- Volume 17 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
The Impact of SME's Organizational Capabilities on CSR and Business Performance:Focused on the Mediating Role of Proactive & Reactive CSR
중소기업 조직역량이 CSR 및 경영성과에 미치는 영향:선제적 및 반응적 CSR의 매개역할을 중심으로
- Received : 2017.05.10
- Accepted : 2017.06.07
- Published : 2017.08.28
Recently many companies are utilizing CSR as an important strategic means because of increasing concern about CSR from society and securing a sustainable competitive advantage. With this background, this study conducted an empirical investigation using a statistical tool based on survey data about a casual relationship between organizational capabilities, proactive CSR, reactive CSR and Business Performance from a RBV perspective. The result of this empirical study is as follows, First, SME's specified organizational capabilities have positive and significant effect on a proactive CSR. Second, the proactive CSR is positively related with business performance but reactive CSR is not like that. Third, SME's organizational capabilities do not have a positive and significant effect on business performance directly but have a indirect effect on business performance through proactive CSR which is a value creating activity. This research is likely to give some contribution to both SME's CSR study and resource based view (RBV) research.
- Gallego-Alvarez, "Corporate Social Respon -sibility & Innovation: A Resource-based Theory," Management Decision, Vol.49, No.10, pp.1709-1727, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1108/00251741111183843
- H. Jenkins, "Small Business Champions for Corporate Social Responsibility," Journal of Business Ethics, Vol.67, No.3, pp.241-256, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-006-9182-6
- J. A. Aragon-Correa, N. Hurtado-Torres, and S. Sharma, "Environmental strategy and performan ce in small firms; A resource-based perspective," Journal of Environmental Management, Vol.86, No.1, pp.88-103, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2006.11.022
- G. D'Amboise and Muldowney, "Management Theory for Small Business Attempts & Requirements," Academy of Management Review, Vol.13, pp.226-240, 1988. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1988.4306873
- A. Rangone, "A Resource-based Approach to Strategy Analysis in Small-medium Sized Enterprises," Small Business Economics, Vol.12, pp.233-248, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1008046917465
- A. A. Thompson and A. J. Strickland, Strategic Management: Concepts & Cases, 3rd Boston: McGraw-Hill, 2003.
- T. J. Dean, R. l. Brown, and C. E. Bamford, "Differences in Large and Small Firm Responses to Environmental Context: Strategic Implications from A Comparative Analysis of Business for Nations," Strategic Management Journal, Vol.9, No.8, pp.709-728, 1998.
- H. Aldrich and E. Auster, "Even Dwarfs Started Small: Liabilities of Age and Size and Their Strategic Implications," Research in Organizational Behavior, Vol.8, No.2, pp.165-198, 1986.
- T. F. Yu, "Towards A Capabilities Perspective of Small Firm," International Journal of Management Reviews, Vol.3, No.3, pp.185-197, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1111/1468-2370.00063
- M. Chen and D. C. Hambrick, "Speed, Stealth and Selective Attach: How Small Firms Differ From Large Firms in Competitive Behavior," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.38, No.2, pp.453-482, 1995. https://doi.org/10.2307/256688
- S. L. Hart, "A Natural Resource-based View of The Firm," Academy of Management Review, Vol.20, No.4, pp.986-1014, 1995. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1995.9512280033
- I. Worthington, M. Ram, and T. Jones, "Exploring Corporate Social Responsibility in The U.K. Asian Small Business Community," Journal of Business Ethics, Vol.67, No.2, pp.201-217, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-006-9024-6
- S. Sharma and H. Vredenburg, "Proactive Corporate Environmental Strategy & The Development of Competitively Valuable Org -anizational Capabilities," Strategic Management Journal, Vol.9, No.8, pp.729-753, 1988.
- K. Buysse and A. Verbeke, "Proactive Environmental Strategies: A Stakeholder Management Perspective," Strategic Management Journal, Vol.24, No.5, pp.453-470, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.299
- R. Miles and C. Snow, "Organizational Strategy, Structure & Process," New York: McGraw Hill, 1978.
- H. Mintzberg, "The Structuring of Organizations," Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall, 1979.
- I. Maignan and O. C. Ferrell, "Antecedents & Benefits of Corporate Citizenship: An Investigation of French Business," Journal of Business Research, Vol.51, No.1, pp.37-51, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0148-2963(99)00042-9
- 김성택, New CSR, 개인과 기업의 사회적 책임, 도서출판 청람, pp.391-392, 2015.
- P. Bansal, "Evolving Sustainability: A Longitudinal Study of Corporate Sustainable Development," Strategic Management, Vol.17, No.1, pp.99-120, 2005.
