- Volume 15 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
Effects of Virtual Reality Images on Body Stability : Focused on Hand Stability
VR 영상이 신체 안정성에 미치는 영향 : 손 안정성을 중심으로
- Han, Seung Jo (Agency for Defense Development) ;
- Kim, Sun-Uk (Dankook University) ;
- Koo, Kyo-Chan (Dankook University) ;
- Lee, Kyun-Joo (Metaport corp.) ;
- Cho, Min-Su (Wintech.)
- Received : 2017.07.01
- Accepted : 2017.08.20
- Published : 2017.08.28
The purpose of this paper is to present the effect of image stimulation on body stability as a conceptual model and to investigate the effect of image stimulus(2D, VR) on body stability(hand stability) through experiments Recently, stereoscopic images such as virtual and augmented reality are combined with smart phones and exercise equipments, and the diffusion is becoming active. The possibility of a safety accident or human error is also increasing as it temporarily affects the balance of the body and hand stability after the image stimulus is removed. The conceptual model is presented based on the results of previous studies. Based on the experimental results, the conceptual model has been explained in combination with the human information processing process and cognitive resource models that take place in the brain. Twenty subjects were exposed to 2D and VR stimuli, and display fatigue was measured by cybersickness questionnaire and hand stability by hand steadiness tester. Experimental results show that VR images induce higher display fatigue and lower hand stability than 2D. In this study, it is meaningful that hand stability according to image type and display fatigue level which have not been tried yet is revealed through conceptual model and experiment.
Virtual Reality;Conceptual Model;Hand Stability;Postural Unstability;Display Fatigue
Grant : Immersive VR MTB Game and Interlocking 5D Simulator Development
Supported by : Institute for Information & communications Technology Promotion (IITP)
- Choi, S. H., "The 4th Industrial Revolution, Job creating strategic", Issue&Analysis, Vol. 273, pp. 1-24, 2017.
- Ballantyle, N., Wong, Y. C., and Morgan, G., "Human services and the forth industrial revolution: From husITa 1987 to husITa 2016", Journal of Technology in Human Services, Vol. 35. No. 1, pp. 1-7, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1080/15228835.2017.1277900
- Lee, Y., "Problem of Definition on Mixed Reality and Its Alternative, and Relationship of Virtual/Augmented Reality", Journal of Korea Design Knowledge, Vol. 34, pp. 193-202, 2015.
- Han, S. J., Kim, S. U., Cho, J. H., and Koo, K. C., "Ergonomic evaluation of indoor bike coordinated with virtual images", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 15, No. 5, pp. 443-451, 2017.
- Park, S. I., Whang, M. C., and Kim, J. W., "Autonomic nervous systems response to affected by 3D visual fatigue evoked during watching 3D TV", Korea Society for Emotion and Sensitivity, Vol. 14, No. 4. pp. 653-662, 2001.
- http://ppss.kr/archives/7716, Accessed on 29 June 2017.
- Kim, S. Y., "(A) study on the optimum viewing conditions of the 3D stereoscopic image according to the size of display", Yonsei University, M.S. Thesis, 2011.
- Han, S. J., "Quantitative analysis of display fatigue induced by 2D, 3D videos", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 329-335, 2016. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2016.14.3.329
- Kim, S. U., and Han, S. J., "The relationship between visual stress and MBTI personality types", The Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 13, No. 9, pp. 4036-4044, 2012. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2012.13.9.4036
- Kim, J., Son, J., Park, S., and Kwon, S., "Clinical consideration of visual fatigue on 3D images", The Journal of the Korean Institute of Communication Sciences, Vol. 38, No. 11, pp. 990-999, 2013.
- Kim, S. U., Han, S. J., and Koo, K. C., "Analysis of display fatigue induced by HMD-based virtual reality bicycle", The Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 18, No. 5, pp. 692-699, 2017.
- Kang, H., Jang, Y., Kim, U., and Hong, H., "Study of the change of the fatigue and the visual function before and after viewing 2D and 3D movies", Korean Journal of Vision Science, Vol. 18, No. 2, pp. 121-133, 2016. https://doi.org/10.17337/JMBI.2016.18.2.121
- Valerie, G., and Cobb, G., "Measurement of postural stability before and after immersion in a virtual environment", Applied Ergonomics, Vol. 30, No. 1, pp. 47-57, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-6870(98)00038-6
- Choi, J. A., "Effects of scene movements on cybersickness in virtual environment", KAIST M.S. Thesis, 2001.
- Hakkinen, J., Vuori, T., and Paakka, M., "Postural stability and sickness symptoms after HMD use", Proceeding of IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Vol. 1, pp. 147-152, 2002.
- Lee, J. S., and Park, D. J., "Differential Effects of 2D and 3D motion pictures on physical fatigue, recognition and arousal : Focused on viewing order and viewer's gender difference", Korean Society for Emotion and Sensibility, Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 621-634, 2010.
- Han, S. J., Kim, S. U., and Koo, K, C., "Effects of exercise intensity on hand steadiness", Society of Korea Industrial and Systems Engineering, Vol. 36, No. 1, pp. 1-7, 2013.
- Corr. P. J., and Kumari, V., "Sociability/impulsivity and attenuated dopaminergic arousal : Critical flicker fusion/frequency and procedural learning", Personality and Individual Differences, Vol. 22, No. 6, pp. 805-815, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0191-8869(96)00279-6
- Wickens, C. D., Lee, J. D., Lie, Y., and Becker, S. E. G., An introduction to human factors engineering (2en ed.), pp. 367-378, Prentice Hall, 2004.
- Kwon, S. H., and Bang, E. Y., "Study on 3D pictures and human facts : Comparison of 2D and 3D receptions by measuring brainwaves", Proceeding of Human-Computer Interaction Korea, pp. 943-947, 2012.
- Wee, S. W., "The analysis of factros inducing visual asthenopia with viewing 3D displays", Chung-Ang University M.D. Thesis, 2013.
- Yoon, J. H., Lee, I., Kim, T., and Kim J., "Visual fatigue in watching 3 dimension television", J. Korean Oph. Opt. Soc., Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 47-52, 2012.
- Bae, B. R., AMOS 24 : Structural Equation Modeling, pp. 134-136, Chung-Ram, 2017.