- Volume 12 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Analysis of a Symmetric Active Cell Balancer with a Multi-winding Transformer
- Jeon, Seonwoo (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Kim, Myungchin (School of Electrical Engineering, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Bae, Sungwoo (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Hanyang University)
- Received : 2016.11.01
- Accepted : 2017.01.03
- Published : 2017.09.01
This paper analyzes a symmetric active cell balancer for a battery management system. The considered cell balancer uses a forward converter in which the circuit structure is symmetric. This cell-balancing method uses fewer switches and is simpler than the previously proposed active cell-balancing circuits. Active power switches of this cell-balancing circuit operate simultaneously with the same pulse width modulation signals. Therefore, this cell-balancing circuit requires less time to be balanced than a previous bidirectional-forward-converter-based cell balancer. This paper analyzes the operational principles and modes of this cell balancer with computer-based circuit simulation results as well as experimental results in which each unbalanced cell is equalized with this cell balancer. The maximum power transfer efficiency of the investigated cell balancer was 87.5% from the experimental results. In addition to the experimental and analytical results, this paper presents the performance of this symmetric active cell-balancing method.
Active cell balancer;Forward converter;Multi-winding transformer;Series-connected battery cells
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF), Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP)
- J. K. Na, K. S. Na, H. J. Lee, Y. S. Ko and C. Y. Won, "Power conversion system control method for hybrid ESS," 2014 IEEE Conference and Expo Transportation Electrification Asia-Pacific (ITEC Asia-Pacific), pp. 1-5, Aug. 2014.
- J. Hongxin, F. Yang, Z. Yu and H. Weiguo, "Design of Hybrid Energy Storage Control System for Wind Farms Based on Flow Battery and Electric Double-Layer Capacitor," in Proc. of Power and Energy Engineering Conference (APPEEC), pp. 1-6, Mar. 2010.
- Y. Yang, M. Yao and Q. Wang, "Research on dynamic impedance characteristics of hybrid vehicle battery," in Proc. of Industrial Technology (ICIT), 2014 IEEE International Conference on, pp. 810-815. 2014.
- A. A. Hussein, "Experimental modeling and analysis of lithium-ion battery temperature dependence," 2015 IEEE Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), pp. 1084-1088. 2015.
- G. Eason, B. Noble, and I. N. Sneddon, "On certain integrals of Lipschitz-Hankel type involving products of Bessel functions," Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. London, vol. A247, pp. 529-551, Apr. 1955.
- A. Affanni, A. Bellini, G. Franceschini, P. Guglielmi and C. Tassoni, "Battery choice and management for new-generation electric vehicles," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 1343-1349, Oct. 2005.
- H. S. Park, C. H. Kim, K. B. Park, G.W. Moon and J. H. Lee, "Design of a Charge Equalizer Based on Battery Modularization," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., vol. 58, no. 7, pp. 3216-3223, Sept. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TVT.2009.2015331
- B. Lindemark "Individual cell voltage equalizers (ICE) for reliable battery performance," in Proc. 13th Annu. Int. Telecommun. Energy Conf., pp. 196-201. Nov. 1991.
- N. H. Kutkut, H. L. N. Wiegman, D. M. Divan and D. W. Novotny, "Design considerations for charge equalization of an electric vehicle battery system," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 28-35, Feb. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/28.740842
- M. Tang and T. Stuart, "Selective buck-boost equalizer for series battery packs," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., vol. 36, no. 1, pp. 201-211, Jan. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/7.826322
- Y. S. Lee and G. T. Cheng, "Quasi-resonant zerocurrent-switching bidirectional converter for battery equalization applications," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 1213-1224, Sept. 2006.
- B. T. Kuhn, G. E. Pitel and P. T. Krein, "Electrical properties and equalization of lithium-ion cells in automotive applications," in Proc. IEEE Vehicle Power Propuls. Conf., pp. 55-59, Sept. 2005.
- N. H. Kutkut, "Non-dissipative current diverter using a centralized multi-winding transformer," in Proc. 28th IEEE Power Electron. Spec. Conf., pp. 648-654, Jun. 1997.
- S. T. Hung, D. C. Hopkins and C. R. Mosling, "Extension of battery life via charge equalization control," IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol. 40, no. 1, pp. 96-104, Feb. 1993.
- C. S. Moo, Y. C. Hsieh and I. S. Tsai, "Charge equalization for series-connected batteries," IEEE Trans. Aerosp. Electron. Syst., vol. 39, no. 2, pp. 704-710, April. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TAES.2003.1207276
- N. H. Kutkut, "A modular non dissipative current diverter for EV battery charge equalization," in Proc. 13th IEEE Annu. Appl. Power Electron. Conf. Expo., pp.686-690, Feb. 1998.
- J. W. Kim, J. W. Shin and J. I Ha, "Cell balancing control using adjusted filters in flyback converter with single switch," 2013 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), pp. 287-291, Sept. 2013.
- S. W. Moore and P. J. Schneider, "A review of cell equalization methods for lithium-ion and lithium polymer battery systems," in Proc. SAE World Congr., Detroit, MI, Doc. no. 2001-01-0959. Mar. 2001.
- Y. Ye, K. W. E. Cheng and Y.P.B Yeung, "Zero-Current Switching Switched-Capacitor Zero-Voltage-Gap Automatic Equalization System for Series Battery String," IEEE Trans. Power Electron., vol. 27, no. 7, pp. 3234-3242, Jul. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2011.2181868
- M. Caspar, T. Eiler and S. Hohmann, "Comparison of Active Battery Balancing Systems," 2014 IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference (VPPC), Coimbra, 2014, pp. 1-8.
- S. Jeon, J. J. Yun and S. Bae, "Active cell balancing circuit for series-connected battery cells," 2015 9th International Conference on Power Electronics and ECCE Asia (ICPE-ECCE Asia), Seoul, 2015, pp. 1182-1187.
- J. Yun, T. Yeo and J. Park, "High efficiency active cell balancing circuit with soft-switching technique for series-connected battery string," Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), 2013 Twenty-Eighth Annual IEEE, Long Beach, CA, 2013, pp. 3301-3304.
- A Modular Cell Balancer Based on Multi-Winding Transformer and Switched-Capacitor Circuits for a Series-Connected Battery String in Electric Vehicles vol.8, pp.8, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/app8081278