- Volume 15 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
The Mediating Effects of Interpersonal Competence on the Relationship between Emotion Regulation and Life Satisfaction of Adolescents
청소년의 정서조절능력과 삶의 만족도와의 관계에서 대인관계역량의 매개효과
- Lee, Si-Yeon (Seoul Jangsin University)
- 이시연 (서울장신대학교)
- Received : 2017.06.20
- Accepted : 2017.08.20
- Published : 2017.08.28
The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of emotion regulation on life satisfaction of adolescents on the mediating effect of interpersonal competence. The data of 3,404 middle school students in a study on Measurement of Korean Youth Competency and International Comparative Study II(2015) by the National Youth Policy Institute were analysed. The results of the study are: (1) emotion regulation was found a key factor affecting the life satisfaction of adolescents, (2) their emotion regulation affects interpersonal competence, (3) interpersonal competence affects life satisfaction, (4) interpersonal competence was proved to have a mediating effect between the effects of emotion regulation and life satisfaction. The implications and limitations are reviewed, as are the suggestions for future research.
Adolescent;Emotion regulation;Positive emotion regulation;Negative emotion regulation;Interpersonal competence;Life satisfaction
- J. S. Koo, E. K. Suh, "Happiness predicts objective academic performance", Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, Vol. 26, No. 2, pp.35-50, 2012.
- http://www.yonhapnews.co.kr, May 5, 2017.
- E. Diener, R. E. Lucas, S. Oishi, "Happiness: the science of happiness and a proposal for a national index", In C. R. Snyder, S. J. Lopez, Handbook of positive psychology, New York: Oxford University Press, 2002.
- E. Diener, "Subjective well-being", Psychological Bulletin, Vol. 95, pp.542-575, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1037/0033-2909.95.3.542
- E. Dinner, F. Fujita, "Life satisfaction set point: stability and change", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 88, No. 1, pp.158-164, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.199
- J. H. An, Y. Do. Yun, H. S. Lim, "The life satisfaction analysis of middle school students using Korean Children and Youth Panel Survey Data", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp.197-208.
- J. S. Koo, "Does happiness build psychological resources?", Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp.165-179, 2009.
- H. J. Song, S. T. Hwang, "Life satisfaction and internalizing and externalizing problem of adolescents: mediating effects of on ego-resiliency", Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 24, No. 2, pp.33-58, 2017. https://doi.org/10.21509/KJYS.2017.01.24.2.33
- H. K. Lee, S. J. Lee, E. J. Lee, S. A. Park, "Psychology of emotion", Seoul: Bobmunsa, 2005.
- S. H. Jang, S. O. Kim, "The effect of adolescent's emotional regulation and parenting behavior on school adjustment", Human Life Sciences, Vol. 14, pp.89-115, 2011.
- S. Silk, L. Steinberg, S. Morris, "Adolescent's emotion regulation in daily life: links to depressive symptoms and problem behavior", Child Development, Vol. 74, No. 6, pp.1869-1880, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1467-8624.2003.00643.x
- A. McLaughlin, L. Hatzenbuehler, S. Mennin, S. Nolen-Hoeksema, "Emotion dysregulation and adolescent psychopathology: a prospective study", Behavior Research and Therapy, Vol. 49, No. 9, pp.544-554, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.brat.2011.06.003
- M. E. P. Seligman, "Authentic happiness: using the new positive psychology to realize your potential for lasting fulfillment", New York: Free Press, 2002.
- Y. H. Lee, S. H. Jeong, W. Y. Choi, "Effects of cognitive emotion regulation strategies by gender difference on peer relationship of middle school students", Korean Journal of Counseling, Vol. 15, No. 6, pp.2491-2508, 2014. https://doi.org/10.15703/kjc.15.6.201412.2491
- E. Y. Kim, I. H. Park, Y. K. Kim, C. M. Lee, "Perceived stress and depression in adolescence: on the mediating effects of optimism and emotional regulation", Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, Vol. 15, No. 2, pp.373-388, 2015.
