- Volume 12 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Impacts of Demand Response from Different Sectors on Generation System Well Being
- Hassanzadeh, Muhammad Naseh (College of Engineering, Islamic Azad University, Science and Research Branch) ;
- Fotuhi-Firuzabad, Mahmud (Center of Excellence in Power System Control and Management, Electrical Engineering Department, Sharif University of Technology) ;
- Safdarian, Amir (Center of Excellence in Power System Control and Management, Electrical Engineering Department, Sharif University of Technology)
- Received : 2016.06.12
- Accepted : 2017.05.11
- Published : 2017.09.01
Recent concerns about environmental conditions have triggered the growing interest in using green energy resources. These sources of energy, however, bring new challenges mainly due to their uncertainty and intermittency. In order to alleviate the concerns on the penetration of intermittent energy resources, this paper investigates impacts of realizing demand-side potentials. Among different demand-side management programs, this paper considers demand response wherein consumers change their consumption pattern in response to changing prices. The research studies demand response potentials from different load sectors on generation system well-being. Consumers' sensitivity to time-varying prices is captured via self and cross elasticity coefficients. In the calculation of well-being indices, sequential Monte Carlo simulation approach is accompanied with fuzzy logic. Finally, IEEE-RTS is used as the test bed to conduct several simulations and the associated results are thoroughly discussed.
Demand-side management;Elasticity coefficients;Fuzzy logic;Generation system well-being;Time-varying prices
- J. Conejo, J. Morales, L. Baringo, "Real-time demand response model," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 236-242, Dec. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2010.2078843
- R. Yu, W. Yang and S. Rahadja, "A statistical Demand Price Model with its application in optimal Real time price," IEEE Trans. Smart Grid, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 1734-1742, Dec. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2012.2217400
- N. Y. Ji, L. Yu, "Optimal TOU Decision Consideration Demand Response Model," Int. Conf. on power systems and technology, IEEE 2006.
- H. Yang, J. Zhang, J. Qiu, S. Zhang, M. Lai, Z. Y. Dong, "A Practical Pricing Approach to Smart Grid Demand Response Based on Load Classification." IEEE trans. on smart grid, has been accepted, DOI: 10.1109/TSG.2016.2547883, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2016.2547883
- B. S. Reddy and J. K. Parikh, "Economic and environmental impacts of demand side management programs." Energy policy, vol. 25, no.3, pp.349-356, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-4215(96)00134-6
- C.W. Gelling, W. Barron, F.M. Betley, W.A. England, L.L.Preiss and D.E. Jones, "Integrating demand-side management in to utility planning," IEEE trans. on power syst., vol. 1, no. 3, pp.81-87, 1986.
- D. Hunang, R. Billinton, "Impacts of demand side management on bulk system reliability evaluation considering load forecast uncertainty," IEEE Elec. and Energy Conference, 2011
- D. Hunang, R. Billinton, "Effects of load sector demand side management applications in generating capacity adequacy assessment," IEEE trans. on power syst., vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 335-343, Feb. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2011.2164425
- M.V.K. Rao and C.Radhakrishna, "Development of agricultural demand side management project," IEEE Trans. On Power syst., vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 1466-1472, Nov. 1991. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.116991
- J. G. Roos and I. E. Lane, "Industrial power demand response analysis for one-part real-time pricing," IEEE Trans. On Power syst. Vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 159-164, Feb. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.651628
- S. Sofana Reka, V. Ramesh, "Industerial demand side response modelling in smart grid using stochastic consideration refinery process," Int. J. energy and building, vol. 127, pp. 84-94, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enbuild.2016.05.070
- J. Sheen, "Economic profitability analysis of demand side management program," Energy Conversion and management, vol. 46, no. 18-19, pp. 2919-2935, Nov. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2005.02.005
- F. Boshell and O. P. Veloza, "Review of developed demand side management programs including different concepts and their results," in proc. IEEE/PES Transmission and Distribution Conf. Expo. Latin America, pp. 1-7, 2008.
- A. S. Malik, "Modelling and economic analysis of DSM programs in generation planning," Int. J. Elec. power Energy syst., vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 413-419, Jun. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-0615(00)00077-6
- A. Moshari, A. Ebrahimi, and M. Fotuhi-Firuzabad, "Short-Term impact of DR programs on reliability of wind integrated power system considering demand side uncertainties," IEEE trans. On power system, vol. 31, no.3, pp2481-2490, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2015.2449778
- Daniel S. Kirschen, G. Strbac, P. Cumperayot, and D. Paiva Mendes, "Factoring the elasticity of demand in electricity prices," IEEE Trans. On power syst., vol. 15, no.2, pp. 612-617, May. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.867149
- J. E. Runnels. "Impacts of demand-side management on T and D-now and tomorrow," IEEE Trans. on power syst. vol. 2 no. 3, pp. 724-729, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.1987.4335201
- E. C. Guardia, A. R. Queiroz, J. W. M. Lima, "Estimation of electricity elasticity for demand rates and load curve in Brazil," Power and Energy Society General Meeting, IEEE, 25-29 July. 2010.
- Thimmapuram and Kim, "Consumers price elasticity of demand modeling With Economic Effects on Electricity Markets Using an Agent-Based Modelrans," IEEE Trans.On smart grid, vol. 4, no. 1, pp. 390-397, March 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TSG.2012.2234487
- P. R. Thimmapuram, J. Kim, A. Botterud, Y. Nam "Modeling and simulation of price elasticity of demand using and agent b-based model," IEEE 2010 innovative smart technologies (ISGT), 2010.
- H. Alami, G. R. Yousefi, M. Parsa Moghadam, "Demand Response Modeling Considering Interruptible/ Curtailable Loads and Capacity Market Programs," Applied Energy, no. 87, pp. 243-250, 2010.
- IEEE-PS APM Subcommittee, "IEEE reliability test system," IEEE Trans. Power App. Syst., vol. PAS-98, no. 6, pp. 2047-2054, 1979. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAS.1979.319398
- A. Sankarakrishnan and R. Billinton, "Sequential Monte Carlo simulation for composite power system reliability analysis with time varying loads," IEEE Trans. On Power Syst., vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 1540-1545, Aug. 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.466491
- A. Abiri-Jahromi, M. Fotuhi-Firuzabad and E. Abbasi, "Optimal Scheduling of Spinning Reserve Based on Well-Being Model" IEEE Trans on power syst. vol. 22, no. 4, pp.2048-2057, Nov. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2007.907378