- Volume 12 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Identification of Inrush and Internal Fault in Indirect Symmetrical Phase Shift Transformer Using Wavelet Transform
- Bhasker, Shailendra Kumar (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology) ;
- Tripathy, Manoj (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology) ;
- Kumar, Vishal (Dept. of Electrical Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology)
- Received : 2016.06.07
- Accepted : 2017.04.20
- Published : 2017.09.01
This paper proposes an algorithm for the differential protection of an Indirect Symmetrical Phase Shift Transformer (ISPST) by considering the different behaviors of the compensated differential current under internal fault and magnetizing inrush conditions. In this algorithm, a criterion function is defined which is based on the difference of amplitude of the wavelet transformation over a specific frequency band. The function has been used for the discrimination between three phase magnetizing inrush and internal fault condition and requires less than a quarter cycle after disturbance. This method is independent of any coefficient or threshold values of wavelet transformation. The merit of this algorithm is demonstrated by the simulation of different faults in series and excitation unit and magnetizing inrush with varying switching conditions on ISPST using PSCAD/EMTDC. Due to unavailability of in-field large interconnected transformers for such a large number of destructive tests, the results are further verified by Real Time Digital Simulator (RSCAD/RTDS). The proposed algorithm has been compared with the conventional harmonic restraint based method that justifies the application of wavelet transform for differential protection of ISPST. The proposed algorithm has also been verified for different rating of ISPSTs and satisfactory results were obtained.
Differential protection;Internal fault;Magnetizing inrush current;Phase shift transformer;Wavelet transformation
- J. Verboomen, D. Van Hertem, P. Schavemaker, W. Kling, and R. Belmans, "Phase Shifting Transformers: Principles and Applications," in Proc. 2005 IEEE Digital Object Identifier Conf., pp. 1-6.
- J. Blade and A. Montoya, "Experiences with parallel EHV phase shifting transformers," IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 1096-1100, July 1991. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.85853
- IEEE Power system relaying Committee, "Protection of Phase Angle Regulating Transformers," pp. 1-58 Oct. 1999.
- M. A. Ibrahim and F. P. Stacom, "Phase angle regulating transformer protection," IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 394-404, Jan. 1994. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.277711
- R. A. Hedding, "Some Old and new thoughts on Phase angle Regulator Protection," in Proc. Protective Relay Engineers 63th IEEE Annual Conf., pp. 1-13, Mar. 2010.
- M. A. Rahman, and B. Jeyasurya, "A state-of-the-art review of transformer protection algorithms," IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 534-544, Apr. 1988. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.4290
- M. Tripathy, R. P. Maheshwari, and H. K. Verma, "Advances in transformer protection: A review," Elect. Power Component Syst., vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 1203-1209 Aug. 2006.
- A. G. Phadke, and J. S. Thorp, "A new computer based flux-restrained current differential relay for power transformer protection," IEEE Trans. on Power App. Syst., vol. PAS-102, no. 11, pp. 3624-3629, Nov. 1983. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPAS.1983.317711
- T. S. Sidhu, M. S. Sachdev, H. C. Wood, and M. Nagpal, "Design, implementation and testing of a micro-processor-based high-speed relay for detecting transformer winding faults," IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, vol. 7, no.1, pp.108-117, Jan. 1992. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.108896
- M. R. Zaman, and M. A. Rahman, "Experimental testing of the artificial neural network based protection of power transformer," IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 510-517, Apr. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.660922
- M. C. Shin, C. W. Park, and J. H. Kim, "Fuzzy logic based relaying for large power transformer protection," IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, vol. 18, no. 3, pp. 718-724, July 2013.
