- Volume 12 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Analysis on the Operation of a Charging Station with Battery Energy Storage System
- Zhu, Lei (School of Economics and Business Administration, Chongqing University) ;
- Pu, Yongjian (School of Economics and Business Administration, Chongqing University)
- Received : 2017.04.19
- Accepted : 2017.05.28
- Published : 2017.09.01
Fossil oil, as the main energy of transportation, is destined to be exhausted. The electrification of transportation is a sustainable solution to the energy crisis, since electric power could be acquired from the inexhaustible sun, wind and water. Among all the problems that hinder the development of Electric Vehicle (EV) industry, charging issue might be the most prominent one. In this paper, the service process of a charging station with Battery Energy Storage System (BESS) is analyzed by means of
Supported by : Ministry of Science and Technology of the People's Republic of China
- Z. Duan, B. Gutierrez, L. Wang, "Forecasting Plug-In Electric Vehicle Sales and the Diurnal Recharging Load Curve," IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 527-535, Jan. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2013.2294436
- R. Garcia-Valle, J.G. Vlachogiannis, "Letter to the Editor: Electric Vehicle Demand Model for Load Flow Studies," Electric Power Components and Systems, vol. 37, no. 5, pp. 577-582, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1080/15325000802599411
- S. Bae, A. Kwasinski, "Spatial and Temporal Model of Electric Vehicle Charging Demand," IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 394-403, Mar. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2011.2159278
- S. Huang, L. He, Y. Gu, K. Wood, S. Benjaafar, "Design of a Mobile Charging Service for Electric Vehicles in an Urban Environment," IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 787-798, Apr. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TITS.2014.2341695
- D. Said, S. Cherkaoui, L. Khoukhi, "Queuing Model for EVs Charging at Public Supply Stations," 9th International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference, pp. 65-70, 2013.
- D. Said, S. Cherkaoui, L. Khoukhi, "Multi-priority Queuing for Electric Vehicles Charging at Public Supply Stations with Price Variation," Wireless Communications & Mobile Computing, vol. 15, no. 6, pp. 1049-1065, Apr. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1002/wcm.2508
- C. Corchero, M. Cruz-Zambrano, F.-J. Heredia, J.-I. Cairo, L. Igualada-Gonzalez, A. Romero-Ortega, "Optimal Sizing of Microgrids: A Fast Charging Station Case," 9th International Conference on the European Energy Market, 2012.
- E. Munoz, E. Ruspini, "Using Fuzzy Queuing Theory to Analyze the Impact of Electric Vehicles on Power Networks," 2012 IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems, 2012.
- E. Munoz, E. H. Ruspini, "Simulation of Fuzzy Queueing Systems with a Variable Number of Servers, Arrival Rate, and Service Rate," IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 892-903, Aug. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TFUZZ.2013.2278407
- A. Janjic, Z. Petrusic, "Optimal Number of Electric Vehicles in Electricity Distribution Company," 2014 IEEE International Energy Conference, pp. 1397-1402, 2014.
- A. Janjic, "Two-step Algorithm for the Optimization of Vehicle Fleet in Electricity Distribution Company," International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, vol. 65, pp. 307-315, Feb. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2014.10.023
- U. C. Chukwu, S. M. Mahajan, "V2G Electric Power Capacity Estimation and Ancillary Service Market Evaluation," IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting, 2011.
- U. C. Chukwu, S. M. Mahajan, "V2G Parking Lot with PV Rooftop for Capacity Enhancement of a Distribution System," IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 119-127, Jan. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2013.2274601
- H. Yudai, K. Osamu, "A Safety Stock Problem in Battery Switch Stations for Electric Vehicles," Lecture Notes in Operations Research, vol. 10, pp. 332-339, 2009.
- G. Li, X.-P. Zhang, "Modeling of Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle Charging Demand in Probabilistic Power Flow Calculations," IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 492-499, Mar. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2011.2172643
- M. Alizadeh, A. Scaglione, J. Davies, K. S. Kurani, "A Scalable Stochastic Model for the Electricity Demand of Electric and Plug-In Hybrid Vehicles," IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 848-860, Mar. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2013.2275988
- Q. Gong, S. Midlam-Mohler, E. Serra, V. Marano, G. Rizzoni, "PEV Charging Control for a Parking Lot Based on Queuing Theory," Proceedings of the American Control Conference, pp. 1124-1129, 2013.
- C. Jin, X. Sheng, P. Ghosh, "Energy efficient Algorithms for Electric Vehicle Charging with Intermittent Renewable Energy Sources," IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting, 2013.
- S. J. Baek, D. Kim, S.-J. Oh, J.-A. Jun, "A Queuing Model with Random Interruptions for Electric Vehicle Charging Systems," IEEE International Conference on Consumer Electronics, pp. 679-680, 2011.
- P. Han, J. Wang, Y. Han, Y. Li, "Resident Plug-In Electric Vehicle Charging Modeling and Scheduling Mechanism in the Smart Grid," Mathematical Problems in Engineering, 2014.
- P. Han, J. Wang, Y. Han, Q. Zhao, "A Novel Coordinative Resident Electric Vehicle Charging Mechanism," Asia-Pacific Power and Energy Engineering Conference, 2012.
- A. Y. S. Lam, K.-C. Leung, V. O. K. Li, "Capacity Management of Vehicle-to-Grid System for Power Regulation Services," 2012 IEEE 3rd International Conference on Smart Grid Communications, pp. 442-447, 2012.
