- Volume 12 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Optimal Rotor Shape Design of Asymmetrical Multi-Layer IPM Motors to Improve Torque Performance Considering Irreversible Demagnetization
- Mirazimi, M.S. (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, University of Isfahan) ;
- Kiyoumarsi, A. (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, University of Isfahan) ;
- Madani, Sayed M. (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, University of Isfahan)
- Received : 2017.03.16
- Accepted : 2017.06.16
- Published : 2017.09.01
A study on the multi-objective optimization of Interior Permanent-Magnet Synchronous Motors (IPMSMs) with 2, 3, 4 and 5 flux barriers per magnetic pole, based on Genetic Algorithm (GA) is presented by considering the aspect of irreversible demagnetization. Applying the 2004 Toyota Prius single-layer IPMSM as the reference machine, the asymmetrical two-, three-, four- and five-layer rotor models with the same amount of Permanent-Magnets (PMs) is presented to improve the torque characteristics, i.e., reducing the torque pulsation and increasing the average torque. A reduction of the torque pulsations is achieved by adopting different and asymmetrical flux barrier geometries in each magnetic pole of the rotor topology. The demagnetization performance in the PMs is considered as well as the motor performance; and analyzed by using finite element method (FEM) for verification of the optimal solutions.
Interior Permanent-Magnet (IPM);Genetic Algorithm (GA);Electromagnetic torque;Asymmetrical multi-layer rotor design;Demagnetization
- R. H. Staunton, T. A. Burress, and L. D. Marlino, "Evaluation of 2005 Honda Accord hybrid electric drive system," Oak Ridge Nat. Lab, Oak Ridge, TN, USA, Rep. ORNL/TM-2006/535, 2006.
- K. T. Chau, C. C. Chan, C. Liu, "Overview of Permanent-Magnet Brushless Drives for Electric and Hybrid Electric Vehicles," IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, vol. 55, pp. 2246-2257, June, 2008.
- N. Bianchi and T. M. Jahns, Design, Analysis, and Control of Interior PM Synchronous Machines. Piscataway, NJ: IEEE, Oct. 2004, IEEE Ind. Appl. Soc. Elect. Mach. Committee.
- J. M. Miller, Propulsion System for Hybrid Vehicles, ser. Inst. Elect.Eng. Power Energy 45. London, U.K.: IEE, 2004.
- K. J. Lee, K. C. Kim, S. Kim, J. S. Ahn, S. Y. Lim, and J. Lee, "Optimal Magnet Shape to Improve Torque Characteristics of IPMSM," J. Appl. Phys., vol. 97, p. 10Q505, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.1852411
- K. C. Kim, S. B. Lim, D. H. Koo and J. Lee, "The Shape Optimization of Permanent Magnet for Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor Considering Partial Demagnetization", IEEE Trans. Magn., vol. 42, no. 10, pp. 3485-3487, 2006 https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2006.879077
- N. Bianchi, M. Degano and E. Fornasiero "Sensitivity Analysis of Torque Ripple Reduction of Synchronous Reluctance and Interior PM motors", Proc. IEEE ECCE, pp. 1842-1849, 2013.
- S. Morimoto, S. Ooi, Y. Inoue, and M. Sanada, "Experimental Evaluation of a Rare-Earth-Free PMASynRM With Ferrite Magnets for Automotive Applications," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics., vol. 61, no. 10, pp. 5749-5756, Oct. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2013.2289856
- Z. Q. Zhu, D. Ishak, D. Howe, and C. Jintao, "Unbalanced Magnetic Forces in Permanent-Magnet Brushless Machines With Diametrically Asymmetric Phase Windings," Industry Applications, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 43, pp. 1544-1553, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2007.908158
- S. Morimoto, S. Ooi, Y. Inoue, and M. Sanada, "The Shape Design of Permanent Magnet for Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor Considering Partial Demagnetization," IEEE Trans. Magn., vol. 42, no. 10, pp. 3485-3487, Mar. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2006.879077
- S. Ruoho, J. Kolehmainen, J. Ikaheimo, and A. Arkkio, "Interdependence of Demagnetization, Loading, and Temperature Rise in a PM Synchronous Motor," IEEE Trans. Magn., vol. 46, no. 3, pp. 949-953, Mar. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2009.2033592
- J. S. Hsu, C. W. Ayers, and C. L. Coomer, "Report on Toyota/Prius Motor Design and Manufacturing Assessment," Oak Ridge Nat. Lab., Oak Ridge, TN, USA, Rep. ORNL/TM-2004/137, 2004.
- J. S. Hsu, C. W. Ayers, and C. L. Coomer, "Reprot on Toyota/Prius Motor Torque Capability, Torque Property, No-load Back Emf, and Mechanical Losses," Oak Ridge Nat. Lab., Oak Ridge, TN, USA, Rep. ORNL/TM-2004/137, 2004.
- F. Fulginei and A. Salvini, "Comparative Analysis Between Modern Heuristics and Hybrid Algorithms," Int. J. Comput. Math. Electr. Electron. Eng., vol. 26, no. 2, pp. 259-268, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1108/03321640710727629
- H. Huang, Y. Hu, Y.Xiao, and H. Lyu, "Research of Parameters and Antidemagnetization of Rare-Earth-Less Permanent Magnet-Assisted Synchronous Reluctance Motor," IEEE Trans. Magn., vol. 51, no. 11, Nov. 2015.
- S.-I. Kim, G.-H. Lee, J.-P. Hong, and T.-U. Jung, "Design Process of Interior PM Synchronous Motor for 42-V Electric Air-Conditioner System in Hybrid Electric Vehicle," IEEE Trans. Magn., vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 1590-1593, Jun. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2007.916136
- Seok-Hee Han; Jahns, T.M.; Zhu, Z.Q., "Design Tradeoffs Between Stator Core Loss and Torque Ripple in IPM Machines," Industry Applications, IEEE Transactions on, vol. 46, no. 1, pp. 187-195, Jan.-Feb. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.2009.2036664
- P. Alotto, M. Barcaro, N. Bianchi, and M. Guarnieri, "Optimization of Interior PM Motors with Machaon Rotor Flux Barriers," IEEE Trans. Magn., vol. 47, no. 5, pp. 958-961, May, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2010.2073450
- Choi, Gilsu, and T. M. Jahns. "Demagnetization Characteristics of Permanent Magnet Synchronous Machines," In Industrial Electronics Society, IECON 2014-40th Annual Conference of the IEEE, pp. 469-475, IEEE, 2014.
- J. S. Hsu, C. W. Ayers, C. L. Coomer, R. H. Wiles, "Report on Toyota/Prius Motor Torque Capability, Torque Property, No-Load Back EMF, and Mechanical Losses," Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Rep. ORNL/TM-2004/185, Sep. 2004.
- T. Jahns, "Flux-weakening regime operation of an interior permanent-magnet synchronous motor drive," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. IA-23, no. 4, pp. 681-689, July, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIA.1987.4504966