- S. H. Kim, J. K, Kim, "The effect of parent attachment in adolescent on internet addiction tendency: the mediating effects emotional regulation ability", Korean Journal of Clinical Psychology, Vol. 35, No. 1, pp.265-281, 2016. https://doi.org/10.15842/kjcp.2016.35.1.013
- H. W. Kim, I. S. Oh, "Mediating effect of interpersonal problem between cognitive emotion regulation strategies and psychological well-being of adolescents", The Korean Journal of Youth Counseling, Vol. 24, No. 1, pp.151-171, 2016.
- T. J. Kim, E. S. Shin, K. H. Lee, K. Y. Jang, S. M. Son, "A study on supportive policies for competency promotion in development stage of life", Korean Educational Development Institute, 2008.
- S. H. Clarkson, "The international field in transactional analysis", TA Journal, Vol. 22, pp.92-98, 1992.
- I. N. Kwon, T. K. Kim, "A study longitudinal mediating effect affecting academic performance of the youth", Journal of Future Oriented Youth Society, Vol. 6, No. 1, pp.1-22, 2009.
- R. Larson, M. H. Richards, "Daily companionship in late childhood and early adolescence: changing developmental contexts", Child Development, Vol. 62, No. 2, pp.284-300, 1991. https://doi.org/10.2307/1131003
- L. Bridges, S. Denham, J. Ganiban, "Definitional issues in emotion regulation research", Child Development, Vol. 75, pp.340-345, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8624.2004.00675.x
- R. L. Repetti, S. E. Taylor, T. E. Seeman, "Risky families: family social environments and the mental and physical health of offspring", Psychological Bulletin, Vol. 128, pp.330-366, 2012.
- C. Y. Shin, S. H. Yoo, K. M. Yun, "Relationship between maternal response to children's negative emotions and interpersonal problems of university students: a mediating effect of ambivalence over emotional expression", Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 20, No. 12, pp.131-151, 2013.
- G. S. Jeon, "A study on the happiness factors of adolescents", Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 23, No. 10, pp.411-429, 2016. https://doi.org/10.21509/KJYS.2016.10.23.10.411
- F. B. Bryant, "Savoring beliefs inventory(SBI): a scale for measuring beliefs about savoring", Journal of Mental Health, Vol. 12, pp.175-196, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1080/0963823031000103489
- H. G. Lee, "Determinants of subjective well-being among Korean youth: focusing on socio-demographic and social capital factors", Studies on Life and Culture, Vol.39, Feb., pp.151-186, 2016.
- S. J. Lee, Y. W. Chun, W. Y. Jung, S. K. Han, "Grades, social relations, and happiness among middle-school students: a gender comparison", Korean Journal of Sociology of Education, Vol. 26, No. 1, pp.121-154, 2016.
- K. Y. Jang, E. M. Sung, H. I. Choi, S. H. Jin, K. H. Kim, "A study on measurement of Korean youth competency and international comparative study II: IEA ICCS 2016", National Youth Policy Institute, 2015.
- A. R. Choi, S. Lee, "The effects of harm avoidence and novelty seeking temperament on emotional regulation among Korean adolescents: mediating effects of social support", The Journal of Play Therapy, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp.29-48, 2016.
- R. M. Baron, D. A. Kenny, "The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations", Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol. 51, No. 6, pp.1173-1182, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.523
- S. R. Lee, E. K. Kim, H. S. Yoon, "The effect of happiness in the adolescents on the youth developments in Korea", Social Science and Policy Research, Vol. 26, Winter, pp.413-438, 2015.
- Y. J. Kwak, "Development of emotional management program for adolescents' happiness and psychological well-being", The Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 15, No. 11, pp.227-237, 2015.
- M. S. Jeon, I. N. Kwon, "A study on the development of youth interpersonal relationship competency program", Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 19, No. 6, pp.149-177, 2012.
- Y. A. Jang, Y. J. Lee, "A study of adolescent's happiness and adolescent's perception of parent-child communication, peer relationships, study stress", Youth Facilities and Environment, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp.147-156, 2015.
- H. S. Im, J. Y. Park, "Child's sex, temperament, mother's emotion regulation and parenting as related to child's emotion regulation", Korean Journal of Child Studies, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp.37-54, 2002.
- S. J. Kim, K. S. Son, "The development and verification of effect of emotion regulation competence activity group counseling program for runaway youth", Korean Journal of Social Welfare Studies, Vol. 35, No. 4, pp.409-439, 2007.