- Volume 12 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Design and Dynamic Performance Analysis of a Stand-alone Microgrid - A Case Study of Gasa Island, South Korea
- Husein, Munir (School of Electrical Engineering, Kookmin University) ;
- Hau, Vu Ba (School of Electrical Engineering, Kookmin University) ;
- Chung, Il-Yop (School of Electrical Engineering, Kookmin University) ;
- Chae, Woo-Kyu (Korea Electric Power Research Institute (KEPRI)) ;
- Lee, Hak-Ju (Korea Electric Power Research Institute (KEPRI))
- Received : 2017.03.02
- Accepted : 2017.05.29
- Published : 2017.09.01
This paper presents the design and dynamic analysis of a stand-alone microgrid with high penetration of renewable energy. The optimal sizing of various components in the microgrid is obtained considering two objectives: minimization of levelized cost of energy (LCOE) and maximization of renewable energy penetration. Integrating high renewable energy in stand-alone microgrid requires special considerations to assure stable dynamic performance, we therefore develop voltage and frequency control method by coordinating Battery Energy Storage System (BESS) and diesel generators. This approach was applied to the design and development of Gasa Island microgrid in South Korea. The microgrid consists of photovoltaic panels, wind turbines, lithium-ion batteries and diesel generators. The dynamic performance of the microgrid during different load and weather variations is verified by simulation studies. Results from the real microgrid were then presented and discussed. Our approach to the design and control of microgrid will offer some lessons in future microgrid design.
Microgrid;Economic analysis;Dynamic performance;Voltage control;Frequency control
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF), Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP), Kookmin University.
- S. K. Singal, R.P. Singh, "Rural electrification of a remote island by renewable energy sources," Renewable Energy, vol. 32, pp. 2491-2501, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2006.12.013
- D. Neves, C.A. Silva, S. Connors, "Design and implementation of a hybrid renewable energy systems on micro-communities: A review of case studies," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Review, vol. 31, pp. 935-946, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2013.12.047
- W. Zhou, C. Lou, Z. Li, L. Lu, and H. Yang, "Current status of research on optimum sizing of stand-alone hybrid solar-wind power generation systems," Applied Energy, vol. 87, pp. 380-389, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2009.08.012
- D. Connolly, H. Lund, B. V. Mathiesen, and M. Leahy, "A review of computer tools for analyzing the integration of renewable energy into various energy systems," Applied Energy, vol. 87, pp. 1059-1082, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2009.09.026
- S. Sinha, S.S. Chandel, "Review of software tools for hybrid renewable energy systems," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Review, vol.32, pp. 192-205, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2014.01.035
- B. Zhao et al, "Optimal sizing, operating strategy and operational experience of a stand-alone microgrid on Dongfushan Island," Applied Energy, vol. 113, pp. 1656-1666, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2013.09.015
- A. Malheiro, P.M. Castro, R.M. Lima, A. Estanqueiro, "Integrated sizing and scheduling of wind/PV/diesel/ battery isolated systems," Renewable Energy, vol. 83, pp. 646-657, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2015.04.066
- G. Giatrakos, T. Tsoutsos, P. Mouchtaropoulos, G. Naxakis, and G. Stavrakakis, "Sustainable energy planning based on a stand-alone hybrid renewable energy/hydrogen power system: Application in Karpathos Island, Greece," Renewable Energy, vol. 34, pp. 2562-2570, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2009.05.019
- O. Hafez and K. Bhattacharya, "Optimal planning and design of a renewable energy based supply system for microgrids," Renewable Energy, vol. 45, pp. 7-15, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2012.01.087
- T. Senjyu, D. Hayashi, A. Yona, N. Urasaki, and T. Funabashi, "Optimal configuration of power generating systems in isolated island with renewable energy," Renew Energy, vol.32, pp.1917-1933, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2006.09.003
- R. Atia, and N. Yamada, "Sizing and Analysis of Renewable Energy and Battery Systems in Residential Micro-grids," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, vol. 7, pp. 1204-1213, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2016.2519541
- M. Stadler, M. Groissbock, G. Cardoso, and C. Marnay, "Optimizing Distributed Energy Resources and building retrofits with the strategic DER_ CAModel," Applied Energy, vol. 132, pp. 557-567, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2014.07.041
- A. Omu, R. Choudhary, and A. Boies, "Distributed energy resource system optimization using mixed integer linear programming," Energy Policy, vol. 61, pp. 249-266, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2013.05.009
- M. Barnes, et al, "Real-world microgrids-an overview," IEEE International Conference on System Engineering, 2007.
