- Volume 37 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Quality Characteristics of Tteokgalbi with Black Rice Bran and Organic Acid to Substitute Synthetic Caramel Colorant
- Kim, Tae-Kyung ;
- Hong, Seung-Hee ;
- Ku, Su-Kyung ;
- Kim, Young-Boong ;
- Jeon, Ki-Hong ;
- Choi, Hee-Don ;
- Park, Jong-Dae ;
- Park, Kwoan-Sik ;
- Choi, Yun-Sang
- Received : 2017.06.07
- Accepted : 2017.07.25
- Published : 2017.08.31
This study aimed to evaluate the quality characteristics of Tteokgalbi with 1% (w/w) black rice bran only (T1), or with black rice bran and one of the following four types of organic acid: ascorbic acid (T2), citric acid (T3), tartaric acid (T4), or maleic acid (T5) as a substitute for caramel colorant. Tteokgalbi with only black rice bran showed the highest (p<0.05) values of moisture content and water holding capacity (WHC), while there were no significant differences in protein content, fat content, ash content, and thiobarbituric acid reactive substance (TBARS) values in treatments and controls (p>0.05). All the treated samples with any one of the four organic acids showed lower pH than controls (p<0.05). The lightness and redness of Tteokgalbi treated with any one of the four organic acids and black rice bran were higher than those of T1. The volatile basic nitrogen (VBN) values of T4 and T5 were higher than those of the other treatments (p<0.05). With regards to sensory characteristics, T1 and T2 showed overall acceptability similar to that of the controls (p>0.05). The results reported in this study show that Tteokgalbi with black rice bran and any one of the four organic acids listed above not only improved quality characteristics in cooking loss, WHC, lipid oxidation but also could successfully replace the synthetic caramel colorant. Overall, the most satisfactory results were obtained by adding black rice bran and ascorbic acid.
Tteokgalbi;black rice bran;organic acid;ascorbic acid;caramel colorant
- Aktaş, N., Aksu, M., and Kaya, M. (2003) The effect of organic acid marination on tenderness, cooking loss and bound water content of beef. J. Muscle Foods 14, 181-194. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-4573.2003.tb00699.x
- Bae, S. O. and Chung, D. O. (2015) Quality characteristics of tea-bags processed with black rice and black rice bran. Korean Tea Soc. 21, 85-90.
- Bassa, L. A. and Francis, F. J. (1987) Stability of anthocyanins from sweet potatoes in a model beverage. J. Food Sci. 52, 1753-1754. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1987.tb05927.x
- Bourne, M. C., Kenny, J. F., and Barnard, J. (1979) Computer-assisted readout of data from texture profile analysis curves. J. Texture Stud. 9, 481-494.
- Choi, Y. S., Choi, J. H., Han, D. J., Kim, H. Y., Lee, M. A., Kim, H. W., Jeong, J. Y., Paik, H. D., and Kim, C. J. (2008) Effect of adding levels of rice bran fiber on the quality characteristics of ground pork meat product. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 28, 319-326. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2008.28.3.319
- Choi, Y. S., Jeong, J. Y., Choi, J. H., Han, D. J., Kim, H. Y., Lee, M. A., Paik, H. D., and Kim, C. J. (2007) Effect of packaging methods on the quality properties of stick type restructured jerky. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 27, 290-298. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2007.27.3.290
- Chung, Y. A. and Lee, J. K. (2003) Antioxidative properties of phenolic compounds extracted from black rice. J. Korean Soc. Hortic. Sci. 32, 948-951.
- Garrote, G. L., Abraham, A. G., and De Antoni, G. L. (2000) Inhibitory power of kefir: the role of organic acids. J. Food Protect. 63, 364-369. https://doi.org/10.4315/0362-028X-63.3.364
- Grau, R. and Hamm, R. (1953) Eine einfache methode zur bestimmung der wasserbindung im muskel. Naturwissenschaften 40, 29-30. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00595734
- Hwang, E. S. and Ki, K. N. (2013) Stability of the anthocyanin pigment extracted from aronia (Aronia melancocarpa). Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 45, 416-421. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2013.45.4.416
- Im, J. S. and Lee, Y. T. (2010) Quality characteristics of rice bread substituted with black rice flour. J. East Asian Soc. Diet. Life. 20, 903-908.
- Jang, S. M., Lim, J. S., and Cho, E. J. (2004) The effect of various cereal flours on quality and storage characteristics of sausage. J. East Asian Soc. Diet. Life. 14, 265-274.
