- Volume 12 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Chance-constrained Scheduling of Variable Generation and Energy Storage in a Multi-Timescale Framework
- Tan, Wen-Shan (Centre of Electrical Energy Systems, Institute of Future Energy, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia) ;
- Abdullah, Md Pauzi (Centre of Electrical Energy Systems, Institute of Future Energy, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia) ;
- Shaaban, Mohamed (Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Universiti Malaysia Sarawak)
- Received : 2016.04.07
- Accepted : 2017.05.11
- Published : 2017.09.01
This paper presents a hybrid stochastic deterministic multi-timescale scheduling (SDMS) approach for generation scheduling of a power grid. SDMS considers flexible resource options including conventional generation flexibility in a chance-constrained day-ahead scheduling optimization (DASO). The prime objective of the DASO is the minimization of the daily production cost in power systems with high penetration scenarios of variable generation. Furthermore, energy storage is scheduled in an hourly-ahead deterministic real-time scheduling optimization (RTSO). DASO simulation results are used as the base starting-point values in the hour-ahead online rolling RTSO with a 15-minute time interval. RTSO considers energy storage as another source of grid flexibility, to balance out the deviation between predicted and actual net load demand values. Numerical simulations, on the IEEE RTS test system with high wind penetration levels, indicate the effectiveness of the proposed SDMS framework for managing the grid flexibility to meet the net load demand, in both day-ahead and real-time timescales. Results also highlight the adequacy of the framework to adjust the scheduling, in real-time, to cope with large prediction errors of wind forecasting.
Multi-timescale scheduling;Energy storage;Mixed-integer linear programming;Unit commitment;Wind generation
Supported by : Malaysian Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia (MOHE), Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM), Universiti Malaysia Sarawak (UNIMAS)
- Y. V. Makarov, C. Loutan, M. Jian, and P. de Mello, "Operational Impacts of Wind Generation on California Power Systems," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 1039-1050, May. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2009.2016364
- C. Ulam-Orgil, H.-W. Lee, and Y.-C. Kang, "Evaluation of the Wind Power Penetration Limit and Wind Energy Penetration in the Mongolian Central Power System," Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology, vol. 7, no. 6, pp. 852-858, March. 2012. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2012.7.6.852
- J.-K. Lyu, J.-H. Heo, M.-K. Kim, and J.-K. Park, "Impacts of Wind Power Integration on Generation Dispatch in Power Systems," Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology, vol. 8, no. 3, pp. 453-463, May. 2013. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2013.8.3.453
- L. Wu, M. Shahidehpour, and T. Li, "Stochastic Security-Constrained Unit Commitment," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 800-811, May. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2007.894843
- A. Tuohy, P. Meibom, E. Denny, and M. O. Malley, "Unit Commitment for Systems With Significant Wind Penetration," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 592-601, May. 2009.
- T. Szantai, "A computer code for solution of probabilistic-constrained stochastic programming problems," Numerical techniques for stochastic optimization, pp. 229-235, 1988.
- H. Zhang and P. Li, "Chance Constrained Programming for Optimal Power Flow Under Uncertainty," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 26, no. 4, pp. 2417-2424, Nov. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2011.2154367
- H. Yu, C. Y. Chung, K. P. Wong, and J. H. Zhang, "A Chance Constrained Transmission Network Expansion Planning Method With Consideration of Load and Wind Farm Uncertainties," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 24, no. 3, pp. 1568-1576, Aug. 2009.
- U. A. Ozturk, M. Mazumdar, and B. A. Norman, "A solution to the stochastic unit commitment problem using chance constrained programming," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 19, no. 3, pp. 1589-1598, Aug. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2004.831651
- Q. Wang, J. Wang, and Y. Guan, "Stochastic Unit Commitment With Uncertain Demand Response," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 562-563, Feb. 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2012.2202201
- C. Zhao, Q. Wang, J. Wang, and Y. Guan, "Expected Value and Chance Constrained Stochastic Unit Commitment Ensuring Wind Power Utilization," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 2696-2705, Nov. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2014.2319260
- Q. Wang, Y. Guan, and J. Wang, "A Chance-Constrained Two-Stage Stochastic Program for Unit Commitment With Uncertain Wind Power Output," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 206-215, Feb. 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2011.2159522
- D. Pozo and J. Contreras, "A Chance-Constrained Unit Commitment With an n-K Security Criterion and Significant Wind Generation," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 28, no. 3, pp. 2842-2851, Aug. 2013.
- H. Wu, M. Shahidehpour, Z. Li, and W. Tian, "Chance-Constrained Day-Ahead Scheduling in Stochastic Power System Operation," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 29, no. 4, pp. 1583-1591, July. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2013.2296438
- H. Chen, Y. Kong, G. Li, and L. Bai, "Conditional value-at-risk-based optimal spinning reserve for wind integrated power system," Int. Trans. on Electrical Energy Syst., vol. 26, no. 8, pp. 1799-1809, Jan. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1002/etep.2180
- J. Luedtke, S. Ahmed, and G. Nemhauser, "An integer programming approach for linear programs with probabilistic constraints," Mathematical Programming, vol. 122, no. 2, pp. 247-272, April. 2010. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10107-008-0247-4
- D. Pozo, J. Contreras, and E. E. Sauma, "Unit Commitment With Ideal and Generic Energy Storage Units," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 29, no. 6, pp. 2974-2984, Nov. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2014.2313513
- E. Lannoye, D. Flynn, and M. O'Malley, "Transmission, Variable Generation, and Power System Flexibility," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 30, no. 1, pp. 57-66, Jan. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2014.2321793
- Y. Wen, C. Guo, H. Pandzic, and D. S. Kirschen, "Enhanced Security-Constrained Unit Commitment With Emerging Utility-Scale Energy Storage," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 31, no. 1, pp. 652-662, Jan. 2016. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2015.2407054
- X. Ye, Y. Qiao, Z. Lu, Y. Min, and N. Wang, "Study on Multi-scale Unit Commitment Optimization in the Wind-Coal Intensive Power System," Journal of Electrical Engineering and Technology, vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 1596-1604, Nov. 2013. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2013.8.6.1596
- W. Wu, B. Zhang, J. Chen, and T. Zhen, "Multiple time-scale coordinated power control system to accommodate significant wind power penetration and its real application," in IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting, 2012, pp. 1-6.
- W.-S. Tan and M. Shaaban, "Hybrid Stochastic/ Deterministic Unit Commitment with Wind Power Generation," in IEEE Eindhoven PowerTech, 2015, pp. 1-6.
- M. Carrion and J. M. Arroyo, "A Computationally Efficient Mixed-Integer Linear Formulation for the Thermal Unit Commitment Problem," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 21, no. 3, pp. 1371-1378, Aug. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2006.876672
- J. F. Restrepo and F. D. Galiana, "Assessing the Yearly Impact of Wind Power Through a New Hybrid Deterministic/Stochastic Unit Commitment," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 401-410, Feb. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2010.2048345
- P. Wong, P. Albrecht, R. Allan, R. Billinton, Q. Chen, C. Fong, et al., "The IEEE Reliability Test System-1996. A report prepared by the Reliability Test System Task Force of the Application of Probability Methods Subcommittee," IEEE Trans. Power Syst., vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 1010-1020, Aug. 1999. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.780914
- A. Truewind. A Report to the Ontario Power Authority (OPA) WIND GENERATION DATA. http://www.powerauthority.on.ca/integrated-powersystem-plan/simulated-wind-generation-data, March 24th 2016.