- Volume 15 Issue 8
DOI QR Code
The Convergent Effect of Self-esteem, Depression, and Social support on Suicidal ideation in University Students
대학생의 자아존중감, 우울, 사회적 지지가 자살사고에 미치는 융복합적 영향
- Lee, Sun-young (Dept. of Nursing Kongju National University) ;
- Kim, Yun-young (Dept. of Nursing Andong National University) ;
- Lee, Jeong-sook (Dept. of Nursing Sangmyung University)
- Received : 2017.07.01
- Accepted : 2017.08.20
- Published : 2017.08.28
The purpose of the study was to investigate the effect of self-esteem, depression, and social support on suicidal ideation in university students. A self-reported questionnaire was completed by 220 university students from September to November 2015. The study instruments comprised self-esteem, depression, social support, and suicidal ideation. The data were analyzed by descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA, Pearson's correlation coefficients, and multiple linear regression using SPSS/WIN 21.0 program. The result showed that the difference of suicidal ideation by general characteristics was significant in major satisfaction(F=5.222, p=.006). The significant factors influencing suicidal ideation of university students were self-esteem(
University Students;Self-esteem;Depression;Social support;Suicidal ideation;Convergence
- Ministry of Health and Welfare Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, "Korea Health Statistics 2015 : Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (KNHANES VI-3).", Ministry of Health and Welfare, pp.30-113, 2016.
- S. H. Kang, "A Study on the Factors influencing the Suicide Ideation of University Students-Moderating Effects of Social Support and Mediating Effects of Depression-.", Ph.D. dissertation, pp.18-99, Cheongju University, 2012.
- S. H. Kim, M. K. Kim, H. O. Back, "The Effects of the Self-esteem and Frustration on Suicidal Ideation of University Students.", Journal of Correctional Welfare, Vol. 46, No. 2, pp.1-18, 2017.
- J. S. Lee, "Factors As sociated wi th Suicidal Ideation among College Student.", Ph.D. dissertation, pp.11-138, Wonkwang University, 2014.
- V. R. Wilburn, D. E Smith, "Stress, self-esteem, and suicidal ideation in late adolescents.", Adolescence, Vol. 40, No. 157, pp.33-45, 2005.
- N. J. Botega, M. B. A. Barros, H. B. Oliveira, P. Dalgalarrondo, L. Marin-Leon, "Suicidal behavior in the community: Prevalence and factors associated with suicidal ideation.", Rev. Bras. Psiquiatr. Vol. 27, No. 1, pp.45-53, 2005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S1516-44462005000100011 https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-44462005000100011
- J. K. Kang, S. N. Jeon, H. G. Shin, "The Influence of Self Perfectionism, Depression and Hopelessness on Suicidal Ideation in University students.", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 10, pp.527-536, 2013.
- Y. H. Park, "Effects of Depression, Self-Esteem, and Social Support on Suicidal Ideation in College Students.", Child Health Nursing Research, Vol. 23, No. 1, pp.111-116, 2017. DOI: https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2017.23.1.111 https://doi.org/10.4094/chnr.2017.23.1.111
- M. S. Ko, "Cognitive Emotion Regulation and Resilience Differences in Stress, Depression, and Suicidal Ideation in University Students.", The Society for Cognitive Enhancement and Intervention, Vol. 7, No. 3, pp.69-86, 2016.
- D. D. Leo, E. Cerin, K. Spathonis, S. Burgis, "Lifetime risk of suicide ideation and attempts in an Australian community: Prevalence, suicidal process, and help-seeking behaviour.", Journal of Affective Disorders, Vol. 86, No. 2-3, pp.215-224, 2005. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2005.02.001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2005.02.001
- J. U. Kim, Y. O. Ji, "The Mediating Effects of Social Support between Job-Seeking Stress, Depression and Suicidal Ideation on University Students.", Journal of Learner-Centered Curriculum and Instruction, Vol. 16, No. 12, pp.1313-1334, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.22251/jlcci.2016.16.12.1313 https://doi.org/10.22251/jlcci.2016.16.12.1313
- Y. H. Kim, M. S. Yang, H. R. Park, "A Study on a Relationship Between University Students Life Stress and Suicidal Ideation: Mediating Effect of Mental Health.", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 13, No. 11, pp.291-301, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.11.291 https://doi.org/10.14400/JDC.2015.13.11.291
- E. J. Yoo, S. K. Kim, S .H. Joung, "A study on stress of college life and self-efficacy on depression among students from beauty-related colleges.", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 9, pp.279-287, 2013. https://doi.org/10.14400/JDPM.2013.11.11.279
- J. Y. Kim, "Suicide-Related Behaviors among College Students and suicide prevention.", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 10, No. 11, pp.525-533, 2012.
