- Volume 17 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Lonely Deaths among Elderly People in the Aging Korean Society: Risk Factors and Prevention Strategies
고령화 한국사회의 노인 고독사: 위험요인과 예방전략
- 김혜성 (강남대학교 사회복지학부)
- Received : 2017.06.29
- Accepted : 2017.07.17
- Published : 2017.08.28
The purpose of this study was to explore the lonely-death phenomenon and to understand the circumstances surrounding the lonely-death cases among elderly people by examining the articles on such phenomenon and the media reports of such cases. The cases of lonely death reported from 2007 to 2017 were used. Case analysis was conducted, and the news articles that described the lonely death cases were identified using an internet search engine. Forty seven cases were analyzed. Several risk factors emerged from the data obtained, such as economic hardship, chronic illness, mental health problems like alcohol addiction, social isolation, disconnection from family members or the neighborhood, unemployment, single household, unmarried or divorced status, and living in an urban area. Based on the findings, prevention strategies were addressed.
- H. N. Gwon, "An ethical reflection on the old age generation of die alone," Studies in Humanities, Vol.35, pp.245-277, 2013
- H. S. Kim, "Analysis of dying alone among media reports," Asia-pacific Journal of Psychology and Counseling, No.1, pp.35-40, 2017.
- Seoul Welfare Foundation, "Current situation of lone deaths in Seoul City and developing Support Systems," http://wish.welfare.seoul.kr, 2016.
- G. C. Kang and J. Y. Sohn, "A comparative study of the statistics of lonely death in Korea and Japan," Japanese Cultural Studies, Vol.61, pp.5-25, 2017.
- M. Nomura, S. McLean, D. Miyamori, Y. Kakiuchi, and H. Ikegaya, "Isolation and unnatural death of elderly people in the aging Japanese society," Science & Justice, Vol.56, No.2, pp.80-83, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scijus.2015.12.003
- S. Takami, I. Torii, and N. Ishii, "Development of system for prevention of solitary death with mobile device," Procedia Computer Science, Vol.35, pp.1193-1201, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procs.2014.08.216
- J. Adams and J. Johnson, "Older people "found dead" at home: Challenges for the coroner system in England and Wales," Promoting the Interdisciplinary Study of Death and Dying, Vol.13, No.4, pp.351-360, 2008.
- E. Borgstrom, "Social death in end-of-life care policy," Contemporary Social Science, Vol.10, No.3, pp.272-283, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1080/21582041.2015.1109799
- G. Caswell and M. O'Connor, "Agency in the context of social death: Dying alone at home," Contemporary Social Science, Vol.10, No.3, pp.249-261, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1080/21582041.2015.1114663
- J. Kralova, "What is social death?," Contemporary Social Science, Vol.10, No.3, pp.235-248, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1080/21582041.2015.1114407
- C. Seale, "Media constructions of dying alone: A form of 'bad death'," Social Science & Medicine, Vol.58, No.5, pp.967-974, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2003.10.038
- Statistics Korea "Korean Social Trends 2016," http://sri.kostat.go.kr, 2016.
- Korea Elder Protection Agency, "Report on the Elder Abuse Emergency Shelter Service Cases," http://noinboho.co.kr, 2014.
- Ministry of Health and Welfare, "Report on the Status of the Elder Abuse," http://www.mohw.go.kr, 2015.
- S. M. Aoun, L. J. Breen, and S. Kim, "Supporting palliative care clients who live alone: Nurses' perspectives on improving quality of care," Collegian, Vol.23, No.1, pp.13-18, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colegn.2014.09.007
- K. Gerst-Emerson and J. Jayawardhana, "Loneliness as a public health issue: The impact of loneliness on health care utilization among older adults," American Journal of Public Health, Vol.105, No.5, pp.1013-1019, 2015. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2014.302427
- J. M. Lewis, M. DiGiacomo, D. C. Currow, and P. M. Davidson, "Dying in the margins: Understanding palliative care and socioeconomic deprivation in the developed world," Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, Vol.42, No.1, pp.105-118, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2010.10.265
- C. Nicholson, J. Meyer, M. Flatley, C. Holman, and K. Lowton, "Living on the margin: Understanding the experience of living and dying with frailty in old age," Social Science & Medicine, Vol.75, No.8, pp.1426-1432, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2012.06.011
- S. M. Lee, "Legal consideration on solitary deaths-focused on socio-legal discussions on solitary deaths of the aged-," Journal of Law and Politics research, Vol.16, No.4, pp.59-87, 2016. https://doi.org/10.17926/kaolp.2016.16.4.59
- Y. S. Kim, C. M. Lee, S. J. Namgoung, and H. K. Kim, "A study on the social networks effectiveness to prevent the lonely death of the elderly who live alone," Social Science Research, Vol.50, No.2, pp.143-169, 2011.
- J. H. Kim, "What is the role of church in the time of solitary death of elder who lives alone?," Theological Forum, Vol.85, pp.37-63, 2016.
- M. H. Kwon and Y. E. Kwon, "A study on the subjectivity of the elderly who live alone caregivers in perception of lonely death," Korean Journal of Adult Nursing, Vol.24, No.6, pp.647-656, 2012. https://doi.org/10.7475/kjan.2012.24.6.647
- C. Bradas, V. Bowden, B. Moldaver, and L. C. Mion, "Implementing the 'No One Dies Alone program': Process and lessons learned," Geriatric Nursing, Vol.35, pp.471-473, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gerinurse.2014.10.005
- Y. S. Lee, R. Akhileswaran, E. H. M. Ong, W. Wah, and D. Hui, "Clinical and socio-demographic predictors of home hospice patients dying at home: A retrospective analysis of hospice care association's database in Singapore," Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, Vol.53, No.6, pp.1035-1041, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2017.01.008
- M. Nakashima and E. R. Canda, "Positive dying and resiliency in later life: A qualitative study," Journal of Aging Studies, Vol.19, No.1, pp.109-125, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaging.2004.02.002
- A. W. Still and C. J. Todd, "Role ambiguity in general practice: The care of patients dying at home," Social Science & Medicine, Vol.23, No.5, pp.519-525, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1016/0277-9536(86)90012-2
- J. Scourfield, B. Fincham, S. Langer, and M. Shiner, "Sociological autopsy: An integrated approach to the study of suicide in men," Social Science & Medicine, Vol.74(2012), pp.466-473, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2010.01.054
- D. Hui, Z. Nooruddin, N. Didwaniya, R. Dev, M. De La Cruz, S. H. Kim, J. H. Kwon, R. Hutchins, C. Liem, and E. Bruera, "Concepts and definitions for "actively dying," "end of life," "terminally ill," "terminal care," and "transition of care": A Systematic Review," Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, Vol.47, No.1, pp.77-89, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2013.02.021
- A. Kellehear, "Dying old: and preferably alone? Agency, resistance and dissent at the end of life," International Journal of Ageing and Later Life, Vol.4, No.1, pp.5-21, 2009. https://doi.org/10.3384/ijal.1652-8670.09415