- Volume 12 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of a Three-Phase Three-Level ZVZCS DC-DC Converter Using Phase-Shift PWM Strategy
- Kongwirat, Thammachat (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, King Mongkut's Institute of Technology Ladkrabang) ;
- Jangwanitlert, Anuwat (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, King Mongkut's Institute of Technology Ladkrabang)
- Received : 2017.02.04
- Accepted : 2017.05.28
- Published : 2017.09.01
This paper presents the evaluation of a three-phase three-level DC-DC converter which achieves the soft switching condition for all switches in the circuit and uses the phase-shift PWM strategy to adjust electric power at the output side. According to the analysis, the operation modes can be categorized into two cases: in the first case, where the phase shift angle is less than 120 degrees and in the second case, where the phase shift angle is more than 120 degrees. The outer switches of the circuit operate under ZVS condition and the inner switches operate under ZVZCS condition. It has been discovered that under ZCS condition of the inner switches, when the blocking capacitors decrease, they make the voltage across the blocking capacitor higher so the current reduce rapidly. A three-phase three-level DC-DC converter has a maximum efficiency of 93.5% when its load is of 5.7 kW. The results from the experiment have been compared to the results obtained by the
Three-phase three-level;ZVZCS;Blocking capacitor
- Ryu, Seung-Hee; Ahn, Jung-Hoon; Cho, Kwang-Seung; Lee, Byoung-Kuk, "Single-Switch ZVZCS Quasi-Resonant CLL Isolated DC-DC Converter for 32'' LCD TV," Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 1646-1654, July, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2015.10.4.1646
- Fuxin Liu, Jiajia Yan, and Xinbo Ruan, "Zero-Voltage and Zero-Current-Switching PWM Combined Three-Level DC/DC Converter," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 1644-1654, May, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2031950
- X. Wu, X. Xie, Z. Qian, and R. Zhao,"Low voltage and current stress ZVZCS full bridge DC-DC converter using center tapped rectifier reset," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 55, no.3, pp. 1470-1477, March, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2007.911921
- Karim Soltanzadeh, Majid Dehghani and Hosein Khalilian, "Analysis, Design and Implementation of an Improved ZVZCS-PWM Forward converter," Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology, vol. 9, No.1, pp.197-204, January, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.1.197
- Bor-Ren Lin, and Jia-Sheng Chen, "Hybrid ZVS Converter with a Wide ZVS Range and a Low Circulating Current," Journal of Power Electronics, vol. 15, no.3, pp. 652-659, May, 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.3.652
- Bor-Ren Lin, and Jeng-Yu Chen, "Analysis of a New Parallel Three-Level Zero-Voltage Switching DC Converter," Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology, vol. 10, no.1, pp. 128-137, January, 2015. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2015.10.1.128
- Il-Oun Lee, "A Hybrid PWM-Resonant DC-DC Converter for Electric Vehicle Battery Charger Applications," Journal of Power Electronics, vol. 15, no.5, pp. 1158-1167, September, 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.5.1158
- Yong Shi, "Full ZVS Load Range Diode Clamped Three-level DC-DC Converter with Secondary Modulation," Journal of Power Electronics, vol. 16, no.1, pp. 93-101, January, 2016. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2016.16.1.93
- Zhijian Yin, Jiefeng Hu, Henry Shu-hung Chung, and Adrian Ioinovici, "A ZCS-PWM Voltage-Driven Three-Level Converter With a Secondary-Side Simple Soft-Switching Snubber," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 63, no.12, pp. 7542-7552, December, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2016.2592867
- J. W. Baek, C. Y. Jung, J. G. Cho, D. W. Yoo, and G. H. Rim, "Novel zero-voltage and zero-currentswitching (ZVZCS) full bridge PWM converter with low output current ripple," Telecommunications Energy Conference, pp. 257-262, October, 1997.
- Tiecheng Sun, Jianhui Guo, Rui Li, and Lei Fu, "ZVZCS Three-Level DC-DC Converter Using Passive Clamping Circuit," IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC), pp. 1-4, September, 2008.
- Hang-Seok Choi, Jung-Won Kim, and Bo Hyung Cho, "Novel Zero-Voltage and Zero-Current-Switching (ZVZCS) Full-Bridge PWM Converter Using Coupled Output Inductor," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 17, pp. 641-648, September, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2002.802179
- Hang-Seok Choi, J. H. Lee, B. H. Cho, and J. W. Kim, "Analysis and design considerations of zero-voltage and zero-current-switching (ZVZCS) full-bridge PWM converters," Annual IEEE Power Electronics Specialists Conference, vol. 4, pp. 1835-1840, June, 2002.
- Thammachat Kongwirat, and Anuwat Jangwanitlert, "A Novel Three-Phase Three-Level ZVZCS DCDC Converter Using Phase-Shift PWM Strategy," International Conference on Electrical Engineering/ Electronics, Computer, Telecommunications and Information Technology (ECTI-CON), pp. 1-4, May, 2014.
