- Volume 12 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Optimization of Bidirectional DC/DC Converter for Electric Vehicles Based On Driving Cycle
- Yutao, Luo (School of Mechanical and Automotive Engineering, South China University of Technology) ;
- Feng, Wang (School of Mechanical and Automotive Engineering, South China University of Technology)
- Received : 2017.01.20
- Accepted : 2017.06.04
- Published : 2017.09.01
As a key component of high-voltage power conversion system for electric vehicles (EVs), bidirectional DC/DC (Bi-DC/DC) is required to have high efficiency and light weight. Conventional design methods optimize the Bi-DC/DC at the maximum power dissipation point (MPDP). For EVs application, the work condition of the Bi-DC/DC is not strict as the MPDP, where the design method using MPDP may not be optimal during travel of EVs. This paper optimizes the Bi-DC/DC converter targeting efficiency and weight based on the driving cycle. By analyzing the two-phase interleaved Bi-DC/DC for hybrid energy storage systems (HESS) of EVs, its power dissipation is calculated, and an efficiency model is derived. On this basis, weight models of capacitor, inductor and heat sink are built, as well as a dynamic temperature model of heat sink. Based on these models, a method using New European Driving Cycle (NEDC) for optimal design of Bi-DC/DC which simultaneously considered efficiency and weight is proposed. The simulation result shows that compare with conventional optimization methods revealed that the optimization approach based on driving cycle allowed significant weight reduction while meeting the efficiency requirements.
Bidirectional DC/DC converter;Efficiency increase;Optimal design;Weight reduction
Supported by : Guangdong Provincial Department of Science and Technology
- S. D. Bulent Vural, Mehmet Uzunoglu, Enes Ugur, Bilal Akin, "Fuel Consumption Comparison of Different Battery/Ultracapacitor Hybridization Topologies for Fuel-Cell Vehicles on a Test Bench," IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, vol. 2, pp. 552-561, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/JESTPE.2013.2297702
- C. Siang FuiTie, "A review of energy sources and energy management system in electric vehicles," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 20, pp. 82-92, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2012.11.077
- W. C. Qi Li, Yankun Li, Shukui Liu, Jin Huang, "Energy management strategy for fuel cell/battery/ ultracapacitor hybrid vehicle based on fuzzy logic," Electrical Power and Energy Systems, vol. 43, 2012.
- I. Lachhab and L. Krichen, "An improved energy management strategy for FC/UC hybrid electric vehicles propelled by motor-wheels," International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol. 39, pp. 571-581, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2013.10.064
- C. Zhao, H. Yin, Z. Yang, and C. Ma, "Equivalent Series Resistance-Based Energy Loss Analysis of a Battery Semiactive Hybrid Energy Storage System," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, vol. 30, pp. 1-11, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2014.2326301
- C. Wang and M. H. Nehrir, "Power Management of a Stand-Alone Wind/Photovoltaic/Fuel Cell Energy System," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, vol. 23, pp. 957-967, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2007.914200
- G. R. Zhu, K. H. Loo, Y. M. Lai, and C. K. Tse, "Quasi-Maximum Efficiency Point Tracking for Direct Methanol Fuel Cell in DMFC/Supercapacitor Hybrid Energy System," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, vol. 27, pp. 561-571, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2012.2195183
- J. Biela, U. Badstuebner, and J. W. Kolar, "Design of a 5-kW, 1-U, 10-kW/dm3 resonant DC-DC converter for telecom applications," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 24, pp. 1701-1710, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2014377
- M. Mirjafari and R. S. Balog, "Multi-objective design optimization of renewable energy system inverters using a Descriptive language for the components," in 26th Annual IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition, APEC 2011, March 6, 2011-March 10, 2011, Fort Worth, TX, United states, 2011, pp. 1838-1845.
- J. W. Kolar, J. Biela, and J. Minibock, "Exploring the Pareto front of multi-objective single-phase PFC rectifier design optimization-99.2% Efficiency vs. 7kW/dm3 power density," in 2009 IEEE 6th International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference, IPEMC '09, May 17, 2009-May 20, 2009, Wuhan, China, 2009, pp. 1-21.
- S. Zeljkovic, T. Reiter, and D. Gerling, "Efficiency Optimized Single-Stage Reconfigurable DC/DC Converter for Hybrid and Electric Vehicles," Ieee Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, vol. 2, pp. 496-506, Sep 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/JESTPE.2014.2305739
- M. Mirjafari, R. S. Balog, and R. Turan, "Multiobjective optimization of the DC-DC stage of a module-integrated inverter based on an efficiency usage model," IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics, vol. 4, pp. 906-914, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/JPHOTOV.2014.2304363
- S. Waffler, M. Preindl, and J. W. Kolar, "Multiobjective optimization and comparative evaluation of Si soft-switched and SiC hard-switched automotive DC-DC converters," in 35th Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, IECON 2009, November 3, 2009-November 5, 2009, Porto, Portugal, 2009, pp. 3814-3821.
- D. Han, J. Noppakunkajorn, and B. Sarlioglu, "Comprehensive Efficiency, Weight, and Volume Comparison of SiC-and Si-Based Bidirectional DCDC Converters for Hybrid Electric Vehicles," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 63, pp. 3001-3010, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2014.2323193
- G. Adinolfi, G. Graditi, P. Siano, and A. Piccolo, "Multiobjective Optimal Design of Photovoltaic Synchronous Boost Converters Assessing Efficiency, Reliability, and Cost Savings," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, vol. 11, pp. 1-1, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TII.2015.2475695
- M. Taherbaneh, A. H. Rezaie, H. Ghafoorifard, M. Mirsamadi, and M. B. Menhaj, "A Trade-Off between the Efficiency, Ripple and Volume of a DC-DC Converter," Journal of Power Electronics, vol. 11, pp. 621-631, 2011. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2011.11.5.621
- Y. Louvrier, P. Barrade, and A. Rufer, "Weight and efficiency optimization strategy of an interleaved DC-DC converter for a solar aircraft," in European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications, 2009, pp. 1-10.
- C. Gammeter, F. Krismer, and J. W. Kolar, "Weight Optimization of a Cooling System Composed of Fan and Extruded-Fin Heat Sink," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, vol. 51, pp. 2193-2200, 2013.
- J. Fu, Z. Zhang, Y.-F. Liu, and P. C. Sen, "MOSFET switching loss model and optimal design of a current source driver considering the current diversion problem," 2012, pp. 998-1012.
- M. C. Mira, A. Knott, and M. A. E. Andersen, "MOSFET loss evaluation for a low-power Stand-Alone photovoltaic-LED system," in 11th IEEE International Conference on Power Electronics and Drive Systems, PEDS 2015, June 9, 2015-June 12, 2015, Sydney, NSW, Australia, 2015, pp. 779-785.
- S. Maniktala, Switching Power Supplies A-Z (Second Edition), 2 ed. Oxford: Newnes, 2012.
- J. Hu, J. Li, J. Zou, and J. Tan, "Losses calculation of IGBT module and heat dissipation system design of inverters," Diangong Jishu Xuebao/Transactions of China Electrotechnical Society, vol. 24, pp. 159-163, 2009.
- Z.-Y. Zhang, G.-Q. Xu, and X.-L. Shen, "Analyzing and designing of dissipation system of inverter," Tongji Daxue Xuebao/Journal of Tongji University, vol. 32, pp. 775-778, 2004.