- Volume 23 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study of Subjectivity among Nursing Students Regarding Suicide Attempters
자살시도자에 대한 간호대학생의 주관성 연구
- Cho, Jeong Lim (Department of Nursing, Kaya University) ;
- Lee, Eun Nam (Department of Nursing, Dong-A University) ;
- Park, Eun Young (Department of Nursing, Daedong College)
- Received : 2017.06.19
- Accepted : 2017.08.18
- Published : 2017.08.31
Purpose: To identify the types and characteristics of subjective structures among nursing students toward individuals who attempt suicide. Methods: A group of 32 third- and fourth-year nursing students with experience in clinical practice rated 35 Q-statements on a nine-point scale according to their opinion. Data analysis was conducted using the PC-Quanl program. Results: Subjectivity among nursing students toward individuals who attempt suicide was analyzed for three types. Type 1 (social responsibility emphasis) subjectivity recognizes the social responsibility for suicide attempts and emphasizes the importance of social support systems as a preventive effort. Type 2 (rational reprimand) subjectivity emphasizes the willpower and effort to overcome challenges in life, because happiness and unhappiness are dependent on one's thoughts and will. Type 3 (situation acceptance) subjectivity regards the suicide attempt as an optional means to avoid a deeply strenuous, painful, and difficult situation. Conclusion: This study investigated the subjectivity of nursing students toward individuals who attempt suicide and to provide a better understanding of them. In addition, the development of training programs that take advantage of the subjective characteristics of individuals based on subjectivity types demonstrated in this study is expected to provide nursing students with useful educational materials for their future careers as nurses.
Supported by : 동아대학교
- Akhtar-Danesh, N., Baumann, A., & Cordingley, L. (2008). Q-Methodology in nursing research: A promising method for the study of subjectivity. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 30(6), 759-773. https://doi.org/10.1177/0193945907312979
- Beautrais, A. L., Larkin, G. L., Fergusson, D. M., Horwood, L. J., & Mulder, R. T. (2012). Mortality and non-fatal suicidal behaviour in the 20 years after a medically serious suicide attempt. Injury Prevention, 18(Suppl 1), A33-A33. https://doi.org/10.1136/injuryprev-2012-040580a.6
- Bohan, F., & Doyle, L. (2008). Nurses' experiences of patient suicide and suicide attempts in an acute unit. Mental Health Practice, 11(5), 12-16. https://doi.org/10.7748/mhp2008.02.11.5.12.c6338
- Carmona-Navarro, M. C., & Pichardo-Martinez, M. C. (2012). Attitudes of nursing professionals towards suicidal behavior: Influence of emotional intelligence. Revista Latino-Americana de Enfermagem, 20(6), 1161-1168. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0104-11692012000600019
- Chin, E. Y., & Kim, H. K. (2016). Life experience following suicide attempt among middle-aged men. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 46(2), 215-225. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2016.46.2.215
- Choi, H. J., Lee, J. H., Jung, H. K., & Kwon, S. B. (2011). Types of attitude toward suicide in high school students: A Q-methodology approach. Journal of Korean Society of Public Health Nursing, 25(2), 276-288.
- Choi, M. K., & Seo, J. M. (2011). Attitudes of adolescents toward suicide: Q-methodological approach. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 41(4), 539-549. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2011.41.4.539
- Christiansen, E., & Jensen, B. F. (2007). Risk of repetition of suicide attempt, suicide or all deaths after an episode of attempted suicide: A register-based survival analysis. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, 41(3), 257-265. https://doi.org/10.1080/00048670601172749
- Howson, M. A., Yates, K. M., & Hatcher, S. (2008). Re-presentation and suicide rates in emergency department patients who self-harm. Emergency Medicine Australasia, 20(4), 322-327. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1742-6723.2008.01104.x
- Jin, H. K. (2013). Attitude and nursing performance of emergency room nurses towards attempted suicide patients. Unpublished master's thesis, The Kyungpook National University, Daegu.
