- Volume 12 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Capacity Firming for Wind Generation using One-Step Model Predictive Control and Battery Energy Storage System
- Robles, Micro Daryl (Dept. of Electrical and Information Engineering, SeoulTech) ;
- Kim, Jung-Su (Dept. of Electrical and Information Engineering, SeoulTech) ;
- Song, Hwachang (Dept. of Electrical and Information Engineering, SeoulTech)
- Received : 2016.12.30
- Accepted : 2017.05.01
- Published : 2017.09.01
This paper presents two MPC (Model Predictive Control) based charging and discharging algorithms of BESS (Battery Energy Storage System) for capacity firming of wind generation. To deal with the intermittency of the output of wind generation, a single BESS is employed. The proposed algorithms not only make the output of combined systems of wind generation and BESS track the predefined reference, but also keep the SoC (State of Charge) of BESS within its physical limitation. Since the proposed algorithms are both presented in simple if-then statements which are the optimal solutions of related optimization problems, they are both easy to implement in a real-time system. Finally, simulations of the two strategies are done using a realistic wind farm library and a BESS model. The results on both simulations show that the proposed algorithms effectively achieve capacity firming while fulfilling all physical constraints.
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF), Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP)
- S. S. Soman, H. Zareipour, O. Malik, and P. Mandal, "A review of wind power and wind speed forecasting methods with different time horizons," in North American Power Symposium (NAPS), pp. 1-8, 2010.
- M. Lei, L. Shiyan, J. Chuanwen, L. Hongling, and Z. Yan, "A review on the forecasting of wind speed and generated power," Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev., vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 915-920, May 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2008.02.002
- J. K. Lyu, J. H. Heo, M. K. Kim, and J. K. Park, "Impacts of Wind Power Integration on Generation Dispatch in Power Systems," Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 453-463, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2013.8.3.453
- A. M. Howlader, N. Urasaki, A. Yona, T. Senjyu, and A. Y. Saber, "A review of output power smoothing methods for wind energy conversion systems," Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev., vol. 26, pp. 135-146, Oct. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2013.05.028
- S. Abdelrazek and S. Kamalasadan, "Integrated control of battery energy storage management system considering PV capacity firming and energy time shift applications," in 2014 IEEE Industry Application Society Annual Meeting, pp. 1-7, 2014.
- Z. Wei, B. Y. Moon, and Y. H. Joo, "Smooth Wind Power Fluctuation Based on Battery Energy Storage System for Wind Farm," Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology, vol. 9, no. 6, pp. 2134-2141, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.6.2134
- C. L. Nguyen, H. H. Lee, and T. W. Chun, "Cost-Optimized Battery Capacity and Short-Term Power Dispatch Control for Wind Farm," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 51, no. 1, pp. 595-606, Jan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2014.2330073
- C. L. Nguyen and H. H. Lee, "Effective power dispatch capability decision method for a windbattery hybrid power system," Transm. Distrib. IET Gener., vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 661-668, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2015.0078
- T. K. A. Brekken, A. Yokochi, A. von Jouanne, Z. Z. Yen, H. M. Hapke, and D. A. Halamay, "Optimal Energy Storage Sizing and Control for Wind Power Applications," IEEE Trans. Sustain. Energy, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 69-77, Jan. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2010.2066294
- A. Khatamianfar, "Advanced Discrete-Time Control Methods for Industrial Applications," ArXiv150404423 Cs, Ph.D. dissertation, School of Electrical Eng. and Telecommunications, UNSW, Sydney, Australia, pp. 18-68, Apr. 2015.
- MATLAB and Simscape Power Systems 2016a, "Wind Farm DFIG Phasor Model (power_wind_dfig)," The MathWorks, Inc., Natick, Massachusetts, United States, 2016.