- Volume 23 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
The Impact of Openness to Diversity on Creativity of Nursing College Students with a Focus on Mediating Effects
간호대학생의 다양성 수용도가 창의성에 미치는 영향: 매개효과를 중심으로
- Park, Ju Young (College of Nursing Science, Konyang University) ;
- Woo, Chung Hee (College of Nursing Science, Konyang University)
- Received : 2017.05.02
- Accepted : 2017.06.28
- Published : 2017.08.31
Purpose: The purpose of this study is to examine how the acceptance of diversity of nursing college students affects creativity and to verify empirically the role of individual cooperative learning competency and unlearning competency in such influence relations. Methods: This study surveyed 209 nursing college students and analyzed the structured questionnaire data using SPSS WIN 21.0 and AMOS 18.0. Results: The results of this study were as follows. First, the creativity of the subjects showed significant correlations with all other variables. Second, diversity openness directly affected creativity. We also confirmed that diversity openness and cooperative learning competency have a positive effect on creativity through mediating unlearning competency. Conclusion: In order to enhance the creativity of nursing college students, diversity openness should be actively reflected in the curriculum. In addition, concrete teaching-learning strategies should be developed in order to increase and enhance the unlearning competency and cooperative learning competency of nursing students.
- Ahn, J. H., & Lim, J. Y. (2013). Relationships among individuality-relatedness, cognitive flexibility, and team creativity in engineering design. Journal of Engineering Education Research, 16(4), 3-8.
- Choi, Y. C. (2011). A study on art education utilizing cooperative learning of constructivism. The Korean Journal of Arts Education, 9(2), 1-17.
- Hedberg, B. (1981). How organizations learn and unlearn. In P. C. Nystorm & W. H. Starbuck (Eds.), Handbook of organizational design, vol. 1. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Hoogland, J. J., & Boomsma, A. (1998). Robustness studies in covariance structure modeling. Sociological Methods & Research, 26(3), 329-367. https://doi.org/10.1177/0049124198026003003
- Hur, Y. J. (2016). The effect of Havruta teaching methods on university students' individual and group creativity. Korean Journal of General Education, 10(3), 73-106.
- Jenkins-Farve, D. (2004). Community college students' perception of collaborative learning in developmental writing classes: Identifying the factors that promote positive active learning. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Southern California, CA.
- Joo, Y. J., & Park, N. S. (2016). A structural relationship among openness to diversity, absorptive capacity, unlearning capacity, individual creativity of natural sciences college students: With a focus on the mediating effects. Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, 16(6), 247-269.
- Kang, M. H., Ryoo, D. H., & Kim, S. H. (2016). A structural relationship among openness to diversity, learning goal orientation, empowerment, creativity of natural science college students. Journal of Educational Studies, 47(1), 95-119.
- Kim, D. I., Oh, H. S., Song, Y. S., Koh, E. Y., Park, S. M., & Jung, E. H. (2009). Exploring students' core competencies in higher education from professors' perspectives: A case study of Seoul National University. Asian Journal of Education, 10(2), 95-214. http://dx.doi.org/10.15753/aje.2009.10.2.007 https://doi.org/10.15753/aje.2009.10.2.007
- Kim, E. K., Lee, K. H., & Lew, K. H. (2010). The university students' perception of creative ability and creative personality characteristics. The Journal of Creativity Education, 10(2), 5-26.
- Kim, J. H. (2015). 2015 Global education forum and global citizenship education as global agenda. Education Forum, 263, 12-14.
- Kim, J. H., & Huh, Y. S. (2013). Understanding multicultural education and global citizenship education: characteristics, conceptual relations and educational implications. Journal of Korean Education, 40(3), 155-181.
- Korean Educational Development Institute. (2015). 2015 summer special report: 2015 Achievements and future challenges of the World Education Forum. Chungcheongbuk-do: Education Development.
- Kwon, J. E. (2011). The influence of individual creativity to organizational creative product in entertainment media companies. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Chung-Ang University of Korea, Seoul.
- Lee, H. S. (2014). The impact of university students' openness to diversity on creativity: The mediating effect of cooperative learning competency and unlearning competency. Unpublished master's thesis, Chung-Ang University of Korea, Seoul.
- Lee, J. H., Lee, J. K., Kim, H. S., & Park, J. H. (2011). The effects of R&D team's diversity and cohesion on team creativity: The moderating effect of leader's function as a creative role model. The Korean Journal of Human Resource Management, 35(3), 171-197.
- Lee, K. H. (2016). The effects of emotional leadership on workers in game industry: The meditator effect of unlearning. Unpublished master's thesis, Chung-Ang University of Korea, Seoul.
- Lee, M., Lee, H. S., & Choe, I. S. (2012). A study on awareness of university students about creativity education depending on major field. The Journal of Curriculum Studies, 30(3), 353-376. https://doi.org/10.15708/kscs.30.3.201209.015
- Millis, B. J. (2010). Why faculty should adopt cooperative learning approaches. In B. J. Millis (Ed.), Cooperative learning in higher education. Sterling, VA: Stylus Publisher.
- Navarro, J. G. C., & Moya, B. R. (2005). Business performance management and unlearning process. Knowledge and Process Management, 12(3), 161-170. https://doi.org/10.1002/kpm.233
- Park, J. H. (2011). Study of abilities required to develop for student in nursing education. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing Administration, 17(1), 74-87. https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2011.17.1.74
- Pascarella, E. T., Edison, M., Nora, A., Hagedorn, L. S., & Terenzini, P. T. (1996). Influences on students' openness to diversity and challenge in the first year of college. Journal of Higher Education, 67(2), 147-195.
- Runco, M. A., Plucker, J. A., & Lim, W. (2001). Development and psychometric integrity of a measure of ideational behavior. Creativity Research Journal, 13(3 & 4), 393-400. https://doi.org/10.1207/S15326934CRJ1334_16
- Ryoo, D. H., Kang, M. H., & You, J. W. (2015). A structural relationship among psychological capital, creative personality, learning orientation and innovative behavior of college students. The International Journal of Creativity & Problem Solving, 11(3), 143-167
- Son, S. N. (2014). A didactical reflection on character education in university. Korean Journal of General Education, 8(2), 11-41.
- Song, H. D. (2003). The effects of collaborative role-playing on ill-structured problem-solving in a computer-mediated learning environment. Journal of Korean Association for Educational Information and Media, 9(4), 101-116.
- Um, H. M., Kang, S. R., & Kim, M. S. (2011). The effect of team diversity on knowledge creation: With conflict and absorptive capacity. Journal of Information Technology Applications and Management, 18(1), 101-123.
- World Economic Forum (2015). Geneva, shaping the future of education, gender and work. Retrieved April 9, 2017, from the World Economic Forum Web site: http://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_Shaping_the_Future_of_Education_Gender_and_Work_2P_140916.pdf.
- World Health Organization. (2015). Health in 2015: From MDGs to SDGs. Geneva: World Health Organization.
- Yu, H. S. (2015). The influence of empowering leadership on follower's innovation behavior and the mediating effect of unlearning. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Chung-Ang University of Korea, Seoul.