- Joseph Alexander Carr, Brian Rowden, and Juan Carlos Balda, "A Three-Level Full-Bridge Zero-Voltage Zero-Current Switching Converter With a Simplified Switching Scheme," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol.24, pp. 329-338, February, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2008.2007211
- F. Canales, P. Barbosa, and F. C. Lee, "A Zero-Voltage and Zero-Current Switching Three-Level DC/DC Converter," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 6, pp. 898-904, January, 2003.
- Byeong-Mun Song, R. McDowell, A. Bushnell, and J. Ennis, "A three-level DC-DC converter with wideinput voltage operations for ship-electric-powerdistribution systems," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, vol.32, pp. 1856-1863, October, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPS.2004.835485
- Byeong-Mun Song, R. McDowell, and A. Bushnell, "A three-level DC-DC converter with wide-input voltage operations for ship-electric-power-distribution systems," Pulsed Power Conference-2003, vol. 2, pp. 1309-1312, June, 2003.
- Yanbo Che, Yage Ma, Shaoyun Ge, and Dong Zhu, "Digital Control of Secondary Active Clamp Phase-Shifted Full-Bridge Converters," Journal of Power Electronics, vol. 14, no.3, pp. 421-431, May, 2014. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2014.14.3.421
- Yong-Chul Lee, Hong-Kwon Kim, Jin-Ho Kim, and Sung-Soo Hong, "A Study on Implementing a Phase-Shift Full-Bridge Converter Employing an Asynchronous Active Clamp Circuit," Journal of Power Electronics, vol. 14, no.3, pp. 413-420, May, 2014. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2014.14.3.413
- Xiu-Xing Yin, Yong-Gang Lin, Wei Li, Hong-Wei Liu, and Ya-Jing Gu, "Fuzzy-Logic Sliding-Mode Control Strategy for Extracting Maximum Wind Power," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, vol. 30, no.4, pp. 1267-1278, December, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2015.2422211
- Xiu-xing Yin, Yong-gang Lin, Wei Li, Ya-jing Gu, Peng-fei Lei, and Hong-wei Liu, "Adaptive backstepping pitch angle control for wind turbine based on a new electro-hydraulic pitch system," International Journal of Control, vol. 88, no.11, pp. 2316-2326, November, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207179.2015.1041554
- Xiu-Xing Yin, Yong-Gang Lin, and Wei Li, "Operating Modes and Control Strategy for Megawatt-Scale Hydro-Viscous Transmission-Based Continuously Variable Speed Wind Turbines," IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, vol. 6, no.4, pp. 1553-1564, October, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2015.2455872
- Xiu-xing Yin, Yong-gang Lin, and Wei Li, "Predictive pitch control of an electro-hydraulic digital pitch system for wind turbines based on the extreme learning machine" Transactions of the Institute of Measurement and Control, vol. 38, no.11, pp. 1392-1400, November, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1177/0142331215589610
- Xiu-xing Yin, Yong-gang Lin, Wei Li, and Hai-gang Gu, "Hydro-viscous transmission based maximum power extraction control for continuously variable speed wind turbine with enhanced efficiency," Journal of Renewable Energy, vol. 87, pp. 646-655, March, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2015.10.032
- Xiu-xing Yin, Yong-gang Lin, Wei Li, Hang-ye Ye, Ya-jing Gu, and Hong-wei Liu, "Reproduction of five degree-of-freedom loads for wind turbine using equispaced electro-hydraulic actuators," Journal of Renewable Energy, vol. 83, pp. 626-637, November, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2015.05.007
- D. V. Ghodke, B. G. F. Fernandes, and K. Chatargee, "Three-Phase/Level, Zero Voltage and Zero Current, Phase Shift PWM DC-DC Converter for High Power Application," Power Electronics Specialists Conference, pp. 368-374, June, 2005.
- Bor-Ren Lin, and Chih-Chieh Chen, "New Three-Level PWM DC/DC Converter-Analysis, Design and Experiments," Journal of Power Electronics, vol. 14, no.1, pp. 30-39, January, 2014. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2014.14.1.30
- Jilong Liu, Fei Xiao, Weiming Ma, Xuexin Fan, and Wei Chen, "PWM-Based Sliding Mode Controller for Three-Level Full-Bridge DC-DC Converter that Eliminates Static Output Voltage Error," Journal of Power Electronics, vol. 15, no.2, pp. 378-388, March, 2015. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2015.15.2.378
- Taizhi Zhang, Junyu Fu, Qinsong Qian, Weifeng Sun, and Shengli Lu, "Dead-Time for Zero-Voltage-Switching in Battery Chargers with the Phase-Shifted Full-Bridge Topology: Comprehensive Theoretical Analysis and Experimental Verification," Journal of Power Electronics, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 425-435, March, 2016. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2016.16.2.425