- Joo, S. Y. and Choi, H. Y. (2012) Antioxidant activity and quality characteristics of black rice bran cookies. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 41, 182-191. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2012.41.2.182
- Kang, S. N., Jang, A., Lee, S. O., Min, J. S., and Lee, M. (2002) Effect of organic acid on value of VBN, TBARS, color and sensory property of pork meat. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 44, 443-452. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2002.44.4.443
- Kemp, J. D., Langlois, B. E., Akers, K., and Aaron, D. K. (1989) Effect of storage temperature, time, and method of slicing on microbial population and white film development in vacuum packaged, dry-cured ham slices. J. Food Sci. 54, 871-873. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1989.tb07902.x
- Kim, D. H. and Hahn, Y. S. (2003) Effect of addition of ethanol and organic acids on the quality of Mul-kimchi. J. East Asian Soc. Diet. Life. 13, 305-311.
- Kim, H. J., Wee, J. H., and Yang, E. J. (2015) Optimal conditions for anthocyanin extraction from black rice bran and storage stability of anthocyanin extract. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 44, 1543-1549. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2015.44.10.1543
- Kim, J. W., Cheon, Y. H., Jang, A. R., Min, J. S., Lee, S. O., and Lee, M. (2002) Determination of physico-chemical properties and quality attributes of Hanwoo beef with grade and sex. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 44, 599-606. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2002.44.5.599
- Kim, S. G. (2012) Development of caramel coloring alternative using enzymatic browning reaction. Master thesis, Kookmin University, Seoul, Korea.
- Kim, T. R., Kim, S. U., Shin, Y., Kim, J. Y., Lee, S. M., and Kim, J. H. (2013) Determination of 4-methylimidazole and 2-acetyl-4 (5)-tetrahydroxybutylimidazole in caramel color and processed foods by LC-MS/MS. Prev. Nutr. Food Sci. 18, 263-268. https://doi.org/10.3746/pnf.2013.18.4.263
- Lee, S. M. (2016) Analysis and risk assessment of carcinogenic 4 (5)-methylimidazole in brown colored foods and reduction study in soy sauce model system. Master thesis, Dongguk University, Seoul, Korea.
- Mani-Lopez, E., Garcia, H. S., and Lopez-Malo, A. (2012) Organic acids as antimicrobials to control Salmonella in meat and poultry products. Food Res. Int. 45, 713-721. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2011.04.043
- Markakis, P. and Jurd, L. (1974) Anthocyanins and their stability in foods. Crit. Rev. Food Sci. Nutr. 4, 437-456.
- Miller, A., Ackerman, S., and Palumbo, S. (1980) Effects of frozen storage on functionality of meat for processing. J. Food Sci. 45, 1466-1471. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1980.tb07541.x
- Oh, S. H., Choi, K. J., Kim, S. Y., Seo, W. D., Han, S. I., Cho, J. H., Song, Y. C., Nam, M. H., Lee, C. K., and Woo, S. H. (2015) Variation of functional materials and antioxidant activity as affected by cultivation environment in pigmented rice varieties. Korean J. Crop Sci. 60, 153-166. https://doi.org/10.7740/kjcs.2015.60.2.153
- Park, G. L., Suk, H. J., and Kim, Y. S. (2012) Development of a color flavor scale, a database of gustative experience through color with a focus on a Korean college students. J. Korean Soc. Design Sci. 25, 15-22.
- Park, S. H. and Lee, J. H. (2005) The correlation of physicochemical characteristics of Kimchi with sourness and overall acceptability. Korean J. Food Cookery Sci. 21, 103-109.
- Park, S. Y. and Kim, H. Y. (2016) Effects of black rice powder concentration on quality properties of pork restructured jerky. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 48, 474-478. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2016.48.5.474
- Pearson, D. (1968) Application of chemical methods for the assessment of beef quality. II. Methods related to protein breakdown. J. Sci. Food Agric. 19, 366-369. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740190703
- Seol, K. H., Kim, H. W., Jang, O. K., Oh, M. H., Park, B. Y., and Ham, J. S. (2012) Effect of organic acid and water washing on meat quality and surface population of E. coli of pork loin. Korean J. Agric. Sci. 39, 569-575. https://doi.org/10.7744/cnujas.2012.39.4.569
- Tarladgis, B. G., Watts, B. M., Younathan, M. T., and Dugan, L. (1960) A distillation method for the quantitative determination of malonaldehyde in rancid foods. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 37, 44-48. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02630824
- Turner, E. W., Paynter, W. D., Montie, E. J., Bessert, M. W., Struck, G. M., and Olson, F. C. (1954) Use of the 2-thiobarbituric acid reagent to measure rancidity in frozen pork. Food Technol. 8, 326-330.
- Weiss, H. D. and Reynolds, R. G. (1988) Meat acidulant. US Patent 4,772,477.
- Yoon, J. M., Cho, M. H., Hahn, T. R., Paik, Y. S., and Yoon, H. H. (1997) Physicochemical stability of anthocyanins from a Korean pigmented rice variety as natural food colorants. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 29, 211-217.
- Kimchi extracts as inhibitors of colour deterioration and lipid oxidation in raw ground pork meat during refrigerated storage pp.00225142, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.9441
Supported by : Korea Food Research Institute (KFRI), Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs