- Volume 12 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Fault Location for Incomplete-Journey Double-Circuit Transmission Lines on Same Tower Based on Identification of Fault Branch
- Wang, Shoupeng (School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, North China Electric Power University) ;
- Zhao, Dongmei (School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, North China Electric Power University) ;
- Shang, Liqun (School of Electrical and Control Engineering, Xi'an University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2017.01.08
- Accepted : 2017.05.11
- Published : 2017.09.01
This paper analyses the characteristics of incomplete-journey double-circuit transmission lines on the same tower formed by single-circuit lines and double-circuit lines, and then presents a fault location algorithm based on identification of fault branch. With the relationship between the three-phase system and the double-circuit line system, a phase-mode transformation matrix for double-circuit lines can be derived. Based on the derived matrix, the double-circuit lines with faults can be decoupled, and then the fault location for an incomplete-journey double-circuit line is achieved by using modal components in the mode domain. The algorithm is divided into two steps. Firstly, the fault branch is identified by comparing the relationships of voltage amplitudes at the bonding point. Then the fault location, on the basis of the identification result, is calculated by using a two-terminal method, and only the fault distance of the actual fault branch can be obtained. There is no limit on synchronization of each terminal sampling data. The results of ATP-EMTP simulation show that the proposed algorithm can be applied within the entire line and can accurately locate faults in different fault types, fault resistances, and fault distances.
Power system;Double-circuit transmission line;Fault location;Phase-mode transformation;Fault branch
Supported by : National Natural Science Foundation of China
- H. S. Kim, S. B. Rhee, S. J. Lee, C. H. Kim, Y. S. Kim, "Analysis of Induced Voltage on Telecommunication Line in Parallel Distribution System," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 726-732, 2014. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2014.9.2.726
- C. Venkatesh, K. S. Swarup, "Steady-state Error Estimation in Distance Relay for Single Phase to Ground Fault in Series-compensated Parallel Transmission Lines," IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, vol. 8, no. 7, pp. 1318-1337, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2013.0879
- W. H. Zhang, U. Rosadi, M. S. Choi, S. J. Lee, I. Lim, "A Robust Fault Location Algorithm for Single Line-to-ground Fault in Double-circuit Transmission Systems," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 6, no. 1, pp. 1-7, 2011. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2011.6.1.001
- P. Chaiwan, N. Kang, Y. Liao, "New Accurate Fault Location Algorithm for Parallel Transmission Lines Using Local Measurements," Electric Power Systems Research, vol. 108, pp. 68-73, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2013.11.001
- G. B. Song, J. L. Suonan, Y. Z. Ge, "An Accurate Fault Location Algorithm for Parallel Transmission Lines Using One-terminal Data," International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, vol. 31, pp. 124-129, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2008.10.001
- X. Chen, Y. L. Zhu, X. H. Guo, L. Zhao, Y. F. Gao, "Dual-terminal Asynchronous Fault Location Algorithm for Two Parallel Overhead Lines on Same Pole," Electric Power Automation Equipment, vol. 36, no. 5, pp. 87-90, 2016.
- S. M. Yeo, W. H. Jang, C. H. Kim, "Algorithm for Fault Location Estimation on Transmission Lines using Second-order Difference of a Positive Sequence Current Phasor," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 499-506, 2013. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2013.8.3.499
- G. B. Song, J. Suonan, Q. Q. Xu, P. Chen, Y. Z. Ge, "Parallel Transmission Lines Fault Location Algorithm Based on Differential Component Net," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 2396-2406, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2005.852364
- C. A. Apostolopoulos, G. N. Korres, "Accurate Fault Location Algorithm for Double-circuit Series Compensated Lines Using a Limited Number of Two-end Synchronized Measurements," International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, vol. 42, pp. 495-507, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2012.03.042
- N. I. Elkalashy, T. A. Kawady, W. M. Khater, A. M.I. Taalab, "Unsynchronized Fault-Location Technique for Double-Circuit Transmission Systems Independent of Line Parameters," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 31, no. 4, pp.1591-1600, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2015.2472638
- T. Yu, C. J. Fan, Z. D. Gong, "A Study on Accurate Fault Location Algorithm for Parallel Transmission Line with a Teed Connection," International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, vol. 32, no. 6, pp. 697-703, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijepes.2010.01.003
- N. Kang, J. X. Chen, Y. Liao, "A Fault-Location Algorithm for Series-Compensated Double-Circuit Transmission Lines Using the Distributed Parameter Line Model," IEEE Transactions on Power Delivery, vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 360-367, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2014.2337306
- Z. A. Yu, M. Z. Cheng, P. Y. Guo, N. L. Tai, "A New Fault Locating of T-type Transmission Line Consisting of Four Parallel-line and Double Circuit," Power System Protection and Control, vol. 42, no. 15, pp. 8-7, 2014.
- X. Deng, "Study on Relay Protection and Fault Location New Technology for Parallel Transmission Lines on Same Tower," PhD thesis, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, 2012.
- A. T. Johns, S. Jamali, "Accurate Fault Location Technique for Power Transmission Lines," IEE Proceeding C: Generation Transmission and Distribution, vol. 137, no. 6, pp. 395-402, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-c.1990.0054
- A. T. Johns, S. K. Salman, "Digital Protection for Power Systems," Peter Peregrinus Ltd., London, 1995.
- G. B. Song, S. Li, X. N. Kang, D. S. Zhou, Z. L. Yang, J. L. Suonan, "A Novel Phase-mode Transformation Matrix," Automation of Electric Power Systems, vol. 34, no. 14, pp. 57-60, 2007.
- H. C. Shu, Z. S. Liu, S. X. Peng, "Locating Arc Faults on Coupling Two Parallel Transmission Lines Using the Novel Phase-mode Transformation," High Voltage Engineering, vol. 35, no. 3, pp. 480-486, 2009.
- Y. Z. Ge, "Principle and Technology of New Protection Relay and Fault Location," Xi'an Jiaotong University Press, Xi'an, 2007.
- B. Mahamedi, M. Sanaye-Pasand, S. Azizi, J. G. Zhu, "Unsynchronised Fault-Location Technique for Threeterminal Lines," IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, vol. 9, no. 15, pp.2099-2107, 2015. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2015.0062
- X. Gui, Z. G. Liu, X. D. Han, Q. Q. Qian, "An Accurate Algorithm of Two-terminal Fault Location Based on the Distribution of Line Voltage along HV Transmission Line," Proceedings of the CSEE, vol. 29, no. 19, pp. 63-69, 2009.