- Volume 36 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Comparison of Breast Measurement Ratios Before and After Breast Augmentation Using Photogrammetric Ratio Measurements (PRM)
- Yi, Kyong-Hwa (Department of Clothing and Textiles, The Catholic University) ;
- Sohn, Boo-Hyun (Department of Fashion Design Information, Chungbuk National University)
- Received : 2017.05.15
- Accepted : 2017.06.22
- Published : 2017.08.31
Objective: The purpose of this study was to determine breast shape and ratio of breast enlargement women prior to development of breast enlargement patient's bra. Background: Although there are many previous studies on women's breast that did not undergo breast augmentation surgery, no studies have examined the breast type and proportion of women with breast augmentation. Method: In this study, we analyzed ratios and angles with photographs taken before and after breast augmentation on the frontal and lateral views of the breast, UPF and projection were analyzed too. We also compared the pre-operative and post-operative rates with those of previous breast studies, as well as the post-operative breast types for the desirable breast types. Results: The length and width of the breast base and the height of the breast projection increased after the operation. The rate of increase in width is larger than the vertical distance in the breast base, and the rate of increase in height of the projection is larger than the increase in the width. Specifically, in the vertical distance, the rate of increase in the lower portion is larger than that in the upper portion. In the width, the rate of increase on the inside is larger than that on the outside. Conclusion: The angles of the static relationship with the projection increased and the angles of the minor relation decreased. The changes in the size of the breast were visually observed in the overlapping of the triangle shape before and after the surgery. The changes were composed of the line connecting the angle and the measurement points. The pre-operative upper pole fullness (UPF) was mostly 0 and - 1, but after the surgery, +1, 0, -1, +2 were distributed, while post-operative levels of projection were distributed in the order of level 3> level 1> level 2. In comparison with the desirable breast type, it was found that the anatomical type was a more natural breast type than the round type of implant. Application: These results can be useful as basic data for the breast analysis of breast enlargement patients and their bra patterns.
- Beautiful breasts, Which breast size is beautiful?. http://m.health.chosun.com/column/column_view.jsp?idx=1147 (retrieved June 20, 2016).
- Breast Implant Profiles: How To Choose. http://www.justbreastimplants.com/article/breast-implant-size/breast-implant-profiles (retrieved September 1, 2016).
- Choi, H.O., Development of Dress Brassiere for Small Breasted Women. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, The Catholic University of Korea Press, Seoul, 2017.
- Graf, R., Biggs, T.M. and Steely, R.L., A Technique for Better Upper Pole Fullness Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, 24(5), 348-352, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002660010057
- High Profile Breast Implants - Projection Types. http://www.docshop.com/education/cosmetic/breast/implants/projection (retrieved November 10, 2015.
- Hwang, K., Park, J.H., Kim, M.J. and Kim, D.J., Desired location and shape of Korean women's breasts; Anthropometric analysis of awarded portraits and torsos of 1990-2000, Journal of the Korean Physical Anthropology, 18(2), 89-94, 2005. https://doi.org/10.11637/kjpa.2005.18.2.89
- Melvyn, W., Anthropomorphic breast measurement; protocol and results in 50 women with aesthetically perfect breasts and clinical application, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 100(2), 468-479, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006534-199708000-00032
- Scott, L.S., Erwin, J.B. and Mark, L.V., Breast augmentation, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 114(5), 73-81, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.PRS.0000124406.17493.53
- Smith, D.J. Jr., Palin, W.E. Jr., Katch, V.L. and Bennett, J.E., Breast volume and anthropomorphic measurements: Normal values, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 78(3), 331-335, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1097/00006534-198609000-00008
- Sohn, B.H. and Kweon, S.A., Study on desirable breast type of women in their twenties based on the ratio of breast in works of art and cup design according to breast type. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 37(3), 280-291, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2013.37.3.280
- Yi, K.H., Han, C.H. and Song, H.M., A fundamental study on developing functional brassieres for augmentation mammaplasty patients. Proceedings of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, Fall Conference, Korea, 258, 2016.
- Yoo, H.S., Yoo, M.A., Kim, S.M., Ahn, M.S. and Park, W.S., Usefulness of Breast Ultrasound Exams to Breast Implanted Patient, Journal of Korean Scholars Marketing Science, 3(1), 1-8, 2012.