- Volume 12 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Transient Effects of Calf Muscle Fatigue and Visual Control on Postural Balance During Single Leg Standing
- Han, Jin-Tae (Dept. of Physical Therapy, Kyungsung University)
- Received : 2017.07.17
- Accepted : 2017.07.25
- Published : 2017.08.31
PURPOSE: Muscle fatigue is a cause to change proprioception. The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of calf muscle fatigue and visual control on postural balance during single-legged standing in healthy adults. METHODS: Nineteen healthy adults (male) were participated in this study (mean age: 24.36 years; mean height: 171.32 cm; mean weight: 64.58 kg). The postural balance (sway length, sway area, sway velocity of COG displacement) was measured by Balance Trainer System (BT4) in before and after calf muscle fatigue feeling in single legged stance. In this study, repetitive single-legged heel rise test was used to induce fatigue of the calf muscle. Paired t- test was used to compare the postural balance between before and after calf muscle fatigue. Data of subjects were analyzed using SPSS 22.0 (SPSS Inc., Chicago, IL, USA). Level of significance was set to .05. RESULTS: The sway length, sway area, sway velocity of COG (center of gravity) displacement after calf muscle fatigue feeling was significantly increased compared to before calf muscle fatigue feeling during single leg standing both eye open and close conditions (p<.05). CONCLUSION: This study suggested that calf muscle fatigue feeling has affected on postural balance when standing one leg both eye open and close conditions and postural control was disturbed by muscle fatigue and visual feedback in single leg standing.
Supported by : Kyungsung University
- Adlerton AK, Moritz U, Nissen RM. Forceplate and accelerometer measures for evaluating the effect of muscle fatigue on postural control during one-legged stance. Physiother Res Inter 2003;8(4):187-99. https://doi.org/10.1002/pri.289
- Allen DG, Lamb GD, Westerblad H. Skeletal muscle fatigue: Cellular mechanisms. Physiol Rev. 2008;88(1): 287-332. https://doi.org/10.1152/physrev.00015.2007
- Boucher JA, Abboud J, Descarreaux M. The influence of acute back muscle fatigue and fatigue recovery on trunk sensorimotor control. J Manupulative Physiol Ther. 2012;35:662-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmpt.2012.10.003
- Corbeil P, Blouin JS, Begin F, et al. Perturbation of the postural control system induced by muscular fatigue. Gait Posture. 2003;18:92-100. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0966-6362(02)00198-4
- Egana M, Green S. Intensity-dependent effect of body tilt angle on calf muscle fatigue in humans. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2007;99:1-9.
- Forestier N, Teasdale N, Nougier V. Alteration of the position sense at the ankle induced by muscular fatigue in humans. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2002;34:117-22.
- Gandevia SC. Spinal and supraspinal factors in human muscle fatigue. Physiol Rev. 2001;81:1725-89. https://doi.org/10.1152/physrev.2001.81.4.1725
- Green S, Mehlsen J. Peripheral arterial disease. In: Saltin B, Boushel R, Secher N, Mitchell J (eds) Exercise and circulation in health and disease. Human Kinetics, Champaign. 1999.
- Gribble PA, Hertel J. Effect of hip and ankle muscle fatigue on unipedal postural control. J Electromyo Kinesio. 2004;14:641-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2004.05.001
- LaRoche DP, Cremin KA, Greenleaf B, et al. Rapid torque development in older female fallers and nonfallers: a comparison across lower-extremity muscles. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2010;20(3):482-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelekin.2009.08.004
- Kwon OS, Lee SW, Seo DK, et al. The effects of exercise-induced fatigue on knee joint position sense in the young, elderly adults and stroke patients. J Korean Soc Phys Med. 2013;8(4):619-25. https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2013.8.4.619
- Ledin T, Fransson PA, Magnusson M. Effects of postural disturbances with fatigued triceps surae muscles or with 20% additional body weight. Gait Posture. 2004;19:184-93. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0966-6362(03)00061-4
- Lundin TM, Feuerbach JW, Grabiner MD. Effect of plantarflexor and dorsiflexor fatigue on unilateral postural control. J Appl Biomech. 1993;9:191-201. https://doi.org/10.1123/jab.9.3.191
- Maritz CA, Silbernagel KG. A prospective cohort study on the effect of a balance training program, including calf muscle strengthening, in community-dwelling older adults. J Geriatr Phys Ther. 2016;39:125-31. https://doi.org/10.1519/JPT.0000000000000059
- Onell A. Quantifying Human Balance. Analysis of Force plate Data. Doctor's Degree. Uppsala University. 1999.
- Rougier PR. Undisturbed stance control in healthy adults is achieved differently along anteroposterior and mediolateral axes: evidence from visual feedback of various signals from center of pressure trajectories. J Mot Behav. 2009;41:197-206. https://doi.org/10.3200/JMBR.41.3.197-206
- Vuillerme N, Forestier N, Nougier V. Attentional demands and postural sway: the effect of the calf muscles fatigue. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2002;34(12):1907-12. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005768-200212000-00008
- Vuillerme N, Burdet C, Isableu B, et al. The magnitude of the effect of calf muscles fatigue on postural control during bipedal quiet standing with vision depends on the eye-visual target distance. Gait Posture 2006;24:169-72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2005.07.011
- Yaggie JA, Mcgregor SJ, Effects of isokinetic ankle fatigue on the maintenance of balance and postural limits. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2002;8:224-8.
- Yun CK, Yoo JN. The effects of visual biofeedback balance training on functional activity in children with cerebral palsy: A pilot study. J Korean Soc Phys Med. 2016;11(3):133-9. https://doi.org/10.13066/kspm.2016.11.3.133
- Zijlstra A, Mancini M, Chiari L, et al. Biofeedback for training balance and mobility tasks in older populations: a systematic review. J Neuroeng Rehabil. 2010;7:58. https://doi.org/10.1186/1743-0003-7-58