- Jo, K. H., & Lee, H. J. (2006). Attitudes of elderly koreans toward suicide: A Q-methodological approach. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 36(6), 905-916. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2006.36.6.905
- Kim, H. K. (2008). Q methodology: Philosophy, theories, analysis, and application. Seoul: Communication Books.
- Kim, J. M. (2015). Attitude toward Suicide Attempter and Emotional Intelligence in Nurses. Unpublished master's thesis, The Dong-A University, Busan.
- Kim, M. O., Cho, H. D., Bong, E. K., Son, Y. J., & Park, Y. S. (2013). ICU nurses' work experience for attempted suicide patient by drug ingestion: A focus group study. Journal of Korean Critical Care Nursing, 6(1), 11-20.
- Larsson, P., Nilsson, S., Runeson, B., & Gustafsson, B. (2007). Psychiatric nursing care of suicidal patients described by the sympathy-acceptance-understanding-competence model for confirming nursing. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 21(4), 222-232. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apnu.2007.02.010
- Lee, H. J., & Jo, K. H. (2006). Type of college students attitude toward elderly suicide. Journal of Korean Association of Welfare for the aged, 34, 293-311.
- Lee, H. S., Yook, S. P., Bae, J. W., & Ahn, C. I. (2008). The nomenclature and classification of the suicide-related behaviors. Korean Journal of Psychology: General, 27(2), 331-349.
- Lee, K. H. (2004). Treatment of suicide patients. Journal of the Korean Society of Biological Therapies in Psychiatry, 10(1), 15-24.
- Lee, K., Lee, K., Hwang, J., & Hahn, S. W. (2015). Investigation of knowledge, attitudes, and experience regarding suicidal behaviors among psychiatric residents in Korea: A cross-Sectional Study. Journal of Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, 54(4), 444-458. https://doi.org/10.4306/jknpa.2015.54.4.444
- McCann, T., Clark, E., McConnachie, S., & Harvey, I. (2006). Accident and emergency nurses' attitudes towards patients who self-harm. Accident and Emergency Nursing, 14(1), 4-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aaen.2005.10.005
- Neville, K., & Roan, N., M. (2013). Suicide in hospitalized medical-surgical patients: Exploring nurses' attitudes. Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services, 51(1), 35-43. https://doi.org/10.3928/02793695-20121204-01
- O'Carroll, P. W., Berman, A. L., Maris, R. W., Moscicki, E. K., Tanney, B. L., & Silverman, M. M. (1996). Beyond the tower of babel: A nomenclature for suicidology. Suicide and Life-Threatening Behavior, 26(3), 237-252.
- Ouzouni, C., & Nakakis, K. (2009). Attitudes towards attempted suicide: The development of a measurement tool. Health Science Journal, 3(4), 222-231.
- Ouzouni, C., & Nakakis, K. (2012). Doctors' attitudes towards attempted suicide. Health Science Journal, 6(4), 663-680.
- Ouzouni, C., & Nakakis, K. (2013). Nurses' attitudes towards attempted suicide. Health Science Journal, 7(1), 119-134.
- Park, B. K., & No, P. S. (2007). Factors associated with adolescents' suicidal ideation: Comparative study of depression group and non-depression group. Mental Health & Social Work, 26, 168-193.
- Park, J. Y., Moon, K. T., Chae, Y. M., & Jung, S. H. (2008). Effect of sociodemographic factors, cancer, psychiatric disorder on suicide: Gender and age-specific patterns. Journal of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, 41(1), 51-60. https://doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2008.41.1.51
- Statistics Korea. (2015). The statistics of death cause in 2015. Retrieved September 27, 2015, from the Statistics Korea Web site: http://www.kostat.go.kr/portal/korea/kor_nw/2/1/index.board?bmode=read&aSeq=356345
- Sun, F. K., Long, A., & Boore, J. (2007). The attitudes of casualty nurses in Taiwan to patients who have attempted suicide. Journal of Clinical Nursing, 16(2), 255-263. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2005.01479.x
- Wang, A. G., & Mortensen, G. (2006). Core features of repeated suicidal behaviour: A long-term follow-up after suicide attempts in a low-suicide-incidence population. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 41(2), 103-107. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00127-005-0980-4