- Volume 12 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Filtering and Intrusion Detection Approach for Secured Reconfigurable Mobile Systems
- Idriss, Rim (School of Electrical and Information Engineering, Jinan University (Zhuhai Campus)/INSAT Institute, University of Carthage) ;
- Loukil, Adlen (INSAT Institute, University of Carthage) ;
- Khalgui, Mohamed (INSAT Institute, University of Carthage) ;
- Li, Zhiwu (Institute of Systems Engineering, Macau University of Science and Technology/School of Electro-Mechanical Engineering, Xidian University) ;
- Al-Ahmari, Abdulrahman (Industrial Engineering Department, College of Engineering, King Saud University)
- Received : 2016.08.15
- Accepted : 2017.05.10
- Published : 2017.09.01
This paper deals with reconfigurable secured mobile systems where the reconfigurability has the potential of providing a required adaptability to change the system requirements. The reconfiguration scenario is presented as a run-time automatic operation which allows security mechanisms and the addition-removal-update of software tasks. In particular, there is a definite requirement for filtering and intrusion detection mechanisms that will use fewer resources and also that will improve the security on the secured mobile devices. Filtering methods are used to control incoming traffic and messages, whereas, detection methods are used to detect malware events. Nevertheless, when different reconfiguration scenarios are applied at run-time, new security threats will be emerged against those systems which need to support multiple security objectives: Confidentiality, integrity and availability. We propose in this paper a new approach that efficiently detects threats after reconfigurable scenarios and which is based on filtering and intrusion detection methods. The paper's contribution is applied to Android where the evaluation results demonstrate the effectiveness of the proposed middleware in order to detect the malicious events on reconfigurable secured mobile systems and the feasibility of running and executing such a system with the proposed solutions.
Mobile system;Android;Reconfiguration and adaptation;Security;Filtering and detection;Multi-agent system;Modelling and evaluation
- J. F. Zhang, M. Khalgui, Z. Li, G. Frey, O. Mosbahi and H.B. Salah, "Reconfigurable coordination of distributed discrete event control systems," IEEE Transactions on Control Systems Technology, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 323-330, Jan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCST.2014.2313352
- X. Wang, I. Khemaissia, M. Khalgui, Z. Li, O. Mosbahi and M. Zhou, "Dynamic low-power reconfiguration of real-time systems with periodic and probabilistic tasks," IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 258-271, Jan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASE.2014.2309479
- R. Idriss, A. Loukil and M. Khalgui, "New solutions for feasible secured reconfiguration of embedded control systems," In Proceedings of the 28th European Simulation and Modelling Conference ESM, pp. 323-330, Jan. 2014.
- R. Idriss, A. Loukil and M. Khalgui, "New middleware for secured reconfigurable real-time systems," In Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Intelligent Software Methodologies, Tools and Techniques SoMeT, pp. 469-483, Sep. 2015.
- R. Robu and V. Stoicu-Tivadar, "Arff convertor tool for WEKA data mining software," In Proceedings of Computational Cybernetics and Technical Informatics ICCC-CONTI, pp. 247-251, 2010.
- H. Dhouib, A. Loukil, A. Ammari and A. Jemai, "Proactive mobile agent security: A new access control approach based on the risk analysis," In Proceedings of the digital information processing and communications ICDIPC, pp. 62-67, Aug. 2012.
- A. Shabtai, U. Kanonov and Y. Elovici, "Intrusion detection for mobile devices using the knowledgebased, temporal abstraction method," Journal of Systems and Software, vol. 83, no. 8, pp. 1524-1537, Aug. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2010.03.046
- H. Khodor, S. Alaa, E. Imad, C. Ali and K. Ayman, "An implementation of intrusion detection system using genetic algorithm," International Journal of Network Security and Its Applications, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 109-120, Mar. 2012.
- C. Hsiao-Hwa and R.S. Hamid, "Security and communication networks," ISI Journal Citation Reports, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 54-77, 2015.
- C. Jindal, M. Chowkwale, R. Shethia and S.A. Shaikh, "A survey on intrusion detection systems for android smartphones," International Journal of Computer Science and Network, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 12-17, Oct. 2014.
- D. Fischer, B. Markscheffel and T. Seyffarth, "An overview of threats and security software solutions for smartphones," International Journal for Information Security Research, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 427-431, June. 2014.
- A. Oyeleye Christopher, Y. Daramola Comfort and A. James, "Mob-AIDS: An intrusion detection system for the android mobile enterprise," International Journal of the Digital Information Processing and Communications, vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 161-167, May. 2014.
