- Volume 37 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Nutritional Composition in Bone Extracts from Jeju Crossbred Horses at Different Slaughter Ages
- Kim, Hee-Jin ;
- Kim, Dongwook ;
- Chae, Hyun-Seok ;
- Kim, Nam-Young ;
- Jang, Aera
- Received : 2017.01.11
- Accepted : 2017.06.14
- Published : 2017.08.31
The effects of slaughter age (28, 32, or 38 mon) on the proximate composition, collagen content, fatty acid composition, amino acid content, and mineral contents of horse leg bone (femur and tibia) extracts (HLBE) obtained from Jeju crossbred horses (n=14) in Korea. HLBE was extracted for 24 h with boiling water. At those ages, the respective proximate compositions of the HLBE were found as follows: 5.20-6.42% crude protein; fat 0.61-1.65% crude; and 0.10-0.22% crude ash. At 32 and 38 mon, the HLBE showed higher levels of both crude protein and collagen than at 28 mon. The major fatty acids of the horse leg bone extract powder (HLBP) were palmitic acid and oleic acid. Palmitoleic acid and the essential fatty acids were higher in the HLBP at 38 mon compared to that at 28 mon. Nearly all the amino acids were found at higher levels in the HLBP at 38 mon than at 28 mon, except histidine. The P, K, Zn, Se and Fe contents in the HLBP increased significantly with age. These results suggest that some nutrients in the HLBE increase with age, and that extracts from horses older than 32 mon would be more nutritious for human consumers.
horse;leg bone;bone extract;nutritional composition;collagen content
- AOAC. (1997) Official methods of analysis. 16th ed., Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, VA, USA.
- Aristoy, M. C. and Toldra, F. (1991) Deproteinization techniques for HPLC amino acid analysis in fresh pork muscle and dry cured ham. J. Agri. Food Chem. 39, 1792-1795. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf00010a020
- Cabrera, M. C., Saadoun, A. A., and Brito, G. (2010) Selenium, copper, zinc, iron and manganese content of seven meat cuts from Hereford and Braford steers fed pasture in Uruguay. Meat Sci. 84, 518-528. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2009.10.007
- Chalamaiah, M., Dineshkumar, B., Hemalatha, R., and Jyothirmayi, T. (2012) Fish protein hydrolysates: Proximate composition, amino acid composition, antioxidant activities and applications: A review. Food Chem. 135, 3020-3038. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2012.06.100
- Duerr, P. E. and Earle, M. D. (1974) The extraction of beef bones with water, dilute sodium hydroxide and dilute potassium chloride. J. Sci. Food Agri. 25, 121-128. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740250203
- FAO (Food and agriculture organization). (2010) Top production - meat ingredients, horse. Available from: http://faostat.fao.org/site/339/default.aspx
- Golan, I. A. and Jelen, P. (1979) Nutritional evaluation of low temperature alkaline extracts from beef bones. J. Food Sci. 44, 332-338. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1979.tb03782.x
- Ha, S. O., Park, I. H., Lee, Y. S., Kim, J. K., Chung, S. Y., and Choi, Y. L. (2008) Nutritional characteristics of water extract from kangaroo tail. J. Life Sci. 18, 958-962. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2008.18.7.958
- He, M. L., Ishikawa, S., and Hidari, H. (2005) Fatty acid profiles of various muscles and adipose tissues from fattening horses in comparison with beef cattle and pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 18, 1655-1667.
- Hsu, J. M. and Davis, R. L. (1981) Handbook of geriatric nutrition. Principles and applications for nutrition and diet in aging. Noyes Publications. Australia. pp. 219-249.
- Jonsson, U., Ranta, H., and Strömberg, L. (1985) Growth changes of collagen cross-linking, calcium, and water content in bone. Arch. Orthop. Trauma. Surg. 104, 89-93. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00454244
- Kamara, M. T., Zhu, K., Amadou, I., Tarawalie, F., and Zhou, H. (2009) Functionality, in vitro digestibility and physicochemical properties of two varieties of defatted foxtail millet protein concentrates. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 10, 5224-5238. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms10125224
- Kim, D. W., Kim, H. J., Chae, H. S., Park, N. G., Kim, Y. B., and Jang, A. (2014) Anti-oxidation and anti-wrinkling effects of Jeju horse leg bone hydrolysates. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 34, 844-851. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2014.34.6.844
- Kim, J. H., Park, B. Y., Cho, S. H., Yoo, Y. M., Chae, H. S., Kim, H. K., and Lee, J. M. (2002) Comparison of physico-chemical, sensory and nutritional characteristics for water extract from bull's bones of different breed. Korean J. Food Sci. An. 22, 358-362.
