- Volume 12 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A Study on the control system for the Unintended Car Movement Protection Means to meet the International Standards of lifts
- Choi, Youngkiu (Department of Electrical Engineering, Pusan National University) ;
- Lee, Hochul (Occupational Safety Department, Korea Elevator Safety Agency)
- Received : 2016.10.14
- Accepted : 2017.06.22
- Published : 2017.09.01
As the number of tall buildings is increasing, the high-speed lift is necessary in the modern world. Therefore, the further considerations for associated safety devices of lifts were required by the International Standards. In order to stop the moving of cage and keep it, the lifts have to be provided with means that can detect the unintended car movement. Therefore, the International Standard Safety Rules for the construction and installation of lifts had been revised. This paper describes the operation principles of the Rope Brake to fit the Unintended Car Movement Protection (UCMP) means required by the International Standards. This paper confirmed that the performance of these devices was suitable in the scope of the safety standards. This paper also analyzed that the shocks on working of these devices in a car would be dangerous to each passenger differently. Thus, this paper proposes a new design that the circuit diagram of the Unintended Car Movement Protection systems should be improved from the existing design to solve these internal shock problems. So, it is expected to protect passengers from the internal shocks by working of Rope Brake due to irrelevant factors.
Lift;Internal shock;UCMP;Control system;Safety standard;Rope brake
- Korea Elevator Safety Agency, "Statistics on Elevator," October 2016.
- Kyung-Taek Chung and Dong-Bok Kim, "An experimental study of spring acting rope brake for lift," Proc. of the Society of Air-conditioning and Refrigerating Engineers of Korea summer conference, pp. 1258-1261, 2011.
- ASME 17.1, "Safe Code for Elevators and Escalators," 2000.
- EN 81-1, "Safety rules for the construction and installation of lifts-Part 1: Electric lifts," British Standard, 1998.
- Ministry of Security and Public Administration, "Lift Inspection Standard," pp. 52-55, 2012.
- Young-Hwan Yoon, Myung-Jin Choi, and Seung-Ho Jang, "Design parameter optimization of rope brake system for elevator," Transaction of the Korean Society of Machine Tool Engineers, vol. 10, no. 6, December 2001.
- Jong-Sun Lee, "Structural analysis of rope brake by spring type," Transaction of the Korean Society of Machine Tool Engineers, vol. 14, no. 1, February 2005.
- Jong-Sun Lee, Jin-Sup Lim, and Chong-Jin Won, "Structural analysis and characteristics compare of rope brake by spring type," Proc. of the Korean Society of Machine Tool Engineers Autumn Conference, pp. 260-265, 2005.
- Joosup Jang, "Design parameters considering friction characteristics for rope brake system of elevator," Journal of the Korean Society of Tribologists & Lubrication Engineers, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 171-179, June 2013. https://doi.org/10.9725/kstle-2013.29.3.171
- Qing Hu, Jiao Wang, Haiyan Yu, and Xin Zhang, "Robust multiobjective control of high-rise roped elevator system based on T-S fuzzy model," Proc. of the Chinese Control and Decision Conference, pp. 5378-5381, 2009.
- Atsushi Arakawa and Koichi Miyata, "A variablestructure control method for the suppression of elevator-cage vibration," Proc. of the IEEE Conference, pp. 1830-1835, 2002.