- W. Jiang, K. Jiang, X. Zhang and Y. Ma, "Energy optimization of security-critical real-time applications with guaranteed security protection," Journal of Systems Architecture, vol. 61, no. 7, pp. 282-292, Aug. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sysarc.2015.05.005
- W. Wang, R. Sanjay and M. Prabhat, "Energy-aware dynamic reconfiguration algorithms for real-Time multitasking systems," Elsevier Sustainable Computing: Informatics and Systems, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 35-45, Mar. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.suscom.2010.10.006
- W. Li, "Evaluating the impacts of dynamic reconfiguration on the QoS of running systems," Journal of Systems and Software, vol. 84, no. 12, pp. 2123-2138, Dec. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2011.05.060
- Z. Zhao, P. Zhao and W. Li, "Quantitative analysis of design decisions for dynamic reconfiguration," Journal of Software, vol. 8, no. 10, pp. 2391-2396, Oct. 2013.
- B. Pascal, T. Lionel, S. Gilles, R. Michel, and S. Nicolas, "Run time mapping for dynamic reconfiguration management in embedded systems," International Journal of Embedded Systems, vol. 4, no. 3-4, pp. 276-291, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJES.2010.039031
- K. Vallidevi and B. Chitra, "SLA aware dynamic reconfiguration for the safe building security system," International Journal of Software Engineering and Its Applications, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 151-162, Feb. 2015. https://doi.org/10.14257/ijseia.2015.9.7.16
- F. Zhao, J. Wang, Ju. Wang and J. Jonrinaldi, "A dynamic rescheduling model with multi-agent system and its solution method," Journal of Mechanical Engineering, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 81-92, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5545/sv-jme.2011.029
- A. Hussein Rady, "Multi-agent system for negotiation in a collaborative supply chain management," International Journal of Video Image Processing and Network Security IJVIPNS-IJENS, vol. 11, no. 5, pp.25-36, 2011.
- W. Jiang, Z. Guo, Y. Ma and N. Sang, "Measurementbased research on cryptographic algorithms for embedded real-time systems," Journal of Systems Architecture JSA, vol. 59, no. 10-Part D, pp. 1394-1404, Nov. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sysarc.2013.09.008
- Y. Verbelen, A. Braeken, S. Kubera, A. Touhafi, J. Vliegen and N. Mentens, "Implementation of a server architecture for secure reconfiguration of embedded systems," ARPN Journal of systems and software, vol. 1, no. 9, pp. 270-279, Dec. 2011.
- T. Thanh, T. Hoang Vu, N. Duy Phuong, D. Son Tung, C. Nguyen-Van, N. Van Cuong and P. Ngoc Nam, "Enhance performance in implementing the security of partially reconfigurable embedded systems," American Journal of Embedded Systems and Applications, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 1-5, Jan. 2014. https://doi.org/10.11648/j.ajesa.20140201.11
- S. Lee and D.Y. Ju, "A novel method to avoid malicious applications on android," International Journal of Security and Its Applications, vol. 7, no. 5, pp. 121-130, Sep. 2013. https://doi.org/10.14257/ijsia.2013.7.5.10
- C-H. Huang, P-A. Hsiung and J-S. Shen, "UMLbased hardware/software co-design platform for dynamically partially reconfigurable network security systems," Journal of Systems Architecture JSA, vol. 56, no. 2-3, pp. 88-102, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sysarc.2009.11.007
- K. Kularbphrttong, S. Somngam, C. Tongsiri and P. Roonrakwit, "A recommender system using collaborative filtering and K-Mean based on android application," In Proceedings of International Conference Applied Mathematics, Computational Science and Engineering, pp. 161-166, Dec. 2014.
- P. Gayathri and A. Rama, "Smart shop search android mobile application," International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 146-150, Feb. 2015.
- C. Kotkar Chetan and P. Game, "Exploring security mechanisms to android device," International Journal of Advanced Computer Research, vol. 3, no. 13, pp. 216-221, Dec. 2013.
- Q. Qian, J. Cai, M. Xie and R. Zhang, "Malicious Behavior Analysis for Android Applications," International Journal of Network Security, vol. 18, no. 1, pp. 182-192, Jan. 2016.
- T. Hayajneh, B.J. Mohd, A. Itradat and A.N. Quttoum, "Performance and information security evaluation with firewalls," International Journal of Security and Its Applications, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 355-372, 2013.
- A. Magdy, M. Mahros and E. Hemayed, "Firewallbased solution for preventing privilege escalation attacks in android," International Journal of Computer Networks and Communications Security, vol. 2, no. 9, pp. 318-327, Sep. 2014.
