- Volume 31 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Comparison Analysis for Using the Habitat Pattern Between the Korean Endangered Species, Mauremys reevesii, and the Exotic Species, Trachemys scripta elegans
한국산 남생이와 외래종 붉은귀거북의 서식지 이용 패턴 비교 분석
- Jo, Shin-il (Seoul Grand Park) ;
- Na, Sumi (Dept. of Division of Life & Environmental, Seoul Women's Univ.) ;
- An, Chi-Kyung (Login) ;
- Kim, Hyun-jung (Dept. of Division of Life & Environmental, Seoul Women's Univ.) ;
- Jeong, Yu-Jeong (Seoul Grand Park) ;
- Lim, Yang-Mook (Seoul Grand Park) ;
- Kim, Seon Du (National Park Research Institute) ;
- Song, Jae Yong (National Park Research Institute) ;
- Yi, Hoonbok (Dept. of Division of Life & Environmental, Seoul Women's Univ.)
- 조신일 (서울대공원) ;
- 나수미 (서울여자대학교 대학원 생명환경공학과) ;
- 안치경 (녹인) ;
- 김현정 (서울여자대학교 대학원 생명환경공학과) ;
- 정유정 (서울대공원) ;
- 임양묵 (서울대공원) ;
- 김선두 (국립공원관리공단) ;
- 송재영 (국립공원관리공단) ;
- 이훈복 (서울여자대학교 대학원 생명환경공학과)
- Received : 2017.05.12
- Accepted : 2017.07.24
- Published : 2017.08.31
The purpose of this study is to identify the home range and habitat using pattern of the native species, Mauremys reevesii, and the exotic species, Trachemys scripta elegans, and to analyze the mutual competition relationship of the two species. This study was conducted at the Goldfish square pond, which is located in the upper part of the valley of Cheonggye mountain from August 2, 2010 to January 30, 2011. We used the three artificially proliferating M. reevesii and three T. scripta elegans which were inhabited in the ponds and reservoirs for monitoring study after attaching the transmitter to each of them. We measured the home range and the habitat utilization radius of three individuals of each species and the environmental factors such as temperature, humidity and soil and water temperature around the Goldfish square pond. As our results, it was analyzed that the M. reevesii and T. scripta elegans have a redundant ecological positions in various aspects such as limited sunbathing places, food resource utilization, hibernation place, etc. We also found that the relatively small M. reevesii was being pushed out of the competition by the relatively big. Further investigation of food competition and habitat utilization should be necessary for these two species for the natural habitats, their home range, food competition, and habitat utilization. The result of this study will be the basic data M. reevesii's restoration project.
Supported by : 서울여자대학교
- Bang, S.W. and S.Y. An(2005) Development of Red List Categories and Criteria for the Protection of Endangered Species in Korea. Korea Environment Institute research paper, korea, pp. 1-359.
- Gibbon, J.W., Scott, D.E., Ryan, T.J., Buhlmann, K.A., Tuberville, T.D., Metts, B.S. and C.T. Winne(2000) The Global Decline of Reptiles, Deja Vu Amphibians: Reptile species are declining on a global scale. Six significant threats to reptile populations are habitat loss and degradation, introduced invasive species, environmental pollution, disease, unsustainable use, and global climate change. BioScience 50(8): 653-666. https://doi.org/10.1641/0006-3568(2000)050[0653:TGDORD]2.0.CO;2
- Houlahan, J.E., Findlay, C.S., Schmidt, B.R., Meyer, A.H. and S.L. Kuzmin(2000) Quantitative evidence for global amphibian population declines. Nature 404(6779): 752-755. https://doi.org/10.1038/35008052
- Hynes, H.B.N.(1970) The Ecology of Running Waters. University of Toronto Press, Canada, 442pp.
- IUCN(2002). Proceedings of the IUCN CBSG/WAZA Workshop on Amphibian Ex Situ Conservation Planning. El Valle, Panama, IUCN.
- Kernohan, B.J.(2001) Analysis of animal space use and movements. Radio tracking and animal populations, pp.125-166.
- Kim, J.B. and J.Y. Song(2010) Amphibian and Reptiles in Korea. World science, korea.
- Koo, K.S., Chang, M.H. and J.Y. Song(2012) A Homerange Study on the Reeve's Pond Turtle (Chinemys reevesii) in the river environment. The Korean Research Society of Herpetologists, korea, pp. 10.
- Korean Association for Conservation of Nature(2001) A Study on the Designation Status and Improvement Plan of Endangered Wildlife and Protected Wildlife. Korean Association for Conservation of Nature, korea, pp. 10.
- Lee, G.C. and U.S. Lee(2001) Study on implementation system of biodiversity management contract. Korea Rural Economic Institute, korea, 179pp.
- Lee, S.D.(1998) Protection of endangered wild animal and plants. Korea Environment Institute, korea.
- Mech, L.D.(1980) Handbook of Animal Radio-Tracking. Minnesota University.
- Ministry of Environment(2005) Basic plan for the protection of wild animal and plants. Ministry of Environment, korea, pp. 183.
Ministry of Environment(2006) Endangered Wild animal
$\bullet$Plant Propagation $\bullet$Restoration Comprehensive Plan. Ministry of Environment, korea, pp. 154.
- Ministry of Environment(2010) Master Plan for Biological Resource Conservation Management and Utilization. Ministry of Environment, korea.
- Ministry of Environment(2011) Establishment of standards for management of endangered wild animal and plants and publication of the red list. Ministry of Environment, korea, pp. 228.
- NAtional institute of biological resources(2011) Red Data Book of Endangered Amphibian, Reptile in Korea. National institute of biological resources, korea.
- Pimm, S. L., Russell, G. J., Gittleman, J. L., and T. M. Brooks(1995) The future of biodiversity. Science 269(5222): 347-350. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.269.5222.347
- Rosenberg, D.M. and V.H. Resh(1993) Freshwater Biomonitoring and Benthic Macroinvertebrates. Chapman & Hall, New York, pp. 488.
- Sin, H.C.(2009). Conservation Biology of Korea. World science, korea, pp. 267.
- Won, D.H., Kwon S.J., and Y.C. Jeon(2005)Aquatic insects of korea. Korea National Park Service Korea National Park Service Researcher Ecosystem Survey Team, korea, pp. 410.
- Yoon, I.B.(1995) Search for aquatic insects. Junghaengsa. korea, pp. 262.