- E. Hammann, A. Habisch, and H. Pechlaner, "Values That Create Value: Socially Responsible Business Practices in SMEs Empirical Evidence from German Companies," Business Ethics: A European Review, Vol.18, No.1, pp.37-51, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8608.2009.01547.x
- H. Aldrich and E. Auster, "Even dwarfs stsrted small : Liabilities of age and size and their strategic implications," Research in Organizational Behavior, Vol.8, No.2, pp.165-198, 1986.
- R. Hillary, "Small & Medium Sized Enterprises & The Environment," Shffield : Greenleaf Publishing, pp.165-198, 2000.
- Visser. Wayne, "The Ages and Stages of CSR from Defensive to Transformative Corporate Sustainability & Responsibility," CSR International Inspiration Series, Vol.8, 2010.
- M. D. Groza, M. R. Pronschinske, and M. Walker, "Perceived organizational motives and consumer reponses to proactive and reactive CSR," Journal of Business Ethics, Vol.102, pp.639-652, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-011-0834-9
- 조원섭, 손삼호, "호텔시장지향성이 경영성과에 미치는 영향: 경주지역을 중심으로," 관광학 연구, 제31권, 제2호, pp.339-358, 2007.
- 유진국, "우리나라 기업의 경쟁요인 및 경쟁전략 이 사업성과에 미치는 영향," 한국마케팅저널, 제9권, 제3호, pp.33-73, 1991.
- 박창대, 서창석, "호텔기업의 EVA(경제적 부가가치) 변동에 관한 연구," 호텔경영연구, 제11권, 제1호, pp.123-147, 2002.
- 김만기, 건설기업의 경영성과 측정모델 연구, 경희대학교, 박사학위논문, 2010.
- 조상구, 경영혁신기법과 성과관리시스템의 속성이 중소기업성과에 미치는 영향, 동아대학교, 박사학위논문, 2009.
- J. B. Barney, "Firm resources and sustained competitive advantage," Journal of Management, Vol.1, No.1, pp.99-120, 1991.
- J. L. Campbell, "Why would corpor -ations behave in socially responsible ways?," Academy of Management Review, Vol.32, No.3, pp.946-967, 2007. https://doi.org/10.5465/AMR.2007.25275684
- C. H. Chang, "Proactive & Reactive Corporate Social Responsibility: Antecedent & Consequence," Journal of Management Decision, Vol.53, No.2, 2014.
- K. Gilley, D. Worell, and A. EI-Jelly, "Corporate environmental initiatives and anticipated firm performance," Journal of Managemnet, Vol.26, pp.1199-1216, 2000.
- D. Thornton, R. A. Kagan, and M. Gunningham, "Sources of corporate environmental performance," California Management Review, Vol.46, No.1, pp.127-141, 2003. https://doi.org/10.2307/41166235
- K. Auppele and J. Hatfield, "An Empirical Examination of The Relationship Between Corporate Social Responsibility and Profitability," Academy of Management Journal, Vol.28, pp.446-463, 1985. https://doi.org/10.2307/256210
- N. A. Torugsa, W. O'Donohue, and R. Hecker, "CSR: an empirical analysis of the role of it economic, social and environmental dimensions on the association between capabilities and performance," Journal of Business Ethics, Vol.115, No.2, pp.383-402, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-012-1405-4
- J. J. Graafland, B. Ven de van, and N. Stoffele, "Strategies & Instruments for Organizing CSR by Small & Large Business in The Netherlands," Journal of Business Ethics, Vol.47, No.1, pp.45-60, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1026240912016
- 이양복, 한국기업 해외자회사의 사회적 책임활동에 관한 연구, 서강대학교, 박사학위논문, pp.47-59, 2015.
- Srichatsuwan. Supaporn, Corporate Social Responsibility & Performance: A study of Small Business in The United States, Alliant International University, 2014.
- R. M. Grant, "The resource-based theory of competitive advantage: Implications for strategy formulation," California Management Reviews, Vol.33, No.3, pp.114-135, 1991. https://doi.org/10.2307/41166664
- A. B. Carroll, "A three-dimensional conceptual model of corporate performance, Academy of Management Review, Vol.4, No.1, pp.497-505, 1979. https://doi.org/10.5465/amr.1979.4498296
- B. Wernerfelt, "The Resource Based View of The Firm: Ten Years After, Strategic Management Journal, Vol.16, pp.171-174, 1989.
- 이양복, "다국적 기업의 사회적 책임활동(CSR)의 통합피라미드 모델에 관한 연구," 전문경영인 연구, Vol.19, No.1, pp.101-122, 2016.
- N. A. Torugsa, W. O'Donohue, and R. Hecker, "capabilities, CSR, financial performance," Journal of Business Ethics, Vol.109, No.4, pp.483-500, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-011-1141-1