- L. Dua and D. Bansal, "Review on mobile threats and detection techniques," International Journal of Distributed and Parallel Systems, vol. 5, no. 4, pp. 21-29, July. 2014. https://doi.org/10.5121/ijdps.2014.5403
- P. Jae-Kyung and C. Sang-Yong, "Studying security weaknesses of android system," International Journal of Security and Its Applications, vol. 9, no. 3, pp. 7-12, Mar. 2015. https://doi.org/10.14257/ijsia.2015.9.3.02
- A. J. Alzahrani and A. A. Ghorbani, "A multi-agent system for smartphone intrusion detection framework," In Proceedings of the 18th Asia Pacific Symposium on Intelligent and Evolutionary Systems, vol. 1, pp. 101-113, 2015.
- M. Alam, and S. T. Vuong, "An intelligent multiagent based detection framework for classification of android malware," In Proceedings of the 10th International Conference of Active Media Technology, vol. 8610, pp. 226-237, 2014.
- A. Dwived, Y.K. Rana and B.P. patel, "A Real time host and network mobile agent based intrusion detection system (HNMAIDS)," International Journal of Computer Applications, vol. 113, no. 12, pp.33-40, 2015.
- M. Jang, and D. Kim, "Filtering illegal Android application based on feature information," In Proceedings of Research in Adaptive and Convergent Systems, pp.357-358, 2013.
- V. Rastogi, Y. Chen and W. Enck, "AppsPlayground: automatic security analysis of smartphone applications," In Proceedings of the third ACM conference on Data and application security and privacy, pp. 209-220, 2013.
- L. Min and Q. Cao, "Runtime-based behavior dynamic analysis system for Android malware detection," Advanced Materials Research, vol. 756-759, pp. 2220-2225, 2012.
- T. Blasing, L. Batyuk, A.D. Schimdt, S.H. Camtepe and S. Albayrak, "An Android application sandbox system for suspicious software detection," In Proc. the 5th International Conference on Malicious and Unwanted Software, DOI: 10.1109/MALWARE.2010.5665792, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/MALWARE.2010.5665792
- H.C. Liu, J.X. You, Z. Li and G. Tian, " Fuzzy Petri nets for knowledge representation and reasoning: A literature review," Engineering Applications of Artificial Intelligence, vol. 60, pp. 45-56, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engappai.2017.01.012
- F. Yang, N. Wu, Y. Qiao, M. Zhou and Z. Li, "Scheduling of singlearm cluster tools for an atomic layer deposition process with residency time constraints," IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 502-516, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSMC.2015.2507140
- S.B. Meskina, N. Doggaz, M. Khalgui and Z. Li, "Multi-agent framework for smart grids recovery," IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems. DOI: 10.1109/TSMC.2016.2573824, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSMC.2016.2573824
- M. Gasmi, O. Mosbahi, M. Khalgui, L. Gomes and Z. Li, "RNode: New pipelined approach for an effective reconfigurable wireless sensor node," IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, DOI: 10.1109/TSMC.2016.2625817, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSMC.2016.2625817
- H. Grichi, O. Mosbahi, M. Khalgui and Z. Li, "RWiN: New methodology for the development of reconfigurable WSN," IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 109-125, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TASE.2016.2608918
- H. Grichi, O. Mosbahi, M. Khalgui and Z. Li, "New poweroriented methodology for dynamic resizing and mobility of reconfigurable wireless sensor networks," IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, vol.99, pp. 1-11, 2017.
- M.O. Ben Salem, O. Mosbahi, M. Khalgui, Z. Jlalia, G. Frey and M. Smida, "BROMETH: Methodology to design safe reconfigurable medical robotic systems," International Journal of Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery, DOI: 10.1002/rcs.1786, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1002/rcs.1786
- M. Uzam, Z. Li, G. Gelen, and R. S. Zakariyya, "A divide-andconquer-method for the synthesis of liveness enforcing supervisors for flexible manufacturing systems," Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, vol.27, no. 5, pp. 1111-1129, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10845-014-0938-z
- Y.F Chen, Z. Li, A. Al-Ahmari, N.Q. Wu and T. Qu, "Deadlock recovery for flexible manufacturing systems modeled with Petri nets," Information Sciences, Vol.381, pp. 290-303, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ins.2016.11.011
- Y. Tong, Z. Li and A. Giua, "On the equivalence of observation structures for Petri net generators," IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, vol. 61, no. 9, pp. 2448-2462, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAC.2015.2496500
- Y. Tong, Z.W. Li, C. Seatzu and A. Giua, "Verification of state-based opacity using Petri nets," IEEE Trans. on Automatic Control, vol. 62, no. 6, pp. 2823-2837, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAC.2016.2620429
- X. Wang, Z. Li and W.M. Wonham, "Dynamic multiple-period reconfiguration of real-time scheduling based on timed DES supervisory control," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 101-111, 2016.