- L.C. Chang and Y.C. Yin, "Strategies for operating wind power in a similar manner of conventional power plant," IEEE Trans. Energy Conversion, vol. 24, pp. 926-934, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEC.2009.2026609
- K. Vidyanandan, and N. Senroy, "Primary frequency regulation by deloaded wind turbines using variable droop," IEEE Trans. Power System, vol. 28, pp. 837-846, 2013.
- H. Xin, et al, "A new frequency regulation strategy for photovoltaic systems without energy storage," IEEE Trans. Sustain. Energy, vol. 4, pp. 985-993, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSTE.2013.2261567
- Z. Miao, L. Xu, V.R. Disfani, and L. Fan, "An SOCBased Battery Management System for Microgrids," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, vol. 5, pp. 966-973, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2013.2279638
- I. Serban and C. Marinescu, "Control Strategy of Three-Phase Battery Energy Storage System for Frequency Support in Microgrids and with Uninterrupted Supply of Local Loads," IEEE Trans. Power Electronics, vol.29, pp.5010-5020, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2013.2283298
- Y. Xu, W. Zhang, G. Hug, S. Kar, and Z. Li, "Cooperative Control of Distributed Energy Storage Systems in Microgrid," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, vol. 6, pp. 238-248, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2014.2354033
- Y. Han, P. M. Young, and A. Jain, "Robust Control for Microgrid Frequency Deviation Reduction with Attached Storage System," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, vol. 6, pp. 557-565.
- T. Morstyn, B. Hredzak, and V.G. Agelidis, "Distributed Cooperative Control of Microgrid Storage," IEEE Trans. Power Systems, vol. 30, pp. 2780-2789, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2014.2363874
- P. Lilliental, T. Lambart, and G. Paul, Integration of Alternative Sources of Energy, IEEE-Wiley Press.
- KEPRI, Final Report for Development of Convergence and Integration Technology for Renewable-Based Energy System and Its Grid Interconnection, KEPCO, Daejeon, Korea, 2015
- W. Chae, H. Lee, J. Won, J. Park, and J. Kim, "Design and Field Tests of an Inverted Based Remote Micro-Grid on a Korean Island," Energies, vol. 8, pp. 8193-8210, 2015. https://doi.org/10.3390/en8088193
- P. Kundur, Power System Stability and Control, McGraw-Hill 1994.
- C. Zhu, X. Li, L. Song, and L. Xiang, "Development of a theoretically based thermal model for lithium-ion battery pack," Journal of Power Sources, vol. 223, pp. 155-164, 2012.
- J. Rocabert, A. Luna, F. Blaabjerg, and P. Rodriguez, "Control of power converters in AC microgrids," IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, vol. 27, pp. 4734-4749, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2199334
- P. Krause, Analysis of Electric Machinery, McGraw-Hill 1986.
- IEEE Standard Definitions for Excitation Systems for Synchronous Machines, 2007
- H. Rauschenbach, Solar Cell Array Design Handbook, New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold 1980.
- G. E. Ahmad, M. Hussein, and H. Ghetany, "Theoretical analysis and experimental verification of PV modules," Renewable Energy, vol. 28, pp. 1159-1168, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-1481(02)00228-8
- D. Sera, R. Teodorescu, and P. Rodriguez, "PV panel model based on data sheet values," in Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Ind. Electron., pp. 2392-2396, 2007.
- C. Yoo, I. Chung, H. Lee, and S. Hong, "Intelligent control of battery energy storage for multiagent based microgrid energy management," Energies, vol. 6, pp. 4956-4979, 2013 https://doi.org/10.3390/en6104956
- P. Rodriguez, J. Pou, J. Bergas, J. Candela, R. Burgos, and D. Boroyevich, "Decoupled Double Synchronous Reference Frame PLL for Power Converters Control," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, vol. 22, pp. 584-592, 2007.
- C. Yoo, I. Chung, H. Yoo, and S. Hong, "A Grid Voltage Measurement Method for Wind Power Systems during Grid Fault Conditions," Energies, vol. 7, pp. 7732-7745, 2014. https://doi.org/10.3390/en7117732