect of pre-existing microcavities on mechanical rock performance in sedimentary and crystalline rocks", In International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences & Geomechanics Abstracts, Vol. 24, No. 4, pp. 223-233. https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-9062(87)90177-X
- Howarth, D.F., Adamson, W.R., Berndt, J.R. (1986), "Correlation of model tunnel boring and drilling machine performances with rock properties", In International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences & Geomechanics Abstracts, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 171-175. https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-9062(86)90344-X
- Hucka, V., Das, B. (1974), "Brittleness determination of rocks by different methods", In International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences & Geomechanics Abstracts, Vol. 11, No. 10, pp. 389-392. https://doi.org/10.1016/0148-9062(74)91109-7
- Hyun, K.C., Min, S.Y., Moon, J.B., Jeong, G.H., Lee, I.M. (2012), "Risk management applicable to shield TBM tunnel: 1. Risk factor analysis", Journal of Korean Tunneling and Underground Space Association, Vol. 14, No. 6, pp. 667-681. https://doi.org/10.9711/KTAJ.2012.14.6.667
- Jeong, H.Y., Jeon, S.W., Cho, J.W. (2012), "A Study on Punch Penetration Test for Performance Estimation of Tunnel Boring Machine", Journal of Korean Society for Rock Mechanics, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 144-156.
- Kahraman, S. (2002), "Correlation of TBM and drilling machine performances with rock brittleness", Engineering Geology, Vol. 65, No. 4, pp. 269-283. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0013-7952(01)00137-5
- Lama, R.D., Vutukuri, V.S. (1978), Handbook on mechanical properties of rocks-testing techniques and results-volume iii, Vol. 3, No. 2.
- Lee, S.W., Sim, Y.J., Na, G.T. (2017), "A fundamental study on the development of feasibility assessment system for utility tunnel by urban patterns", Journal of Korean Tunneling and Underground Space Association, Vol. 19, No. 1, pp. 11-27. https://doi.org/10.9711/KTAJ.2017.19.1.011
- Marinos, P.G., Novac, M.G., Blanke, J., Benissi, M.D., Rovolis, G.D. (1997), "Geological and environmental considerations for selecting an Athens Metro tunnel alignment beneath an important archaeological area", Engineering Geology and the Environment, Vol. 3, pp. 2777-2784.
- Martin, C.D., Kaiser, P.K., McCreath, D.R. (1999), "Hoek-Brown parameters for predicting the depth of brittle failure around tunnels", Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Vol. 36, No. 1, pp. 136-151. https://doi.org/10.1139/t98-072
- Nelson, P., O'Rourke, T.D., Kulhawy, F.H. (1983), "Factors affecting TBM penetration rates in sedimentary rocks", In The 24th US Symposium on Rock Mechanics (USRMS). American Rock Mechanics Association.
- Nilsen, B., Ozdemir, L. (1993), "Hard rock tunnel boring prediction and field performance", In Proceedings of the rapid excavation and tunneling conference (pp. 833-833). Society for Mining, Metallogy and Exploration, Inc.
- Protodyakonov, M.M. (1962), "Mechanical properties and drillability of rocks", In Proceedings of the 5th Symposium on Rock Mechanics, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA pp. 103-118.
- Rostami, J., Ozdemir, L. (1993), "A new model for performance prediction of hard rock TBMs", In Proceedings of the rapid excavation and tunneling conference (pp. 793-793). Society for Mining, Metallogy and Exploration, Inc.
- Sapigni, M., Berti, M., Bethaz, E., Busillo, A., Cardone, G. (2002), "TBM performance estimation using rock mass classifications", International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, Vol. 39, No. 6, pp. 771-788. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1365-1609(02)00069-2
- Sheorey, P.R. (1997), "Empirical rock failure criteria", AA Balkema.
- Szwedzicki, T., (1998), "Draft ISRM suggested method for determining the indentation hardness index of rock materials", International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Science, Vol. 35, No. 6, pp. 831-835. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-9062(97)00333-1
- Wallis, S. (1999), "WT ASIA PACIFIC FOCUS-Pinglin Revisited-This has to be one of the toughest TBM projects around-Forcing through a 12.9 km twin-tube on the Taipei-Ilan expressway in atrocious ground conditions", World Tunnelling, Vol. 12, No. 3, pp. 111-117.
- Yagiz, S. (2008). "Utilizing rock mass properties for predicting TBM performance in hard rock condition", Tunnelling and Underground Space Technology, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 326-339. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tust.2007.04.011
- Yagiz, S., (2002), "Development of rock fracture and brittleness indices to quantify the effects of rock mass features and toughness in the CSM Model basic penetration for hard rock tunneling machines". Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Mining and Earth Systems Engineering, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, Colorado, USA, p. 289.