- M. Rosenberg, "Society and the adolescents self-image.", Princeton, NJ: Princeton: Princeton University Press, p.347, 1965.
- W. W. K. Zung, "A self-rating depression scale.", Arch Gen Psychiatry, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp. 63-70, 1965. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.1965.01720310065008
- H. Cohen, M. Hoberman, "Positive event and social support as buffers of life change stress.", Journal of Applied Social Psychology, Vol. 13, pp. 99-125, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1559-1816.1983.tb02325.x
- A. T. Beck, M. Kovacs, A. Weissman, "Assessment of suicidal intention: The Scale for Suicide Ideation.", Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, Vol. 47, No. 2, pp.343-352, 1979. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.47.2.343 https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-006X.47.2.343
- B. S. Park, H. Cho, B. J. Park, "Relationship of Critical Thinking Disposition, Self-esteem and Job-seeking Stress of Nursing Students.", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 16, No. 2, pp.1109-1117, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.2.1109 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.2.1109
- Y. H. Lee, H. K. Kim, N. S. Kim, "Mediating Effects of Self-esteem and Social Support on the Relationship between Physical, Psychological Symptoms and Campus Life Satisfaction of Students.", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 11, No. 10, pp.483-492, 2013.
- H. S. Jeon, M. R. Lee, "Influence of self-esteem and Appearance Satisfaction on Job-seeking Stress in Nursing and Health Care related Students.", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 17, No. 12, pp.643-651, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.12.643 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.12.643
- K. M. Yang, "The Effect of Self-Esteem and Depression on Smartphone Addiction among University Students.", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp.113-123, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.1.113 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2016.7.1.113
- R. Y. Erol, U. Orth, "Self-Esteem and the Quality of Romantic Relationships.", European Psychologist, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp.274-283, 2016. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1027/1016-9040/a000259 https://doi.org/10.1027/1016-9040/a000259
- K. A. Chung, J. H. Cho, "Differences between Major Satisfaction, University Life Adjustment, Self-Esteem and Career Identity according to the Time of Department Selection of Students in the Department of Occupational Therapy at One University.", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 6, No. 5, pp.143-155, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.143 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2015.6.5.143
- U. S. Park, Y. C. Cho, "The Effect of Social Supports, Psychological Behaviors, and Stress on the Depression Symptoms of College Students - Validation of Casual Model using Covariance Structure Analysis-.", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol. 18, No. 6, pp.209-218, 2017. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.6.209 https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2017.18.6.209
- H. O. Jeon, "The Influence of Job-seeking Stress, Adult Attachment and Self-assertiveness, on Depression among Korean College Students.", Journal of the Korea Contents Association, Vol. 14 No. 7, pp.312-323, 2014.
- H. Y. Jung, "The Convergence Influence of Life Stress, Depression and Ego Resiliency on College Life Adaptation in Nursing Students.", Journal of Digital Convergence, Vol. 14 No. 7, pp.259-268, 2016.
- I. K. Seo, Y. S. Lee, "The effect of university student's job-seeking stress on depression and despair: control effect of social support.", Journal of Future Oriented Youth Society, Vol. 12, No. 1, pp.117-147, 2015.
- L. S. Chon, H. J. Cho, "A Convergence Study on Social Support and Life's Satisfaction of the Marriage Immigrant Women.", Journal of the Korea Convergence Society, Vol. 8, No. 6, pp.359-368, 2017. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.6.359 https://doi.org/10.15207/JKCS.2017.8.6.359
- S. M. Yang, K. Park, "The Influence of University Students's Depression on Suicidal Ideation: The Mediation Effects of Self-Compassion.", Korean Journal of Youth Studies, Vol. 22, No. 8, pp.105-130, 2015.
- R. L. Walker, L. R. R. Wingate, E. M. Obasi, T. E. Joiner, "An empirical investigation of acculturative stress and ethnic identity as moderators for depression and suicidal ideation in college students.", Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, Vol. 14, No. 1, pp.75-82, 2008. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/1099-9809.14.1.75 https://doi.org/10.1037/1099-9809.14.1.75