- Volume 12 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
A Study on Efficient Calculation of Effective Reactive Power Reserves Using Sensitivity Analysis
- Bae, Moonsung (School of Electrical Engineering, Korea University) ;
- Lee, Byongjun (School of Electrical Engineering, Korea University)
- Received : 2017.03.20
- Accepted : 2017.04.12
- Published : 2017.09.01
In recent academic and industrial circles of the Republic of Korea, the securement of available reactive power reserve against the line faults is at issue. Thus, simulations have been performed for the securing of effective reactive power reserve (effective Q) to prepare for the line faults and improve reactive power monitoring and control methods. That is, a research has been conducted for the fast-decoupled Newton-Raphson method. In this study, a method that distinguishes source and sink regions to carry out faster provision of information in the event of line fault has been proposed. This method can perform quantification with the formula that calculates voltage variations in the line flow. The line flow and voltage changes can be easily induced by the power flow calculation performed every second in the operation system. It is expected that the proposed method will be able to contribute to securement of power system stability by securing efficient reactive power. Also, the proposed method will be able to contribute to prepare against contingencies effectively. It is not easy to prepare quickly for the situation where voltage drops rapidly due to the exhaustion of reactive power source by observing voltage information only. This paper's simulation was performed on the large scale Korean power system in steady state.
Power system monitoring;Reactive power reserve;Reactive power sensitivity;Line flow sensitivity;Voltage collapse
Grant : Human Resources program in Energy Technology
Supported by : Korea Institute of Energy Technology Evaluation and Planning (KETEP)
- Thierry van Cutsem and Costas Vournas, Voltage Stability of Electric Power System: Springer, 1998, pp. 213-260.
- Bruno Leonardi and Venkataramana Ajjarapu, "An Approach for Real Time Voltage Stability Margin Control via Reactive Power Reserve Sensitivities," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 28, pp. 615-625, May 2013.
- R. A. Schlueter, "A Voltage Stability Security Assessment Method," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 13, pp. 1423-1438, Nov. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.736286
- S. Corsi, P. Marannino, N. Losignore, and G. Moreschini, "Coordination Between the Reactive Power Scheduling Function and the Hierarchical Voltage Control of the EHV ENEL System", IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 10, No. 2, pp. 686-694, May 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.387904
- Y. H. Choi, S. Seo, S. Kang and B. Lee, "Justification of Effective Reactive Power Reserves With Respect to a Particular Bus Using Linear Sensitivity," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 26, pp. 2118-2124, Nov. 2011.
- Mozafari, B., Ranjbar, A.M., Shirani, A.R., Mozafari, A., "Reactive power management in a deregulated power system with considering voltage stability: Particle Swarm optimisation approach," 18th International Conference and Exhibition on Electricity Distribution, Turin, Italy, June 2005.
- K. Morison, X. Wang, A. Moshref and A. Edris, "Identification of voltage control areas and reactive power reserve; an advancement in on-line voltage security assessment," 2008 IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting, Pittsburgh, PA, USA, July 2008.
- Prabha Kundur, "Power System Stability and Control," McGraw Hill, pp. 959-1024, 1994.
- Hwachang Song, Byongjun Lee, Sae-Hyuk Kwon and V. Ajjarapu, "Reactive Reserve-Based Contingency Constrained Optimal Power Flow (RCCOPF) for Enhancement of Voltage Stability Margins," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 18, pp. 1538-1546, Nov. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2003.818759
- B. Leonardi and V. Ajjarapu, "Investigation of various generator reactive power reserve (GRPR) definitions for online voltage stability/security assessment," 2008 IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting, Pittsburgh, PA, USA, July. 2008.
- R. A. Schlueter, Shu-Zhen Liu, K. Ben-Kilani, "Justification of the voltage stability security assessment and diagnostic procedure using a bifurcation subsystem method," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 15, pp. 1105-1111, Aug 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.871740
- Mala De and Swapan K. Goswami, "Optimal Reactive Power Procurement With Voltage Stability Consideration in Deregulated Power System," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 29, pp. 2078-2086, Sept. 2014. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2014.2308304
- Feng Dong, B. H. Chowdhury, M. L. Crow and L. Acar, "Improving voltage stability by reactive power reserve management," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 20, pp. 338-345, Feb. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2004.841241
- Wengpin Qin, Peng Wang, Xiaoqing Han and Xinhui Du, "Reactive Power Aspects in Reliability Assessment of Power Systems," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 26, pp. 85-92, Feb. 2011.
- Lixin Bao, Zhenyu Huang and Wilsun Xu, "Online voltage stability monitoring using VAr reserves," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 18, pp. 1461-1469, Nov. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPWRS.2003.818706
- H. Yoshida, K. Kawata, Y. Fukuyama, S. Takayama and Y. Nakanishi, "A particle swarm optimization for reactive power and voltage control considering voltage security assessment," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 15, pp. 1232-1239, Nov. 2000.
- Sangsoo Seo, Yun-Hyuk Choi, Sang-Gyun Kang, Jeong-Hoon Shin, Tae-Kyun Kim and Byongjun Lee, "Hybrid Control System for Managing Voltage and Reactive Power in the JEJU Power System," Journal of Electrical Engineering & Technology, vol. 4, pp. 429-437, Dec. 2009. https://doi.org/10.5370/JEET.2009.4.4.429