- Volume 12 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Efficiency Improvement of Synchronous Boost Converter with Dead Time Control for Fuel Cell-Battery Hybrid System
- Kim, Do-Yun (Dept. of vehicle components company, LG Electronics) ;
- Won, Il-Kuen (Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University) ;
- Lee, Jung-Hyo (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Kunsan National University) ;
- Won, Chung-Yuen (Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Sungkyunkwan University)
- Received : 2016.09.09
- Accepted : 2017.05.28
- Published : 2017.09.01
In this paper, optimal control of the fuel cell and design of a high-efficiency power converter is implemented to build a high-priced fuel cell system with minimum capacity. Conventional power converter devices use a non-isolated boost converter for high efficiency while the battery is charged, and reduce its conduction loss by using MOSFETs instead of diodes. However, the efficiency of the boost converter decreases, since overshoot occurs because there is a moment when the body diode of the MOSFET is conducted during the dead time and huge loss occurs when the dead time for the maximum-power-flowing state is used in the low-power-flowing state. The method proposed in this paper is to adjust the dead time of boost and rectifier switches by predicting the power flow to meet the maximum efficiency in every load condition. After analyzing parasite components, the stability and efficiency of the high-efficiency boost converter is improved by predictive compensation of the delay component of each part, and it is proven by simulation and experience. The variation in switching delay times of each switch of the full-bridge converter is compensated by falling time compensation, a control method of PWM, and it is also proven by simulation and experience.
Predictive control of dead time;Synchronous boost converter;High-efficiency fuel cell converter
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea(NRF), Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP)
- G. Graditi; G. Adinolfi, "Comparative Analysis of Syn-chronous Rectification Boost and Diode Rectification Boost Converter for DMPPT Applications," IEEE International Symposium, Industrial Electronics, Jun 2011.
- Nguyen Van Sang, "Non-isolated Boost Charger for the Li-Ion Batteries Suitable for Fuel Cell Powered Laptop Computers," J. of Power Electronics, Vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 31-39, 2013. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2013.13.1.31
- R. M. Schupbach, J. C. Balda, "Comparing DC-DC Converters for Power Management in Hybrid Electric-Vehicles," IEMDC, pp. 1369-1374, Jun. 2003.
- Jong-Soo Kim, Gyu-Yeong Choe, Byoung-Kuk Lee, Jae-Sun Shim, “Advanced Interchangeable Dynamic Simulation Model for the Optimal Design of a Fuel Cell Power Conditioning System,” J. of Electrical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 561-570, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2010.5.4.561
- Tai-Sik Hwang and Sung-Yeul Park, "Seamless Boost Converter Control Under the Critical Boundary Condition for a Fuel Cell Power Conditioning System," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 27, no. 8, Aug 2012.
- Jong-Soo Kim, Gyu-Yeong Choe, "An Optimal Design Methodology of an Interleaved Boost Converter for Fuel Cell Applications," J. of Electrical Engineering & Technology, pp. 561-570, 2010.
- Boumediene ALLAOUA, Abdellah LAOUFI "Application of a Robust Fuzzy Sliding Mode Controller Synthesis on a Buck-Boost DC-DC Converter Power Supply," J. of Electrical Engineering & Technology Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 67-75, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2011.6.1.067
- Sang-Ho Moon, Sung-Tak Jou, Kyo-Beum Lee "Performance Improvement of a Bidirectional DC-DC Converter for Battery Chargers using an LCLC Filter," J. of Electrical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 560-573, 2015. 3. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2015.10.2.560
- Bong-Gi You, Jeong-Min Ko, Jun-Hyung Kim, Byoung-Kuk Lee, "Proposal of Potted Inductor with Enhanced Thermal Transfer for High Power Boost Converter in HEVs," J. of Electrical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp. 1075-1080, 2015. 5. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2015.10.3.1075
- Anbukumar Kavitha, Govindarajan Uma "Resonant Parametric Perturbation Method to Control Chaos in Current Mode Controlled DC-DC Buck-Boost Converter," J. of Electrical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 171-178, 2010.3. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2010.5.1.171
- Vijayalakshmi, S, Sree Renga Raja, T "Time_Domain_ Based_Digital_Controller_for_Buck-Boost_ Converter," J. of Electrical Engineering & Technology, Vol. 9, No. 5, pp. 1551-1561, 2014.9. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.5.1551
- F. Laurencelle, R. Chahine, J. Hamelin, K. Agbossou, M. Fournier, T. K. Beso, A. Laperriere. "Characterization of a Ballard MK5-E Proton Exchange Membrane Fuel Cell Stack," Fuel Cells Journal, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 66-71, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1002/1615-6854(200105)1:1<66::AID-FUCE66>3.0.CO;2-3
- Haiping Xu, Gang Ma, Changfu Sun, Xuhui Wen, Li Kong. "Implementation of a bi-directional DC-DC converter in FCEV," Electrical Machines and Systems, pp 375-378, Nov, 2003.
- Stefan Waffler, Johann W. Kolar, "A Novel Low-Loss Modulation Strategy for High-Power Bidirectional Buck+Boost Converters," IEEE Trans. Power Electron, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 1589-1599, Jun. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2015881
- Abdul Motin Howlader, Naomitsu Urasaki, "Optimal PAM Control for a Buck Boost DC-DC Converter with a Wide-Speed-Range of Operation for a PMSM," J. of power electronics, Vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 491-497, 2010. https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2010.10.5.491