- Kolar, K. (1990) Colorimetric determination of hydroxyproline as measure of collagen content in meat and products: NMKL collaborative study. Anal. Chem. 73, 55.
- Kwon, E., Ryu, D., and Surh, J. (2013) Quality characteristics of onions applied with methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) during cultivation. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 45, 213-220. https://doi.org/10.9721/KJFST.2013.45.2.213
- Lee, C. E., Seong, P. N., Oh, W. Y., Ko, M. S., Kim, K. I., and Jeong, J. H. (2007) Nutritional characteristics of horsemeat in comparison with those of beef and pork. Nutr. Res. Pract. 1, 70-73. https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2007.1.1.70
- Lee, S. N., Choi, H., Son, J. B., Jeong, J. S., Kim, Y. J., Kang, D. P., Park, S. Y., Kang, S. C., and Leem, K. H. (2009) Effects of horse bone powder extract on longitudinal bone growth in adolescent male rats. Korea J. Herbol. 24, 69-77.
- Li, F., Jia, D., and Yao, K. (2009) Amino acid composition and functional properties of collagen polypeptide from Yak (Bos grunniens) bone. LWT-Food Sci. Technol. 42, 945-949. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2008.12.005
- Lorenzo, J. M., Sarries, M. V., Tateo, A., Polidori, P., Franco, D., and Lanza, M. (2014) Carcass characteristics, meat quality and nutritional value of horsemeat: A review. Meat Sci. 96, 1478-1488. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2013.12.006
- Melton, S. L., Amiri, M., Davis, G. W., and Backus, W. R. (1982) Flavor and chemical characteristics of ground beef from grass-, forage-grain- and grain-finished steers. J. Anim. Sci. 55, 77-87. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1982.55177x
- Ni Raghallaigh, S., Bender, K., Lacey, N., Brennan, L., and Powell, F. C. (2012) The fatty acid profile of the skin surface lipid layer in papulopustular rosacea. Br. J. Dermatol. 166, 279-287. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2133.2011.10662.x
- Park, B. S., Yoo, S. H., Park, W. M., and Yoo, I. J. (1994) Comparison of physicochemical characteristics among Hanwoo, Holstein and imported oxtail soup. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 14, 211-216.
- Park, D. Y. (1986) Minerals, total nitrogen and free amino acid contents in shank bone stock according to boiling time. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 15, 243-248.
- Reid, I. R. and Ibbertson, H. K. (1986) Calcium supplementsin the prevention of steroid-induced osteoporosis. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 44, 287-290. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/44.2.287
- Seong, P. N., Park, K. M., Kang, G. H., Cho, S. H., Park, B. Y., Chae, H. S., and Ba, H. V. (2016) The differences in chemical composition, physical quality traits and nutritional values of horse meat as affected by various retail cut types. Asian Australas. J. Anim. Sci. 29, 89-99.
- Shetty, K. (2004) Role of proline-linked pentose phosphate pathway in biosynthesis of plant phenolics for functional food and environmental applications: A review. Process Biochem. 39, 789-803. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0032-9592(03)00088-8
- Syad, A. N., Shunmugiah, K. P., and Kasi, P. D. (2013) Seaweeds as nutritional supplements: Analysis of nutritional profile, physicochemical properties and proximate composition of G. acerosa and S. wightii. Biomed. Prev. Nutr. 3, 139-144. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bionut.2012.12.002
- U.S. EPA. (1999) U.S. EPA standard determination of metals in ambient particulate matter using inductively coupled plasma/mass spectrometry.
- Van Weeren, P. R., Brama, P. A. J., and Barneveld, A. (2000) Exercise at young age may influence the final quality of the equine musculoskeletal system. Proceedings. 46, 29-35.
- Wille, J. J. and Kydonieus, A. (2003) Palmitoleic acid isomer (C16:1delta6) in human skin sebum is effective against gram-positive bacteria. Skin Pharmacol. Physiol. 16,176-187. https://doi.org/10.1159/000069757
Grant : Human Resource Development for Next Generation Animal Life Industry with ICT-Big Data
Supported by : Rural Development Administration, Ministry of Education and Human Resources Development