- T. Hayder, U. Schaerli, K. Feser, and L. Schiel, "Universal adaptive differential protection for regulating transformers," IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, vol. 23 no. 2, pp. 568-575, Apr. 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2008.916758
- Z. Gajic, "Use of Standard 87T Differential protection for special three-phase power transformers-Part I: Theory," IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 1035-1040, July 2012. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2012.2188650
- B. Kasztenny, and E. Rosolowski, "Modeling and Protection of Hexagonal Phase-Shifting Transformers -Part II: Protection," IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, vol. 23 no. 3, pp. 1351-1358, July 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2007.909217
- U. N. Khan, and T. S. Sidhu, "Protection of standarddelta phase shift transformer using terminal currents and voltages," Elect. Power Syst. Res., vol. 110, pp. 31-38, May 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2013.12.017
- U. N. Khan, and T. S. Sidhu, "New algorithm for the protection of delta-hexagonal phase shifting transformer," IET Gener. Transm. Distrib., vol. 8 no. 1, pp. 178-186, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd.2013.0135
- M. Geethanjali, S. M. R. Slochanal, and R. Bhavani, "PSO trained ANN based differential protection scheme for power transformers," 4th Int. Symposium on Neural Network: Algorithms and Applications, vol. 71, no. 4, pp. 904-918, Apr. 2007.
- Z. Moravej, D. N. Vishwakarma, and S. P. Singh, "ANN-based protection scheme for power transformer," Elect. Machine and Power Syst., vol. 28, no. 9, pp. 875-884, Nov. 2010.
- Z. Moravej, A. A. Abdoos, and M. Sanaye-Pasand, "Power transformer protection using improved Stransform," Elect. Power Compon. Syst., vol. 39, no. 11, pp. 1151-1174, Aug. 2011. https://doi.org/10.1080/15325008.2011.559614
- S. R. Samantaray, B. K. Panigrahi, P. K. Dash, and G. Panda, "Power transformer protection using S-transform with complex window and pattern recognition approach," IET Gener. Transm. Distrib., vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 278-286, Mar. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-gtd:20060206
- S. A. Saleh, and M. A. Rahman, "Modeling and Protection of a Three-Phase Power Transformer Using Wavelet Packet Transform," IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 1273-1282, Apr. 2005.
- S. Sendil kumar, B. L. Mathur, and J. Henry, "Differential Protection for Power Transformer Using Wavelet Transform and PNN," Electrical Power & Energy Systems Engin., vol. 3, no. 3, pp. 458-474, 2010.
- J. Faiz, and S. Lotfi-Fard, "A Novel Wavelet-Based Algorithm for Discrimination of Internal Faults From Magnetizing Inrush Currents in Power Transformers," IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, vol. 21, no. 4, pp. 1989-1996, Oct. 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2006.877095
- Y. Y. Hong, and C. W. Wang, "Switching detection/ classification using discrete wavelet transform and self-organizing mapping network," IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, vol. 20, no. 2, pp. 1662-1668, Apr. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2004.833921
- T. M. Lai, L. A. Snider, E. Lo, and D. Sutanto, "Highimpedance fault detection using discrete wavelet transform and frequency range and RMS conversion," IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 397-407, Jan. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2004.837836
- O. A. S. Youssef, "A wavelet-based technique for discrimination between faults and magnetizing inrush currents in transformers," IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, vol. 18, 1, pp. 170-176, Jan. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2002.803797
- Z.-L. Gaing, "Wavelet-based neural network for power disturbance recognition and classification," IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 1560-1568, Oct. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRD.2004.835281
- H. Monsef, S. Lotfi-Fard, "Internal fault current identification based on wavelet transform in power transformers," Elect. Power Syst. Res., vol. 77, no. 12, pp. 1637-1645, Oct. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsr.2006.11.013
- A. Guzman, S. Zocholl, G. Benmouryal, H. J. Altuve, "A current based solution for transformer differential protection-Part I: Problem statement," IEEE Trans. Power Delivery, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 485-491, Oct. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/61.956726
- U. N. Khan, "Modeling and protection of phase shifting Transformers," Doctor Thesis, Department of electrical and computer engineering, The University of Western Ontario London, Ontario, Canada 2013.