- S.-Y. Ge, L. Feng, H. Liu, L. Wang, "The Planning of Electric Vehicle Charging Stations in the Urban Area," Advances in Intelligent Systems Research, vol. 23, 2012.
- W. Liu, L. Liu, S. Li, B. Lu, "Device Configuration and Investment Decision-Making of Fast Charging Station," Applied Mechanics and Materials, vol. 291-294, pp. 866-871, 2013. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.291-294.866
- G. Qiu, W. Liu, J. Zhang, "Equipment Optimization Method of Electric Vehicle Fast Charging Station Based on Queuing Theory," Applied Mechanics and Materials, vol. 291-294, pp. 872-877, 2013. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.291-294.872
- K. Kim, C. S. Song, G. Byeon, H. Jung, H. Kim, G. Jang, "Power Demand and Total Harmonic Distortion Analysis for an EV Charging Station Concept Utilizing a Battery Energy Storage System," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 8, no. 5, pp. 1234-1242, Sep. 2013. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2013.8.5.1234
- B. D. Williams, T. E. Lipman, "Strategy for Overcoming Cost Hurdles of Plug-In-Hybrid Battery in California, Integrating Post-Vehicle Secondary Use Values," Transportation Research Record, no. 2191, pp. 59-66, 2010.
- K. Richa, C. W. Babbitt, G. Gaustad, X. Wang, "A Future Perspective on Lithium-ion Battery Waste Flows from Electric Vehicles," Resources Conservation and Recycling, vol. 83, pp. 63-76, Feb. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resconrec.2013.11.008
- C. Heymans, S. B. Walker, S. B. Young, M. Fowler, "Economic Analysis of Second Use Electric Vehicle Batteries for Residential Energy Storage and Loadlevelling," Energy Policy, vol. 71, pp. 22-30, Aug. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2014.04.016
- J. Zhao, S. Kucuksari, E. Mazhari, Y.-J. Son, "Integrated Analysis of High-Penetration PV and PHEV with Energy Storage and Demand Response," Applied Energy, vol. 112, pp. 35-51, Dec. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2013.05.070
- N. H. Tehrani, G. B. Shrestha, P. Wang, "Optimized Power Trading of a PEV Charging Station with Energy Storage System," 2012 Conference on Power and Energy, pp. 305-310, 2012.
- T. D. Atmaja, Amin, "Energy Storage System Using Battery and Ultracapacitor on Mobile Charging Station for Electric Vehicle," 2014 Sustainable Energy for Green Mobility, vol. 68, pp. 429-437, 2015.
- I.S. Bayram, G. Michailidis, M. Devetsikiotis, S. Bhattacharya, A. Chakrabortty, F. Granelli, "Local Energy Storage Sizing in Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle Charging Stations Under Blocking Probability Constraints," 2011 IEEE International Conference on Smart Grid Communications, 2011.
- I.S. Bayram, G. Michailidis, M. Devetsikiotis, B. Parkhideh, "Strategies for Competing Energy Storage Technologies for in DC Fast Charging Stations," 2012 IEEE Third International Conference on Smart Grid Communications, pp. 1-6, 2012.
- G. Jiang, X. Zeng, S. Xiao, M. Chen, S. Pu, N. Zhou, "Research on Control Strategy of Energy Storage Buffer System for Electric Vehicle Smart Charging Station," 2012 China International Conference on Electricity Distribution, 2012.
- C. King, W. Griggs, F. Wirth, K. Quinn, R. Shorten, "Alleviating a Form of Electric Vehicle Range Anxiety through On-Demand Vehicle Access," International Journal of Control, vol. 88, no. 4, pp. 717-728, Apr. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207179.2014.971521
- T. Carpenter, S. Keshav, J. Wong, "Sizing Finite-Population Vehicle Pools," IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 1134-1144, Jun. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TITS.2013.2293918
- V. G. Kulkarni, Modeling and Analysis of Stochastic Systems, 2nd ed., 2010, pp. 242, 290-292, 295-296.
- S. Asmussen, Ruin Probabilities, 2000, pp. 103-106.
- U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration, 2009 National Household Travel Survey. [Online]. Available: http://nhts.ornl.gov.
- H. Wang, L. Wu, C. Hou, M. Ouyang, "A GPS-Based Research on Driving Range and Patterns of Private Passenger Vehicle in Beijing," 2013 World Electric Vehicle Symposium and Exhibition, Nov. 2013.
- Z. Lin, "Optimizing and Diversifying Electric Vehicle Driving Range for U.S. Drivers," Transportation Science, vol. 48, no. 4, pp. 635-650, Nov. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1287/trsc.2013.0516
- C. Hou, M. Ouyang, H. Wang, L. Xu, "An Assessment of PHEV Energy Management Strategies Using Driving Range Data Collected in Beijing," 2013 World Electric Vehicle Symposium and Exhibition, Nov. 2013.
- N. Jakobsson, T. Gnann, P. Plotz, F. Sprei, S. Karlsson, "Are Multi-Car Households Better Suited for Battery Electric Vehicles?-Driving Patterns and Economics in Sweden and Germany," Transportation Research Part C Emerging Technologies, vol. 65, pp. 1-15, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trc.2016.01.018
- P. Plotz, N. Jakobsson, F. Sprei, S. Karlsson, "On the Distribution of Individual Daily Vehicle Driving Distances," European Electric Vehicle Congress, 2014.